Aftermarket Accessory Sockets?

Looking to add on a gps for trips, however, I need to get power to the thing. Honda sells a 12V accessory socket for $100 and then you turn around and buy the accessory wiring harness for another $20. Seems steep to me. Anyone found a cheaper way?

• Member Contributer

I just went to radio shack and bought a cigarette lighter pig tail and a relay. Cost me $17. If you only wanted it for the GPS, you could hard wire it in and forget the cig lighter.

This link is one that belongs to our member here on this forum.. He has, and makes eletric equipment for VFR's.

And if you have any questions after looking on his site for what you want, you can get in touch with him and ask.

He goes by the handle " Tightwad " on here.

http://www.wiremybike.com/

I just hardwired it to the battery terminals. I always take the GPS off the bike or turn it off when the bike is parked or stored. On my other bike I put in a switched/relay and wiring block for all the accessories.

Here's a link to the site for the wiring block - Eastern Beaver PC-8

Thanks for the information, everyone.

Emko, I think I'm going to try your way. You are right...it does look like it belongs there. I have a couple of questions for you, though:

- Which brand of socket did you use? It looks like a Tusk 12V socket (see below). For some reason, the connection point on your VFR looks a bit different than mine but if I get the right part I think I can figure it out.

- Can you give any help as to where I'm to connect into the wiring? Will I have to cut into factory wiring or is it a simple connection?

Monk, thanks for your help on my frequent questions. I like the set-up you have for your GPS, however, I don't have the same bolt you used for your connection. Have you seen connections that fit into the center nut of the bars? Also, I'm looking at GPS systems and am not sure if you can pre-plan (in detail) your route on them. Do you do this with yours? I'd use my phone but I can't find an app that will do this.

Again, thanks for the help...the trip is in June so I'm scrambling a bit...

290567838988_16.jpg

@ slooman

I used exactly the same 12V socket. What I did was to cut-shape the bracket a little bit with a cardboard knife and I drilled a hole in it in order to connect it to one of the lock's side bolts. I think this is the best place for it. It's up to you, though. Be aware that the original bolt is not long enough to support the bracket and you will need to get another one, 1 cm longer. At first, I thought that it would be best to get switched power but it proved inconvenient, as you will have to leave the bike's key on Contact position every time you need to charge something when you're not riding. This could rundown the battery of your bike cause of the headlights on and everything. So in the end I ran a cable through the frame and connected the socket directly to the battery. It makes it easier when you remove the side fairing, this is where I installed the fuse to the plus cable and the connected the ground cable.

Cool. I'll order the part today. It looks like you use the adapter ring portion and toss the handle bar mount portion. You'd then need to drill a hole into the ring for the bolt. The bolt that needs replacing is the bolt from the bike or the bolt from the socket? Was the wiring long enough to make it to the battery (38" looks close)? I'm sure this will make sense once I can pull the thing apart. I can write again when the piece is in...

Thanks again.

Yes, I used the adapter ring only after cutting off by the edge the rest of the handle bar mount. Then shape it in a way to leave just enough space for the bolt hole. There is no bolt to the socket. - the bolt you need to replace is the one that goes up from underneath the lock and the nut is imbedded in the lock cover, so you don't see/touch it. When I replaced the bold I did cut the new bolt to be long enough just to add the adapter ring, so you really need a new bolt just 3mm longer (and not 1cm like I said in my previous post)! Otherwise if you use a longer bolt it might hit the end of the lock cover without fully tightened. The wiring s not long enough - mine was like 10cm short of closing to the battery. It might look long enough but only when it's a straight line.... Just use an extension cable but make sure you place the extension connection away from the engine bloc (I placed the extension connection behind the fairing).

You can buy a marine power port and wiring for less than $15, but if the oem is really nice and direct plug and play and mounting, maybe worth the money.

I would not recommend the OEM part... It may look cool but it's too expensive and for such a small add-on. You need the harness too (sold separately) and also the plug uses switched power, so the bike must be on in order to use it. In fact, I believe the only two things from the Honda Original Accessories Catalogue worth buying are the touring windscreen and the rear mud guard.

If you are interested, this is where you can buy those two original parts at a VERY reasonable price:

http://www.powerspor...63-MGE-100.html

http://www.powerspor...80-MGE-100.html

OEM socket: http://www.powerspor...70-MGE-100.html

OEM socket harness: http://www.powerspor...30-MGE-100.html

I bought the rear mud guard from there and delivered to Europe with duty fee, VAT and everything it came up to 104 euro. For example, the Honda catalogue lists that part at 172 euro PLUS delivery.....

