widder Lectric Vest Review

timmythecop

I dont know how many of you all have heated gear, but I have never owned any. I had alot of questions before, so maby this will help the few who are on the fence.

Well, I was trying to sell my bike but the family minivan had a bad ignition switch. I relaced it, but put the computer into "Theft Mode", so off to the shop it went. (2 weeks and 900 bucks!!!!) So with absolutely no other way to get to work, I put the Yellow Peril back into service. It has gotten cold here in the DC area, with the overnight temps right around freezing. I decided to finally warm up.

The problem with all the choices are of course price, but also what kind of controller, the hook-up, sleeves vs no sleeves, collar vs no collar and on and on. I followed a couple on ebay, but they usually crept over a 100 bones and then there would be also the purchase of a controller.

I finally got to be the highest bidder on a Widder Lectric vest with collar with a 7 position controller included for 72 bucks. I then examined the photo and determinded that I would need a battery to SAE connector and ebay was selling a Powerlet cord for 15 bucks. They both arrived in a few days and it was a snap to install.

The type of warmth is hard to describe. It isnt like you have central heating inside yer suit, but it is way better than wearing 5 sweaters. One night on the way home from work it was 34 degrees and I had on a T-shirt, the vest and my Teknic Freeway jacket and I was toasty. The vest really has to be close to your body to be the most effective so dont buy too big. I bought an XL and it is just a tiny bit too big to be perfect, but a large would have been too small I think. The controller has a strip of velcro on the bottom and I stick that to the side adjuster on my jacket and it stays put. With only a Tshirt on underneath, you really cant turn it all the way up until below freezing and with a layer or two, I think I am good to zero degrees. My voltage readings with the vest on high and the heated grips on high are : 12.3 at idle and 14.3 at speed.

I cannot believe I waited this long, my commutes have just become way more comfy. My only gripe is the controller being attached to my jacket but with a couple of extender wires, I plan on mounting the box under my fairing right next to the heated grips switch, so I can just turn the knob with my left hand.

I just found out that Widder is out of business, but this item looks brand new and works well, and should last a long time. If you aleways wanted some electric gear, do youself a favour and buy it.

IMG_1657.jpg

IMG_2988.jpg

Good show on the vest. I have the same setup, but my controller is linear, much like a 'volume knob'. Because there are no detents on the rotary dial, it tends to move around as I do on the bike. 10 detented positions would be more convenient.

I agree on the 'smaller is better', as mine too is a bit big (on the bright side it has 'room to grow'). Besides keeping the heat closer to your body, a snug fit results in a better collar fit preventing wind from getting in.

I don't use it on cold weather touring (2-3 day stuff) as much as I thought, because I'm always worried that if it craps out I'll freeze in a minute or two, so I end up lugging around a bunch of layers anyway. It is great for commutes though.

Ditto on the loading of the electrical system, nary a problem.

Brian

I agree, you can't go wrong with heated gear! If I would have known, I would have sold you my Gerbings vest cheap. Anyone else interested in it? Works well, but my arms still get cold. So I just purchased a Gerbings full sleeve liner and new gloves. Rode home last night at 36 degrees whithout a chill at all.

Vests are good and convient down to about the high 30's, after that you'll wish you have the full electric jacket, but in milder temps the jacket can be too much. The Body core, is the most important to keep warm , cause it effects all other areas.

There are 35 watt jackets and 90 watt, the 90 watt offer alot more ajustability, I have the senergy vest, came with controller, its been the best riding friend I ever had. Its been in use for several seasons, Problem free.

DDO: I should have mentioned that the knob is just like yours. No detents except "off". also I don't have a problem with with cold arms because my jacket has an awesome liner. (there are snaps on the shoulders of the vest for future sleeve attachment though). Don't know the wattage of this fella, I'll have to check.

• Member Contributer

Timmy, if you don't like the hard-wired controller, there's a wireless controller on the market. Kinda pricey, but I may get it anyway for my Synergy jacket, chaps, gloves, and socks.

• Member Contributer

DDO: I should have mentioned that the knob is just like yours. No detents except "off". also I don't have a problem with with cold arms because my jacket has an awesome liner. (there are snaps on the shoulders of the vest for future sleeve attachment though). Don't know the wattage of this fella, I'll have to check.

I was going to ask if you thought sleeves would help, but there ya go.

I didn't know Widder was no longer producing. When I bought my vest, Pat Widder was a VFR rider. I'd answered some VFR questions he had on some mailing list, so he said to ask for him when I got around to phoning in and ordering. Got a nice deal on a vest with the "arm chaps." I really questioned using the arm chaps vs. a full jacket, but other than finding them a little harder to put on the first few times, I've since appreciated the minimal bulk in the sleeve area while still getting sufficient heat.

Archived