1st Attempt in 8 years....now the questions.

Guest fatso127

Okay i gotta new update...i let the battery charge and tried it again...i held a funnel up and poured gas into it. and it made it to the carbs and now the carbs are leaking...which i assume is right. cause per the step by step the whatcha-ma-callits have to swell up. so going to grab a 6 pack and try it again later. no i did check 2 of the spark plugs and i did see something that remsembles burn marks. so i assume its sparking.

Just to clarify - you're going to do some important planning here and prep - you mention getting a 6 pack - you do have a cooler with an ice/salt water mix for bringing the temps down to proper consuming temps right? And the actual 6 pack - it is a high quality barley/malt based alcohol refreshment to be enjoyed - and do not use that funnel to do "shotguns" - ok? Save that for the post "first ride" celebration.

Make sure the "whatchamacallitts" don't mix in with the cooled refreshments, they will hog the brew. We've seen it happen before - it isn't pretty. You don't want that.

As an extra suggestion - order in some high end wings and blue cheese. They go well with ice cold brew. The wing sauce also helps with added grip on the seat - which might need some care after 8 years without use.

Lastly, if you still can't get it to run, or keep fuel inside the carbs, etc... make sure the bike (and yourself) are insured and just light up a nice cigar. But before you do - put on that flame retardant suit you had tucked away for a special occasion - the bike may go up in flames, but you don't have to.

Remember - Safety first folks!!

(In case the emoticons below don't clearly show it - this is in jest - I'm just bustin your chops a bit - I do hope you get things sorted out. ) Ok - I'm not joking about the high quality brew and NO shotgunning it..........

:491::laughing6-hehe:

LOLOLOLOLOL...yeah good point no shotgunning.

Carbs need a complete rebuild. Also, I'm not sure what burn marks on a spark plug mean... But the only way to tell if they're working is the see them spark.

Yeah thats what i was thinking also.

battery cranks too slow -> won't start -> wet plugs -> bore wash ->more trouble

use your car battery instead

petcock not letting anything through -> blow some compressed air in the outlet, that will unstuck the membrane inside

carbs leaking -> clean your float valves and adjust levels IF you've put carbs together correctly after the cleaning you said you've done

wet plugs? wirebrush -> set the gap (0.7mm I think) -> burn with a methane torch

no compression after slow cranking? put some oil into combustion chambers -> crank by hand a couple of turns then crank properly with the starter motor with plugs still out -> wipe out what comes out -> reinstall plugs

weak spark? shorten your ignition wires each end until the lead inside turns silver

clean all electrical connections with contact cleaner

• Member Contributer

Great advise there!

I am concerned about the methane torch tough... Never heard of it being used, although I did see some try on utube. :laugh:

battery cranks too slow -> won't start -> wet plugs -> bore wash ->more trouble

use your car battery instead

petcock not letting anything through -> blow some compressed air in the outlet, that will unstuck the membrane inside

carbs leaking -> clean your float valves and adjust levels IF you've put carbs together correctly after the cleaning you said you've done

wet plugs? wirebrush -> set the gap (0.7mm I think) -> burn with a methane torch

no compression after slow cranking? put some oil into combustion chambers -> crank by hand a couple of turns then crank properly with the starter motor with plugs still out -> wipe out what comes out -> reinstall plugs

weak spark? shorten your ignition wires each end until the lead inside turns silver

clean all electrical connections with contact cleaner

Archived