Heal-Tech is making a diagnostic computer for PGM-FI!

kaldek

• Member Contributer

I can't believe it. I just E-Mailed HealTech electronics to ask them if they know the format of the Honda Data Link Connector (DLC) protocol, and they said they are releasing an OBD tool for Honda PGM-FI systems in a few months!

This is amazing! When it's released, anyone with a 2006 and newer Honda VFR will be able to dig deeper into the ECU to see what's going on - in real time.

FINALLY!

• Member Contributer

I got a response from Heal-Tech today saying they will likely sell me an early production unit, and that they should be able to dig a lot of real-time info out of the ECU - more than they can get out of the Suzuki ECU.

:fing02:

I can't believe it. I just E-Mailed HealTech electronics to ask them if they know the format of the Honda Data Link Connector (DLC) protocol, and they said they are releasing an OBD tool for Honda PGM-FI systems in a few months!

This is amazing! When it's released, anyone with a 2006 and newer Honda VFR will be able to dig deeper into the ECU to see what's going on - in real time.

FINALLY!

And what does that mean/do for us???????

• Member Contributer

FINALLY!

And what does that mean/do for us???????

It means if your bike is running like crap, you can find out what the ECU thinks is going on, and correct it. Right now the ECU is a black box we can't diagnose.

• Member Contributer

what about the 02-05 models

Bump...

Crap, sorry I missed that! Unfortunately the older ECUs do not have a Data Link output, they only have what's called the "Service Check Connector". It's a two-pin cable which only causes the FI codes to be displayed.

The newer ECUs use a four-pin connector which includes:

• +12V (Black/White) - handy for getting power to accessories on the front of the bike
  • Ground (Green)
  • Service Check (Brown) - so you can still get codes on the dashboard
  • Data (Orange/White)

• Member Contributer
I suspect this new unit wont be cheap either!

They're quoting $220 for the Suzuki unit and they told me they will charge the same or less for the Honda one.

As a similar example, Mitsubishi charge over $2,000 for their "MUT-II" diagnostic tool, but an enterprising chap built his own (Evoscan.com) and it costs about $100.

• Member Contributer

Same thing with the OBD2 scanner for cars. I bought a Snap on scanner back in 91 when I first started in the automotive field. I paid around 3500.00 for that thing along with a few cartridges for different vehicles. Now you can buy the basic scanner for around 100.00 dollars. As technology advances the prices go down. Honda basically uses OBD2 for these bikes so it should not cost that much to produce a sanner for these. It might not have advanced user features like the dealer units but it should work fine for diagnostic procedures and other things.

• Member Contributer

thats cool but a snap on scanner will do way more then one you buy from autozone or somthing.

I know, I still have my Snap On. I also have a 200.00 scanner that is smaller and easier to carry around and does everything the Snap on will do except for the advanced user functions. I use this to read/clear codes and also view live data when I go to someones house to help them out. Sure beats carrying around that huge Snap On box. Most people will only use the basic user systems anyway, so why spend a ton of money on something you don't need or will not use?

• Member Contributer

thats cool but a snap on scanner will do way more then one you buy from autozone or somthing.

I know, I still have my Snap On. I also have a 200.00 scanner that is smaller and easier to carry around and does everything the Snap on will do except for the advanced user functions. I use this to read/clear codes and also view live data when I go to someones house to help them out. Sure beats carrying around that huge Snap On box. Most people will only use the basic user systems anyway, so why spend a ton of money on something you don't need or will not use?

Agreed. The guys at RealFixesRealFast use a SnapOn "Verus" tablet PC and its main benefit is the way it graphs the data it collects from the OBD2 port as well as a multi channel digital oscilloscope built in. It also has links to procedures for various car models. But all this stuff can be done by hand using cheaper tools - it's just a pain in the butt.

A good example of how these expensive tools can be undercut is the cheap Bluetooth OBD2 modules, coupled with an Android phone or iPhone. The iPad also has a multi channel digital oscilloscope module you can buy and plug into it for about $350 USD.

• Member Contributer
Honda basically uses OBD2 for these bikes

Not sure if I agree with that. It's certainly not an OBD2 connector, and as far as the protocol goes it could be anything. You would hope it's a variant of J1850, but it could be CAN or ISO 9141...the list goes on.

Archived