New Arai Profile helmet

Jmmymc750

• Member Contributer

Hey, got this on closeout the other day. An Arai for $350 is a great deal.

Profile helmet

Profile inside

I really liked the fit immediately. I got a Large, and compared to my EXO700, It is wayyyyyy better. Had to buy the EXO700 in XL, because apparently my head shape is "long oval". The Scorpion fit OK, obviously loose on the sides, but was a nice helmet overall. The Arai is in a different category. These are the most comfortable helmets! If you have the long oval head shape, check these out. They have been replaced by the Signet -Q, which is supposed to be longer...but I don't know if I will ever have the cash to buy a new lid when its new. I am selling my Camry and going back to school, and will commute on my VFR. Florida here I come!!

• Member Contributer

Great looking helmet & price! I like the rally stripes and the subtle graphics. :fing02:

Like you I bought my Arais on close-out too. Couldn't afford the new price. But I wish Arai hadn't discontinued the Quantum and changed their helmet shapes though.I ended up going the other way to a Scorpion EXO700 with my last purchase.

• Member Contributer

Great looking helmet & price! I like the rally stripes and the subtle graphics. :fing02:

Like you I bought my Arais on close-out too. Couldn't afford the new price. But I wish Arai hadn't discontinued the Quantum and changed their helmet shapes though.I ended up going the other way to a Scorpion EXO700 with my last purchase.

They say the RX-Q is the Quantum replacement. I had a Signet-e that did not fit as comfortably as this Profile, And my first helmet was a Wes Cooley replica (saved my head quite well!), and another 2 Arais that were closeout, not exactly right (intermediate oval is tight on my head!), but still very nice. This one is the best so far, though. Graphics weren't my first choice, but ever since the Wes Cooley replica, I have had a thing for Arai helmets with blue graphics. I had a Jimmy Adamo replica with blue and silver and white. Nice helmet. One of the "cant remember" models.

I highly recommend the helmet. There is a place called motorcycles508.com that still has some other profile paint schemes for $379. I like the "Banda". In Blue. But they have red as well. And cheap. The extra $30 was the diff...hahahahaha! But sometimes that makes *all* the difference.

• Member Contributer

They say the RX-Q is the Quantum replacement.

It is but they changed the helmet shape. IIRC there was a gap between my forehead and helmet that the old Quantum didn't. And the other new models didn't fit quite right either. No matter, I've moved on and happy with the Scorpion.

• Member Contributer

Just to be clear, the RX-Q is the Quantum 2 replacement, not the Quantum. I believe the Quantum 2 and Quantum had slightly different shapes.

My first Arai was a Kevin Schwantz replica F1 model. This was his early clean design, not the later busy looking one. It was a great match for my 1986 Interceptor. Since then I've had one Quantum 2 and two Corsair RX-7's. I absolutely love the RX-7. It flows a ton more air than the Quantum 2. The folks that said you had to do 150 to get any airflow benefit were nuts...or maybe I was just going faster than I thought??? :wheel: . I'd love to test drive the new Corsair V and Quantum V, so anybody that wants to send them to me, I wear a large. :tour:

I wore Shoei for about 10 or 11 years. About 3 years ago switched to an Arai Vector when the Shoei just didn't seem like it fit very well any more (I think they changed their shape). I've been very happy with it and if I remember right, it is considered an intermediate oval.

• Member Contributer

I'm definitely an Arai fan. I had an opportunity to attend an event at my local dealer where the Arai distributor was in attendance. Got a fitting that really surprised me. One size smaller than what I normally wear = smaller that I needed to trim the breath deflector. Even having owned a Signet GT (long oval) previously, being properly fitted and going down a size was a revelation. The long oval shape is simply the most comfortable I have ever worn. Prior helmets where Bell and Shoei. (Love the Bell but they've changed the Star to being more intermediate oval)

Understand the Profile is now back to being called the Signet. :wink:

• Member Contributer

Just to be clear, the RX-Q is the Quantum 2 replacement, not the Quantum. I believe the Quantum 2 and Quantum had slightly different shapes.

Could be, I had the Quantum E & F models, not the 2. I just know that the current model lineup does not suit my noggin anymore, regardless of descripton. Goes to show that you should buy what fits and not a name.

• Member Contributer

I've always worn Shoei. How does the long oval shape compare the the Shoei shape?

I had space on the sides with my RF700. It was a nice helmet. Loved it, but did not fit me correctly. This "Profile" model is the best I have had to date, it is not as wide as it is long. Not too tight, snug fit. Great looking too. I would say more narrow than Shoei, depending on the model. A buddy's old X11 fit me pretty well.

I have read that the Shoei Qwest is a really nice helmet, but it was only a few more bucks for the Arai. Best deal, hands down.

• Member Contributer

Oh, and I took my 8" caliper, and measured my head side to side. It was narrower than front to back. Can't remember the dimensions, but...definitely significant.

Archived