Aftermarket Accessory Sockets?

• Member Contributer

Another concern that has come up for me is output amperage of these USB chargers. If you are needing to power certain devices like late model smartphones that you want to run continuously to display a GPS map or an iPad, you will need the 2.1A output. 1A won't cut it.

Another concern that has come up for me is output amperage of these USB chargers. If you are needing to power certain devices like late model smartphones that you want to run continuously to display a GPS map or an iPad, you will need the 2.1A output. 1A won't cut it.

Good point. I learned that looking for a car charger for my GPS when the original one broke.

Bought a little cylindrical converter that plugs into the lighter (by PNY, small and barely sticks out) and puts out 2 amp 5 volts to a USB jack,

from Frys Electronics for $3 or $5. Then all I needed was a USB cable. Which I had. OK, this was in my truck, no gps on the bike.

But, $120 is loco. :rolleyes:

• Member Contributer

Why not get a regular cigar lighter and an adapter? You could get adapters for BMW style, coax style and the USB and you'd be covered. If you go unswitched direct to battery you can backfeed a Battery Tender with the right adapter, all Powerlet stuff.

I have used the one from BurnsMoto with this spec: "Powers down to USB power requirements (DC 5V +/-0.25 and 1A max)".

This has been using with the Garmin Nuvi500 for several times and it work very fine, for the whole day ride.

I have my powerlet setting up in this thread:

It's much smaller than the regular cigaret lighter set up, and just need the USB cable. And further more, it is water proof, so I believe in that more than a regular cigaret lighter.

• Member Contributer

I'm looking at this usb port.

http://www.3brpowers...om/products.htm

It's more expensive but puts out 2.1 A.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Expensive, but nice setup if you need something out in the weather and only need USB. Like was said, you could install a Powerlet socket (powerlet.com or from wiremybike.com for best price) and then you have a waterproof socket and can get any type of cable adapter you need for different devices/uses. Personally I use devices mostly inside my tank bag, so the Powerlet socket to tank bag adapter gives me all I need, and the connections inside the bag don't need to be weather resistant.

Archived