97 VFR gear box sloppy

Guest Scott59

Guest Scott59

Hi, my 1997 VFR gear box seems sloppy and clunky. First gear seems to make a weird whining noise when clutch is pulled. and every time I shift there is a more then usual clunk. Is this normal? I have a 98 VTR1000f and it is alot better and quiter.

The VFR has 49,000 on it.

not like slow shifts but I pull in the clutch then about a half a second to a second I shift. it doesnt matter tho how long I wait after the clutch has been pulled it still clunks.

not like slow shifts but I pull in the clutch then about a half a second to a second I shift. it doesnt matter tho how long I wait after the clutch has been pulled it still clunks.

I have the same problem on my 94. I've only riden a CB750 Cafe Racer (more recently) and a GXR about 10 years ago but I don't remember what the gear box on these should "feel" like.

Any help would be great. Thanks for starting the thread Scott59

You can't expect a 15 year old gearbox to shift like buttter. Compared to a lot of newer stuff our trannies are a little clunky. Thats just due to years of use slowly opening up clearances in there. Just make sure you make your up and down shifts nice and quickly, also put a little muscle behind it to make sure you get a solid positive shift. That will keep your gearbox in good working order and prevent excessive wear on the dogs.

Also, to the op, you might look at your clutch hydraulics just to make sure you're actually getting full disengagement of the clutch. Easy way to check is to put it in gear with the clutch in while its on the centerstand. IF your wheel starts turning anymore than just a real slow roll, your clutch may need a little work.

One more thing I'll add, is the geared cams in these bike are pretty whiny, are you sure you just aren't noticing cam whine from the engine once you pull the clutch and the motor goes quiet>

• Member Contributer

If your clutch fluid doesn't look nice and clean, it's time for a clutch bleed. Easy quick job.

As far as shifting. Try preloading the shifter. So put pressure on the shift lever, and then clutch in, maintaining the pressure on the lever. It should snick right into gear. Makes shifts much smoother and faster.

• Forum CEO

A change of oil should help with the clunky feeling, and the whiny noise I am betting is the usual gear whine from the gear driven cams. Hondas always seem to have a clunk when shifting from nuetral to 1st gear, its the spinning side of the clutch catching up with engine spinning. Oil weight contributes to that clunk, also lubricates between the metal clutch plates and grab plates, if the oil is old and broken down it will sling off/slide off during non use and the clutch gets dry and grabby or clunky.

You can't expect a 15 year old gearbox to shift like buttter. Compared to a lot of newer stuff our trannies are a little clunky. Thats just due to years of use slowly opening up clearances in there. Just make sure you make your up and down shifts nice and quickly, also put a little muscle behind it to make sure you get a solid positive shift. That will keep your gearbox in good working order and prevent excessive wear on the dogs.

Also, to the op, you might look at your clutch hydraulics just to make sure you're actually getting full disengagement of the clutch. Easy way to check is to put it in gear with the clutch in while its on the centerstand. IF your wheel starts turning anymore than just a real slow roll, your clutch may need a little work.

One more thing I'll add, is the geared cams in these bike are pretty whiny, are you sure you just aren't noticing cam whine from the engine once you pull the clutch and the motor goes quiet>

Yeah I didnt expect it to be very good. I dont know its past life so who knows. Also the whine I hear is the something tranny related because as soon as I shift from first it stops. The clutch seems to working fine.

If your clutch fluid doesn't look nice and clean, it's time for a clutch bleed. Easy quick job.

As far as shifting. Try preloading the shifter. So put pressure on the shift lever, and then clutch in, maintaining the pressure on the lever. It should snick right into gear. Makes shifts much smoother and faster.

I'll try that. Ive tried down shifting without the clutch before and it was smoother the with the clutch, which makes no sense to me.

A change of oil should help with the clunky feeling, and the whiny noise I am betting is the usual gear whine from the gear driven cams. Hondas always seem to have a clunk when shifting from nuetral to 1st gear, its the spinning side of the clutch catching up with engine spinning. Oil weight contributes to that clunk, also lubricates between the metal clutch plates and grab plates, if the oil is old and broken down it will sling off/slide off during non use and the clutch gets dry and grabby or clunky.

I've just recently put royal purple 10/40 in it. 1st is the worst but all the others are not far behind.

• Member Contributer

Clutchless downshifting = terrible idea. ALWAYS clutch in for downshifts

Yes. Very bad idea. What doesn't make sense about clutchless downshifts being rough?

Some possibilities:

Loose/worn/kinked chain

Worn cush drive hub rubbers

Notched clutch plate basket

Clutch hydraulics not disengaging fully

Clutch basket drive springs broken

Clutch lifter bearing worn

Those are the ones I can think of before we get into the majors like transmission gear damage, bent/worn shift forks, shift drum, shift detent arm, etc.

Start with the simple/cheap/obvious and work up the ladder from there. Let us know how you make out. Good luck.

Seb, he already changed the oil. Don't know about the hydraulic fluid.

So do these noises happen while up shifting or downshifting?

Is it noisy when stationary? Hard to get into 1st gear at a standstill?

Sorry got confused lol I wasnt down shifting I was upshifting. Got those mixed up. Also the hydraulic fluid isnt that dark. seems fairly fresh. The noise is only when I am in first, accelerate then pull in the clutch. Is not a rhythmic sound. It goes away as soon as I change gears. It is a whining sound though. different pitch then the geared cams though.

The chain is fine and clutch seems to be in good condition. It is starting to grab at the end of releasing the clutch though. There isnt any slipping or anything. When in neutral and I put it in first sometimes it grinds a little before slipping in.

Thanks guys!

That whining noise you hear, if we're thinking of the same one, is normal. It's the sound of the transmission gears meshing, and the sound changes due to the speed of the rear wheel and the oscillation of the chain as they influence the freewheeling speed of the transmission.

If you adjust your chain on the loose end you'll hear more variation than if your chain is tight, as it will oscillate more.

Ok that makes sense.

The tranny seems all around just harder to shift then any other bikes ive ridden. like when I release the clutch there is a second clunk after I shift the gear.

Archived