Is it safe to spray WD-40 into a key hole?

2FAST4U

• Member Contributer

I've actually got two key holes where the key doesn't turn as easily as it used to. One is the ignition and the other is the fuel tank.

Is it safe to spray WD-40 into the ignition key hole? The reason I'm more concerned about this one is because of the electronics.

Thanks.

• Member Contributer

Until you mentioned it just now, I had never even heard of it. I did a search for it online and saw it's basically lock lubricant. I'll get some at Lowes.

It comes in a little tube. What's the best way to use it? Should I squeeze some directly into the hole(s) or onto the key and then put the key in? How much should I use?

Thanks for your help.

Graphite is not the best things for locks, when it gets wet it goes pasty, there is nowhere for it to go too, so after a few squirts of graphite it clumps up in the bottom of the lock and can accually stop the key from going into the lock, also most the time when locks stop working it's because they are getting gummed up from years of gunk building up in the lock and the grease that is inside them from the factory. I have always used WD-40 as this washes come of the gunk out. If the lock is playing up really bad ideally you want to take the lock off the bike and flush it out giving it a good clean.

I have been a locksmith for over 10 years now and graphite does more bad than good, especially when it comes to cars and bikes.

The only thing about using graphite on a key hole that is pointing up, is that the graphite will at some point in time stack up in the bottom of the keyhole where it can lead to the key not being able to go in all the way. Use just a little, or use 3-n-1 oil.

You can use WD-40 to get in to the crudy areas and loosen things up. There are a couple of things I like to keep on hand.

Canned air(if no air compresser)from a computer store.

A can of electric cleaner(which you can spray on the electrics of the ignition after you get all the oil stuff done) doesn't hurt plastics.

Not that what everone else said isn't good, this is just how I do it.

BPJ, I was typing(slow) while you got your post in so I didn't read it till after I entered my post(that happens a lot).

Ppl go..... Didn't I just say that ????????

Step one, blow all the crap outta the lock cylinder with some compressed air while moving the key in and out to jiggle around the tumblers and hopefully coax more crap to loosen up and come out. Step two, fill cylinder with "Cable Life" lubricant. Made for lubricating throttle and choke cables, but works GREAT on lock cylinders. Then cycle the key in and out a few times, locking and unlocking the cap. Wipe off key with a rag whenever you take it out as it will have excess lube and some leftover crud from the lock cylinder on it. This has worked great for me for many years, and, if done properly ahead of time, keeps your lock cylinders from freezing (literally) on cold mornings due to moisture in the air/rain from two days ago. I tried and tried to use multiple forms of graphite to lube the locks and they all suck out loud and don't work very long.

Also, like Monk said, this is just what I do, good luck sir.

BPJ, I was typing(slow) while you got your post in so I didn't read it till after I entered my post(that happens a lot).

Ppl go..... Didn't I just say that ????????

All good.

What I did forget to say is that it could also be your key, if it is fairly worn it will be worth getting another one cut and not a copy of your worn key, get one cut to code, this will be cut to the same spec's as when the key was new.

I've actually got two key holes where the key doesn't turn as easily as it used to. One is the ignition and the other is the fuel tank.

Is it safe to spray WD-40 into the ignition key hole? The reason I'm more concerned about this one is because of the electronics.

Thanks.

Thats what I use, but just a tiny squirt , I only do it maybe once or twice per year as a preventative, there's no drain hole so it has to evaporate out.

Ive never had any issue, and my bike is 6 years old.

AS spud mentioned, it's good preventitave maintenance to send a squirt of WD-40* into each lock cylinder once or twice a year, and i do that on all my bikes.

* NOT a paid endorser.

Archived