Help a guy change a tire (or two)...

booker82

Hey folks,

I've had a pretty good deal running with my local shop for a few years now. I take off the rims, they put on the tires. And, until this week, their prices haven't been all that bad.

But now, for whatever reason, their prices have gone through the roof. They quoted me $248 for a rear PR2 yesterday, and $188 for a front. With my AMA discount, I can get both from Bikebandit for $237, shipped. As much as I dig my shop and want to support a local business, I just can't get behind those prices. And, for "liability" reasons, they won't install tires that a customer brings in.

So, I figure I'm doing half the labor already anyway (removing the rims). I might as well start doing all of it. But, I don't own so much as a tire iron, I'm ashamed to admit. So what does a guy need to do this right? I figure I can get a whole kit together, plus the tires, for the cost of what the dealership wants for a set.

School me, oh wise VFRD dudes!

p.s. I'm no noob to the garage, I've just been spoiled a lazy up to this point. So, while I'm confident in my skills, I'm just not sure where to begin.

• Member Contributer

I started changing my own tires a few years ago, what I use is a couple of these clamps, http://www.google.co...CMAU#ps-sellers to break the bead, a few 8" tire irons and a plastic coffee can cut into strips as a rim protector, lemon pledge as a lubricant and a lot of :beer: there are a few useful videos on youtube, search changing motorcycle tires, after watching someone who has done it before, it made me realize it is not very difficult if you use finesse instead of ignorance & force :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

... it made me realize it is not very difficult if you use finesse instead of ignorance & force :biggrin:

Yes but Gary, your own equation states that you won't get results that way. Isn't is something like ignorance & force = results? :tongue:

• Member Contributer

It is not too bad a job, you need a couple of good tools, I have a good large bead breaker (HF) and a balancer, plus a nice barrel (not sure the size, something like a 20-30 gal barrel) to get the wheel in the air so you can work on it, that and a couple of big tire irons and some rim protectors and you should be set. Takes a while to learn the tricks to make life easier, first is to leave the new tire out in the sun to warm up.

The best part is you can put the wheel on the balancer without the tire to find the true heaviest point to line up with the paint mark on the tire. This cuts down on the wheel weights.

• Forum CEO

Harbor Freight stopped carrying the motorcycle attachment to their popular tire changing station, but I have seen a few available on ebay. Other options are hundreds more but probably better options - I am satisfied with my old HF gear, it has more then paid for itself.

I used tire irons, rim protectors and a home made bead breaker (2X4 attached to the wall) for 5 years. I finally got tired of doing it that way keeping tires on a track bike and 2 street bikes, so bought the set-up below. Now I do probably 100 tires a year for the locals at $20 each if they remove them from the bike and $35 each if they bring the whole bike.

gallery_1859_4603_330139.jpg

• Member Contributer

Two tire irons, a bead breaker, a static blancer and some tick-on weights is all you need for this job.

I bought these:

Tire irons

Balancer

And some stick-on weights.

Bead Breaker: I use my car - Look it up on YouTube. Eccentially, I place the wheel on a moving blanket, wedge one side of it against the wall and drive the front driver side wheel of my car around the rim. The only downside to this is you have to remove front brake disks.

Archived