Then and Now Images

Guest sfarson

• Member Contributer

Hartelijk bedankt voor het stukje Nederland :fing02:

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahhh yes, NEDERLAND!

Well, here is another take on the presentation...

The Fairplay Hotel...

fairplaymerge.jpg

Neighbors gathering around a new vehicle in front of a Jefferson home...

jeffersonmerge.jpg

The old wagon road passing through Shawnee is now U.S. 285 passing through Shawnee...

shawneemerge.jpg

The ghost town of Rosita...

rositamerge.jpg

Downtown Central City...

tellermerge.jpg

• Member Contributer

Well, here is another take on the presentation...

Dude, those latest pics are Totally a calendar.

Somebody in the CO tourist industry has to want them.

Glenn

• Member Contributer

Excellent job Steve. I have pulled off the road many times in Colorado and wondered what it looked like in the past - now I know about some of my favorite places.

Riding the old train between Silver Plume and Georgetown with my then small boys was a great adventure. They thought the high curved bridge was scary but cool.

Thanks and hope you can stop and see us at SumSumx2.

ZiaVFR (Paul)

Paul, The other day while capturing the Silver Plume/Georgetown pics, I passed by the Georgetown Loop Train and could see it belching cinders through the trees but I couldn't see the train while I flew down I-70! It is great to have memories with the boys. Have three of my own. As it is said, "Boys are joys" :smile:

Was at the '09 Summit. Hope to come by by for at least a day in Montrose, but have some things to juggle.

Steve

• Member Contributer

Wow, great pictures as always, really enjoy seeing the then and now. But where do you get the "then" pics? I ride through old towns here in the Sierra Nevada and even old town Sacramento, end point for the pony express, and would love to do a California gold country then and now. Any tips?

Wow, great pictures as always, really enjoy seeing the then and now. But where do you get the "then" pics? I ride through old towns here in the Sierra Nevada and even old town Sacramento, end point for the pony express, and would love to do a California gold country then and now. Any tips?

Yes, a good way to start is to think of a location you want to then/now explore, then go to Google, Bing, etc. and enter something like "Sacramento Historical Photos". When I do this in CO I typically find images at a library online, county historical societies, state of Colorado publications, etc. Then I print out a couple of the pics and go explorin! It isn't that I do this all the time. Just occasionally I do so to add a little extra pizzazz, destination, hunt, etc. to the common ride.

Some more dinkin' around...

The semi-ghost town of Eldora with a 4th of July celebration over 100 years ago...

eldoramerge.jpg

The semi-ghost of Montezuma with the no longer standing hotel...

montezumamerge.jpg

Before a dirt road replaced the narrow gauge tracks, a pause at Peterhead Rock early last century, then and now...

peterheadmerge.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

A few more...

If ever making the U.S. 40 transit over Berthoud Pass from the south, you will pass through the small town of Empire. Like most communities in this long Clear Creek drainage that nearby I-70 courses through, Empire can trace its roots to ores found under the slopes of nearby hills. More on Empire's history here.

One of the earlier mountain "then" images I've come across. Empire as a mining camp in 1880...

empireathen.jpg

Now, one would think it would be a cinch finding the above location and direction, but daaang, I passed through, turned around, retraced, with old image in hand, several separate times while riding through Empire to no avail. Well, I was making the assumption the above wagon trail through Empire is today's U.S. 40. One day, I looked south down one of the few side streets...

empireanow.jpg

From exploring the historic townsite of Nighthawk on the banks of the Middle Fork of the South Platte...

About a 100 years ago with a lack of productive nearby mining contributing to the lack of a vibrant town...

nighthawk2then.jpg

Today...

nighthawk2now.jpg

Merged...

nighthawk2merge.jpg

Despite the Handyman's Special on the left, Nighthawk didn't convince many to settle there 100 years ago...

nighthawk1then.jpg

Would say the place is still kinda "allure challenged" today...

nighthawk1now.jpg

Merged...

nighthawk1merge.jpg

I feel as though you opened my mind to what a great trip is all about. I feel inspired to do the homework now to at least see this kind of thing around where I live. There has to be so much out there. So much to appreciate, and I imagine when you find these spots your excitement is very rewarding. I have used my bike to go geocacheing. Not a bad way to go, but this is a bird of another feather.

Thanks my friend,

Ethan

• 1 month later...

Archived