Skimball,

Looks like the solution I'm looking for, where will you mount it? Let us know how you get on as I'm very curious to see if I can do it myself.

Also, will it be long enough? Waterproof enough?

Ideally I'd just have a USB port that's waterproof, saves me from faffing about with an extra USB plug:

http://www.burnsmoto.com/usb-power-socket-weatherproof.php

Apparently it also converts the 12V to the 5V. Since all devices I have to charge also have a USB charger, this seems a better solution for me.

Anybody can give me hint on how long the cable should be?

$ 40 includes shipping, not bad!

I just ordered the Burnsmoto usb plug with the SAE option, as I've a battery tender already wired. I'm hoping this takes care of my powercord needs. Once in awhile charging of a phone is fine. The real thing I'm after is a way to power my yet-to-be purchased GPS.

The only issue I'm thinking of now is that I've limited myself to only charging one thing at a time. Maybe I've limited myself too much here...

Skimball,

Looks like the solution I'm looking for, where will you mount it? Let us know how you get on as I'm very curious to see if I can do it myself.

Ideally I'd just have a USB port that's waterproof, saves me from faffing about with an extra USB plug:

http://www.burnsmoto...eatherproof.php

Apparently it also converts the 12V to the 5V. Since all devices I have to charge also have a USB charger, this seems a better solution for me.

Thanks for the link.

I have just ordered one for me. That site provide world wide shipping and total cost of mine just $30.95.

I can easily find a switch and fuse here and ready for installation.

Thanks again.

Skimball,

That SAE plugged one looks nice but the two items I purchased will be ok for half the price. The only things I don't like about the Burns Moto is the red wire (which does not look stealth with a black frame) and only one USB port @ 1 amp. The usb insert I ordered has two 1 amp sockets and will be flush with the end of the 12v adapter so the cap on the 12v adapter will still close. I plan on using zip ties to mount it.

That SAE plugged one looks nice but the two items I purchased will be ok for half the price. The only things I don't like about the Burns Moto is the red wire (which does not look stealth with a black frame) and only one USB port @ 1 amp. The usb insert I ordered has two 1 amp sockets and will be flush with the end of the 12v adapter so the cap on the 12v adapter will still close. I plan on using zip ties to mount it.

Thanks, I'm not too bothered about two ports, and the upside is that you can actually charge something while it's raining (with the rubber seal). Also, I think I'll find a place for the usb port easier than for the 12V plug.

I was wondering if the cap would close with the plug inside, good that it does!

• 3 weeks later...

Skimball,

Thanks for the link.

I have just ordered one for me.

Got it today. Solid and good stuff. USPS first-class took 16 days only to deliver to my desk in Vietnam. Great speed.

VietHorse,

Let me know where you're fitting this on your 1200. I need some ideas! (I'll be running the usb from my SAE battery tender)

Thanks

Well, mine is 6th Gen, '07.

Just now take the USB socket and walking around my bike, have no idea where to mount it.

However, there are some locations, on the inside side farings or attach to the power key socket. I purposely locate the outlet at the bike front.

6th gen...okay, got it.

Still, I'm of the same mind. I'd like to keep it up front. Easier to plug in a GPS and/or mobile device while in or on the tank bag. I ordered the 48" cord trying to play it safe, thinking I'd just find a way to stash the excess cord. Better too long than just short, imho.

Thanks

• Member Contributer

I have a powerlet and it has always worked great...many options as far as connectivity goes.

• 6 months later...

Figured I would dig up an old thread instead of creating a new one...

I'm looking at picking up something similar to the burnsmoto weatherproof USB plug here:

http://www.burnsmoto.com/usb-power-socket-weatherproof.php

Instead of running wires back to the battery and install a relay, I'd rather fit the bare wires with a molex connector that snaps directly to my quartet harness.

So here is my question/concern. I know that the quartet harness plug is fused (5 Amp or so) and from what I've seen, the $100 OEM 12v adapter is NOT fused (Someone please confirm/deny). With that said, should I run a fuse anyways? I figure it can't hurt, BUT the fuse probably won't be easily accessable since I'll most likely put the fuse near the molex connector to clean things up.

Thoughts/comments?

Archived