Helmet suggestions

Graves

So I bought the New GMax GM69S helmet. It is a nice piece of kit but it has some draw backs. Being that it is noisy at anything above 50. The second is at 65 on up it starts whistling like Fred Lowery minus a good tune. So I’m thinking of sending it back but does anyone have any Suggestions on a sub $200 helmet that is a Neutral – Round shape with ok Venting and fairly Quiet.

Other options I’ve looked at are:

Joe Rocket RKT Rime

HJC FS-15 – If one can be found still

AFX FX-95

Bell Vortex - I've been told it has alot of wind noise though.

Does anyone have any experience with these?

I know the sub $200 limits me a bit but, with 2 kids (6mo/3.5yr) in Daycare and my wife doing her Masters for the next 3 years money is tight.

Thanks,

Chris

• Member Contributer

Earplugs

You can get a bag full for $5. :tour:

• Member Contributer

Whichever brand you go with, make sure it is very snug without giving you hot spots or a headache. If it feels perfect the first time you put it on, it will end up way too loose. The same model with a snug fit will be considerably quieter.

As for the brands and models, you will have to weigh the importance of ventilation vs noise. The design of the vents can make a difference, so a well vented lid of one brand may be less noisy than a poorly vented one of another. My Arai Corsair, properly fitted, is just as quiet as the last HJC helmet I had, and it had nowhere near the ventilation. I know the Arai isn't in your budget, but that's just an example, not a suggestion.

Shoei historically has had a round profile and you can catch some of their non-replica previous year models down around your price. Scorpion, Shark, HJC, KBC, all have some decent models around that price point, and Bell has risen from the ashes with a couple of good lids, but I have no experience on noise or head shape with any of them except some long out of production HJC models. Try a bunch on, find out what fits, then do some online research on noise. Don't be afraid to walk around the store for a while with the lid on to see if you get hot spots. Without knowing what is going to fit you, the question becomes more of a scatter gun approach.

• Member Contributer

My wife has a scorpion EXO400 and it rivals my shoei RF1100 in quality, but it does not vent as well. It vents pretty well and fits me well since I have a round shaped head. Before purchasing my shoei I had a SparX S07 special edition that I used for a few years. The helmet vents pretty well, is light, the quality is very good for the price ($120), plus it comes with a dark smoke and clear visor.

• Member Contributer

I just sold my HJC helmet and purchased a Speed & Strength. It fits better, less noise, lighter, and does alot better in the wind. It was less than $200. I probably still need to wear earplugs, I just haven't gotten around to getting any yet. The only thing I don't like is I can't wear my sunglasses with it. I will have to get a tinted face shield for it I guess.

• Member Contributer

I just sold my HJC helmet and purchased a Speed & Strength. It fits better, less noise, lighter, and does alot better in the wind. It was less than $200. I probably still need to wear earplugs, I just haven't gotten around to getting any yet. The only thing I don't like is I can't wear my sunglasses with it. I will have to get a tinted face shield for it I guess.

For me, a tinted face shield is safer because sunglasses block some of my peripheral vision. I throw a clear shield in the tank bag for low light conditions.

• Member Contributer

I recently tried a Scorpion exo1000. I wear glasses and even though I ordered a size larger than I usually wear, I couldn't put my glasses on. I usually use a Shoei TZR and have no trouble with it. I'm posting this just in case you are eye sight challenged. :smile:

• Member Contributer

Some godless savage stole my Icon Variant from my yard, so I now follow this thread.

Someone stole a used, funny-looking, flat-black motorcycle helmet with a red dragon sticker on it out of a cop's yard?

Ah... Maryland in the Springtime. :sad:

• Member Contributer

Some godless savage stole my Icon Variant from my yard, so I now follow this thread.

Where's a cop when you need one? :goofy:

I know how you feel. I had two chainsaws stolen from my front yard while I was dumping brush in a gully. I saw them pull up and take it, but their car was faster than my tractor. One of the SOB's even waved at me as they drove away.

• Member Contributer

The EXO1000's (or 700) are hard to beat for the price. The flip up / down, tinted, half shield on the 1000 is great. I recently found

a brand new Shark RSI on CL for $100, it's light, fairly quiet and allows very good peripheral vision. I just ordered a tinted shield so

I can use it on sunny days. It all depends on your noggin and what's comfortable though.

• 2 weeks later...

I used an HJC CL-SP for my first few years of riding and it's a decent budget helmet. Fairly quiet and I even crash tested one and it saved my noggin. They are a little on the heavier side at 1700 grams plus. They are discontinued now so you can find one for under$100. It had very favorable reviews are on webbikeworld.

My current helmet is an AGV K3 with the Rossi "dreamtime" graphic. I love this lid for it's fit and weight. The shield fogs a little easier on cold days than the HJC, however the visor can be cracked open just a hair so depending on your climate this may be a non-issue. Graphics are gorgeous and I found mine for under $200. Solid color versions are less than $150.

[media=]

[/media]

I have a fairly round head so these two helmets fit me very well. The most important thing to consider when buying a helmet is fit, so make sure your head shape is compatible.

Archived