OFF TOPIC CONTENT - communication devices while driving - Closed

Monk

Maybe... But studies have already proven that Cell phone drivers are more dangerous than drunk drivers.

I have worked in Brooklyn, NY, I will note that the traffic is bad enough in your neighborhood and you have cell phone laws which are not obeyed.

In NY no one knows how to get up to the speed limit, much less drive the speed limit. So no worries for you getting in a moving accident.

My main city where I travel is Atlanta. Everyone travels through ATL at no less than 80MPH with a cell phone on one shoulder, appling make-up with one hand and a cigarette in the other while reading a Kindle on the steering wheel with their knee.

Removing the cell phone could help a little.

• Member Contributer

Get real Rice! When was the last time that you had to avoid a driver looking at birds compared to someone texting?

This law, and the ones locally in place have nothing to do with generating money or protect people from themselves. This is about protecting innocent people from careless and distracted drivers. it's not created with the intention of ticketing every person breaking the law, it's meant to forcefully raise awareness in a group of people who still don't get it.

I understand the intent.

However I do take exception to this method of raising awareness. This is really what is at issue here.

Making it a law is the only way to change the behavior.

Sure it does. Speeding is against the law but many do it so making it a law does not do much.

• Member Contributer

If this law is passed it will just make more law breakers out of common citizens. Unfortunately we have trained our society into electronic motivation that many can't seem to live without.

I sometimes ask myself, "how did we ever get this far without cell phones and complete inter-communication like we have today" and I can't come up with a good answer except. "just fine for the most part".

Radios in cars have become "socially accepted" and there is very little question about them even though you can often see someone rockin' and boppin' to the beat as they tool down the road at 65. That seems to be like a one way cell phone to me.

The nanny state is here and it ain't going away because personal responsibility isn't factored in nearly as much as it used to be. That is what keeps the lawyers in business.

In the Netherlands the fine for having cellphone in your hand while driving is €220 (US$295). That's more than an average carkit, but still you'll see many people driving while talking on their cellphone. I don't see how banning all communications changes the behaviour of those that ignore the current laws. It mostly affects those that untill now have been obeying the law and acted responsibly by investing in e.g. a carkit.

• Member Contributer

The law would be like a restraining order, what good is a document (a law on the books) going to do? A RO has never prevented any attacker from reaching their victim, and a "no communication device" law certainly won't prevent someone from texting and driving. It certainly hasn't stopped people from talking on the phone without a hands-free device here in California, I see it all the time. As someone mentioned earlier, the genie is out of the bottle, good luck stuffing him back in.

There are a few things inherit in people, they enjoy their freedoms and do not like to give them up, and they do not like being told what to do. Most offenders don't think that they won't get caught or that they are willing to risk getting caught for what little consequence they'll have to pay. Personally I think that if the fines and/or penalties are steeper, you will probably find less repeat offenders. There are always those who think they are above the law or that they feel entitled to do what they want, look at Alec Baldwin last week.

I really don't know how to put an end to this, so until then I will be on my guard as ever before and hope I do not end up on the wrong side of an offender!

Cheers!

• Member Contributer

ok tech heads explain how easy it would be for the providers to disarm these devices above 10 mph. Money is why they will not do it and they will not even think about it until the daughter or son of a ceo gets killed by a distracted driver playing angry birds in town.

No I am not a Luddite. Look it up.

• Member Contributer

ok tech heads explain how easy it would be for the providers to disarm these devices above 10 mph. Money is why they will not do it and they will not even think about it until the daughter or son of a ceo gets killed by a distracted driver playing angry birds in town.

No I am not a Luddite. Look it up.

Most and probably all cell phones have some form of GPS (satellite or cell tower-based or both) built in by now.

My car GPS for instance won't allow me to do certain things while moving faster than 5 or 10 MPH (not sure which).

This technology has been around.

Luddites may have been right. In retrospect. :ph34r:

• Member Contributer

Mr. Rice, nothing personal and I love Brooklyn. One Texas sister used to live off the Carnise stop.

• Member Contributer

Yep...this is an easy fix with even without the GPS enabled. A tiny accelerometer to detect when the phone is in motion and it deactivates the ability to receive/send (except 911 of course). Problem solved. The technology is the way to go on this for sure since it all ready exists and is cheap and easy.

No need for police enforcement as many places all ready have cell phone bans (Albuquerque included) that aren't enforced. So passing another law that will only be enforced on occasion will be useless regardless of its intent. :wink:

Archived