1st Attempt in 8 years....now the questions.

Guest fatso127

Guest fatso127

Okay so i attempted to start my bike after 8 years. well i cleaned carbs, got all the wiring straight and got power. it does make a clicking type sound from the clutch side for some reason(any cause for this?), so i attempted to pump bad gas out of fuel pump using toecutters step by step and the fuel pump came on once connected to battery...but no fuel came out of the hose.( waited and waited and nothing, so not what do i do)...Okay so i put hose in gas can and attempted to start. its sounds like its trying but it not turning over. like a car with no fuel....so where do i start my diagnoses....any suggestions.

Make sure your using the right terminology. Turning over = tick over = rotation of the crank by the starter. If you mean hat its turning over but not firing then make sure your gas can is above the level of the carbs. Also check for spark. If it is NOT turning over then see sebastians list.

1. Your battery is low or toast (or both)

2. Your starter relay is toast

3. All the above

bad battery even though i am getting power to everything?

Make sure your using the right terminology. Turning over = tick over = rotation of the crank by the starter. If you mean hat its turning over but not firing then make sure your gas can is above the level of the carbs. Also check for spark. If it is NOT turning over then see sebastians list.

Ill see if i can post a video of it. but i assume the problem is fuel related. let me see about putting fuel can above carbs.

1987 model...did those have a vacuum-operated or a manual fuel control/petcock? Either way have you confirmed that fuel will flow w/the petcock turned to the "on" or prime position, or if vacuum operated when vacuum is applied? Some petcocks have small wire mesh fuel filters inside which can become clogged with trash from the tank or fuel line, So I recommend making sure fuel is getting past that point. Have you checked for signs of rust in the gas tank?.

I wouldn't waste time and potentially damage the starter by continuing to spin the engine until I was sure (clean) gas was reaching the carburetors. If the petcock or fuel lines are clogged this may explain why no fuel is coming through when the fuel pump is activated. .

If you have some engine starter fluid try spraying a little in the throat of each carburetor or on the fuel filter/inside the air box to see if the engine will fire. If it does you'll at least know that the problem is probably related to a lack of fuel.

I'm also curious if you removed, disassembled/cleaned and re-installed the carbs yourself?

1987 model...did those have a vacuum-operated or a manual fuel control/petcock? Either way have you confirmed that fuel will flow w/the petcock turned to the "on" or prime position, or if vacuum operated when vacuum is applied? Some petcocks have small wire mesh fuel filters inside which can become clogged with trash from the tank or fuel line, So I recommend making sure fuel is getting past that point. Have you checked for signs of rust in the gas tank?.

I wouldn't waste time and potentially damage to the starter by continuing to spin the engine unless I was sure (clean) gas was reaching the carburetors. If the petcock or fuel lines are clogged this would explain why no fuel is coming through when the fuel pump is activated..

If you have some engine starter fluid try spraying a little in the throat of each carburetor or on the fuel filter/inside the air box to see if the engine will fire. If it does you'll at least know that the problem is probably related to a lack of fuel.

I'm also curious if you removed, disassembled/cleaned and re-installed the carbs yourself?

Yes i removed, disassembled, and reinstalled carbs myself. well i didnt separate them from one another. i kep them together and just made sure they were free of any gunk that could prohibit gas from going into them. in this case i have a bad petcock on my gas tank so waiting on that to arrive. i am just putting a hose into a can of fuel above the carbs..sprayed starter in filter..no good...ill try some more. per directions it was only a few seconds.

• Member Contributer

i don't see a fuel pump in the first vid. What's pulling the gas from the tank into the carbs?

Also, the battery is very weak.

yeah just got back from the autoshop and battery is weak...uurrgghh...i had to move the fuel pump due to a modification to the bike. but its there. but gonna charge battery for a bit and go back at it...now when pumping out that bad gas(gas thats been sitting in it) from the fuel pump i a lot supposed to come out. cause i am getting NOTHING....

• Member Contributer

Like Jeremy says, your battery is really weak and you need to check for spark.

Once you have a strong battery, pull a plug out and check if it is wet/dry/fouled. Clean/replace it if required and put it back in the boot with the threads resting on metal and check for spark while cranking. If you get spark, dump a few cc's of fresh fuel in the plug hole, put the plug back in and see if it fires on at least that cylinder. If it does, you're down to why fuel isn't getting through the carbs and can eliminate ignition trouble.

• Member Contributer

If you get spark, dump a few cc's of fresh fuel in the plug hole, put the plug back in and see if it fires on at least that cylinder. If it does, you're down to why fuel isn't getting through the carbs and can eliminate ignition trouble.

Is it safe to dump liquid into the combustion chamber? won't that try to compress and hydrolock?

• Member Contributer

If you get spark, dump a few cc's of fresh fuel in the plug hole, put the plug back in and see if it fires on at least that cylinder. If it does, you're down to why fuel isn't getting through the carbs and can eliminate ignition trouble.

Is it safe to dump liquid into the combustion chamber? won't that try to compress and hydrolock?

