Emergency fuel?

Guest bbenthin

Guest bbenthin

When going on longer tours, I'm curious as to how many of you pack a few ounces of emergency fuel?

If so, how much and what are you using to carry it?

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

I keep a siphon on board, but not fuel. I've only had to use it once to help out a buddy who didn't quite seem to understand that we start our rides at a gas station for a reason.

Mike

Unless you're really getting off the beaten path your bike will go about 200 miles (400 kilometres) on a tank of fuel. I've only run out of gas twice and several times been very, very close because of my own stupidity - take a break, get gas and stop when you're not sure if you'll make it to the next stop. Never pass a gas station and have that little voice say, "I think I can make it to the next town." :smile:

P.S. A membership for a local automotive agency is also a good idea (AMA) - emergency tow, fuel and battery charge.

...take a break, get gas and stop when you're not sure if you'll make it to the next stop. Never pass a gas station and have that little voice say, "I think I can make it to the next town." :smile:

That's usually the way I roll too. That said, we have a group of 6-8 going a trip this summer, different bikes...different ranges...I figure it could come in handy for someone even if it isn't me.

Love the MSR bottle idea (I should have thought of that, I'm an REI employee). :huh:

• Member Contributer

My desert south west tour last fall had me doubling back about 15 miles for fuel when I realized I wouldn't come close to making the next town. When I filled up, I also picked up a 2 gallon fuel can and it fit perfectly into my left side saddle bag. No worries after that but with several signs that said "Next service 110 miles" "-76 miles" etc, I didn't want to even have to think twice about it. Of course, I never used the fuel in the can...

...take a break, get gas and stop when you're not sure if you'll make it to the next stop. Never pass a gas station and have that little voice say, "I think I can make it to the next town." :smile:

That's usually the way I roll too. That said, we have a group of 6-8 going a trip this summer, different bikes...different ranges...I figure it could come in handy for someone even if it isn't me.

Love the MSR bottle idea (I should have thought of that, I'm an REI employee). :huh:

And that's where I got my bottles one for gas, and a small one for oil(not that it ever burns any oil).

• Member Contributer

This seems like where the siphon mentioned by Whiteboyslo would be a great idea.

• Member Contributer

Are these MSR bottles vented? I can just imagine all sorts of unpleasentness when riding in high temperature environments (like New Mexico) if it isn't. But other than that I like the idea. Peace of mind is priceless. :smile:

• Member Contributer

I carry a one-liter Sigg aluminum fuel bottle, just like the MSR, sealed in a zip-lock bag with one of these collapsible silicone funnels.

post-22790-0-72460900-1334080080.jpg

post-22790-0-30690600-1334080094.jpg

• Member Contributer

I hadn't thought of these ideas, but I haven't been on a ride where I didn't come across a gas station long before it's needed. This summer I want to take a few longer rides. One of them being a ride from Dibble, OK to Camp Masterson in TX for a family reunion. I'm thinking it will be about a 6 hour +/- ride. I'm really looking forward to being out on the road.

• Member Contributer

Are these MSR bottles vented? I can just imagine all sorts of unpleasentness when riding in high temperature environments (like New Mexico) if it isn't. But other than that I like the idea. Peace of mind is priceless. :smile:

They're not vented. I've been on many backpacking trips using MSR fuel bottles for my campstove and never had an issue with fuel smell in any of my gear or clothing. They are very high quality and should not present any leakage problems.

I hadn't thought of these ideas, but I haven't been on a ride where I didn't come across a gas station long before it's needed. This summer I want to take a few longer rides. One of them being a ride from Dibble, OK to Camp Masterson in TX for a family reunion. I'm thinking it will be about a 6 hour +/- ride. I'm really looking forward to being out on the road.

The only time I've seen it get iffy on where the next gas stop is,is when traveling through the western segments of the USA, and that's usually on less traveled roads, which is where I like to ride.

Archived