Possible locked engine

Guest Civilizeddog

Guest Civilizeddog

I just attempted to start up the ol' 93 and shes being a bit grumpy.

I adjusted the valve clearances this winter and had the bike dry of oil and coolant for about two months. Put her back together, I know I got the timing right and the clearances are right on, changed the oil filter and added 3 quarts or fresh Honda spec oil and coolant.

Got her out here now and she tries to turn over, I hear the faint sound of what i think is slow combustion from the muffler but not sure.

It rolls fine in neutral, and I wanted to try to get it in 6th gear to see if it would still roll, then I could rule out engine lock up but I can only get her into first gear.

When I just tried to start the motor a moment ago I put the bike into first gear and clutched and the bike lurched forward a bit several times. Does that mean the engine is turning even if only slowly? Or is that just something the tranny does without the engine?

Just trying to figure out if there is a lock up in the engine cause I want to try to bump start it again but I'm afraid I'll damage something further if it really is locked up.

• Member Contributer

I don't think the tranny can turn without the engine unless the clutch is in.

Is your battery good? Is the starter spinning at full revs?

Yeah, 2nd and skidded to a stop after rolling at about 10mph. Damn thing sounds and kinda feels like its turning over very slowly but if it was, wouldn't it at least roll the rear wheel when I let off the clutch and tried to bump it?

• Member Contributer

It should. I guess to determine if it's locked you need to pull the spark plugs and then attempt to turn the engine manually through the timing hole

Battery is good, amps drain as the starter struggles. Starter is not spinning full rpm, it whines as it tries to turn the starter gears. I guess I'll drain the coolant again to pull the front plugs and try to turn by hand. This is driving me nuts, I wish it was driving me down the road instead.

• Member Contributer

Gonna stick me head out on a limb again and suggest you look at your rectifier....(second time ive said that 2day)

After years and years of electrical ignition problems.... similar probs to yours here....Have sworn after finally working out all probs that anything electrical or ignition wise.. everything else all being well its the dam R/R unit!!.....

check you havent melted too much of the loom... have a peek n let us know how the wires and connector blocks are -running your r/r...

Before you start stripping anything.. peek under the seat right hand panel....anything melting?

R/R appears to be solid, wires strong and showing no signs of wear/burn. The reg/rec wouldn't keep the motor from tuning over during a bump attempt. I have a feeling SOMETHING is keeping the starter from turning, something mechanical, and that's why it's draining my battery of amps during a crank attempt and thats also why my wheels refuse to budge on a bump.

• Member Contributer

Normally, if a bike has been sitting for a good while, I'll pull the plugs and spray/drop a bit of oil into each cylinder, let it sit for a few minutes, and then crank the engine a few times.

You said that, when you put it in first, pulled the clutch in, and tried to start it, the bike lurched/moved forward. That sounds like the clutch was still engaged.

Pull all the plugs. Put the bike on its center stand. Put it in neutral. Make sure rear tire is off the ground. Hit the starter. Make sure the rear wheel doesn't spin. If it doesn't, repeat with it in first gear and the clutched pulled in. If it spins, you have an issue with the clutch/tranny.

Did you check that you have fuel? Did you check that you have spark at every cylinder? Are your plugs properly gapped?

• Member Contributer

Was a touch unclear of the mechanical severity in your first post. Sounded like you had 'something' going on?

So you have ignition?.. its just when you engage the gearbox it all goes 2 pot?

Very soon with the help of a number of fellows to chip in- will help find your issue....

There are only a number of things that can go wrong.. elimination process....

Keep at it.. let us know....

Just pulled the plugs, tried to hand crank, VERY tight. It was FINE when I buttoned her up not too long ago. Just sprayed a bit of aero-kroil in each spark plug hole, gonna see if that will hopefully free them up a bit. Anyone have any tips, tricks, to free up the bastard?

I've found that Marvel Mystery oil works well in freeing up stuck rings. I've also successfully used ATF. After it soaks for a while with whatever oil you end up using, put it on the center stand with it in gear/plugs out and spin the back tire back and forth, it should have just enough slack in it to spin back and forth an inch or so. And don't be afraid to put some muscle behind it this is actually the gentle way of working the rings free. After that, make sure you have a battery thats charged to full capacity when you try to start it.

Killer news... Got her to turn over like she should. I removed the crankshaft cover to take a look at the starter gear and guess what I found?

The little dowel that keeps the starter gear lined up had come loose and the washer that spaces it had dropped to the bottom of the inside of the cover.

The starter gear was misaligned.

I put it back in place and started the bike, motor turns over great now.

I want to thank everyone who took the time to respond to my post. Even though the actual issue was far from what everybody contemplated, I really appreciate all the helping hands, thanks!

• Member Contributer

And everyone reading this post learned a little sumpn'. Just one more item for the mental tool box. We shoud thank You! ;-)

• Member Contributer

Thats great news... sort of...glad you have an answer...

Always handy to have more suggestions when things slow up...

'Combustion from an exhaust sound' does not quite lead to starter trouble... but you have to ask these questions to keep the spirit going!

Archived