Been doing this for about 35 years. You don't need to put in much. I was usually doing it from the vent hole of a gas can using yellow name in the snow type skills to put the gas into the plug hole of a chainsaw/waterpump/generator/lawnmower tipped up on it's side, so it's pretty hard to say how much went in and how much was sprayed around the motor. Safe to say that you want to keep the volume down to about a thimble full for lack of any scientific knowledge about the actual amount.

For the sake of it, you can just dump a little gas directly into the open carbs.

• Member Contributer

Is it the same battery that sat for 8 years completely discharged? I'd just toss it and get a new one. This ine is toast and won't start the bike even if all else is 100%.

You'll waste lots of time if you keep trying to use the one you have.

Is it the same battery that sat for 8 years completely discharged? I'd just toss it and get a new one. This ine is toast and won't start the bike even if all else is 100%.

You'll waste lots of time if you keep trying to use the one you have.

naw new battery...im gonna go with the theory fuel + spark + battery = engine starting. so imma check each component. so far battery is charging now...then on to sparks...i did check out filter, i was pretty clogged but when i ran fuel thru it, it did come out the other end, so imma order a fresh one just because...fuel pump should be cool. well i hope.

Okay i gotta new update...i let the battery charge and tried it again...i held a funnel up and poured gas into it. and it made it to the carbs and now the carbs are leaking...which i assume is right. cause per the step by step the whatcha-ma-callits have to swell up. so going to grab a 6 pack and try it again later. no i did check 2 of the spark plugs and i did see something that remsembles burn marks. so i assume its sparking.

newest update: am i on the right path here. i just charged fuel system by jumping it from the battery, but again no fuel came out. and when i tried it again about 30 minutes after first attempt the fuel just ran from the fuel filter to fuel pump and into carbs and on the ground, checked spark plugs and same burn marks and they were dry...

If fuel is leaking from the carbs something isn't right. Could be the float levels aren't set properly, leaking or improperly assembled float/needle valve(s),, gaskets, etc. Did you install a rebuild kit w/new gaskets, etc. before re-assembling the carbs? If they're leaking fuel you need to be very careful to avoid causing any sparks while messing around with the battery, spark plugs or other electrical components since doing so could cause a fire hazard.

When you disassembled & cleaned the carbs did you make sure all internal passages were clear by blowing compressed air though each one and making sure air was getting through and exiting from the other side? Eight years of sitting could result in some awfully hard-to-remove varnish deposits in the carbs internal passages.

No offense, but based on some of your comments I wonder if you could be in over your head.

I wish you luck.

Okay i gotta new update...i let the battery charge and tried it again...i held a funnel up and poured gas into it. and it made it to the carbs and now the carbs are leaking...which i assume is right. cause per the step by step the whatcha-ma-callits have to swell up. so going to grab a 6 pack and try it again later. no i did check 2 of the spark plugs and i did see something that remsembles burn marks. so i assume its sparking.

Just to clarify - you're going to do some important planning here and prep - you mention getting a 6 pack - you do have a cooler with an ice/salt water mix for bringing the temps down to proper consuming temps right? And the actual 6 pack - it is a high quality barley/malt based alcohol refreshment to be enjoyed - and do not use that funnel to do "shotguns" - ok? Save that for the post "first ride" celebration.

Make sure the "whatchamacallitts" don't mix in with the cooled refreshments, they will hog the brew. We've seen it happen before - it isn't pretty. You don't want that.

As an extra suggestion - order in some high end wings and blue cheese. They go well with ice cold brew. The wing sauce also helps with added grip on the seat - which might need some care after 8 years without use.

Lastly, if you still can't get it to run, or keep fuel inside the carbs, etc... make sure the bike (and yourself) are insured and just light up a nice cigar. But before you do - put on that flame retardant suit you had tucked away for a special occasion - the bike may go up in flames, but you don't have to.

Remember - Safety first folks!!

(In case the emoticons below don't clearly show it - this is in jest - I'm just bustin your chops a bit - I do hope you get things sorted out. ) Ok - I'm not joking about the high quality brew and NO shotgunning it..........

:491::laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer

Carbs need a complete rebuild. Also, I'm not sure what burn marks on a spark plug mean... But the only way to tell if they're working is the see them spark.

If fuel is leaking from the carbs something isn't right. Could be the float levels aren't set properly, leaking or improperly assembled float/needle valve(s),, gaskets, etc. Did you install a rebuild kit w/new gaskets, etc. before re-assembling the carbs? If they're leaking fuel you need to be very careful to avoid causing any sparks while messing around with the battery, spark plugs or other electrical components since doing so could cause a fire hazard.

When you disassembled & cleaned the carbs did you make sure all internal passages were clear by blowing compressed air though each one and making sure air was getting through and exiting from the other side? Eight years of sitting could result in some awfully hard-to-remove varnish deposits in the carbs internal passages.

No offense, but based on some of your comments I wonder if you could be in over your head.

I wish you luck.

no offense taken.

Archived