attaching a battery tender

Guest redshifted

Guest redshifted

Hello,

Is there a link that shows how to attach a battery tender to the battery? This will be the first time I have to do it myself and I took a look under the seat and I just don't get it. I need pictures please. I have a 2007 interceptor. Thanks for your help. Oh and btw, the battery is dead!

Beth

There are two types of connectors (clamp and bolt on)...Red goes to the positive pole of the battery....... black goes to the negitive pole.

Plug the tinder into the wall......... then plug the pos , then the neg....... To unplug take the neg off , then the pos.

http://batterytender.com/motorcycle/battery-tender-junior-12v-at-0-75a.html

• Member Contributer

Take the seat off and there is a black piece of plastic covering the battery look at the keyhole and a little up and to the right there is what looks like a knob pull up on the knob and it releases that side of the cover. Now look an inch or two above and to the left and you will see another little knob that is somewhat covered by a rubber sheet this sheet just covers the other knob but it's near there and pull up the knob again to release it. Now grab this plastic piece and pull up it's a little tight but it will come up. Was nervous first time I took it off because it's tight but it does come off. When off put + clip on + terminal and - clip on - terminal and then plug in. Have a 07 also it's easy when you do it more than once.

Maybe I am missing parts of the battery tender. I think I only have the part with the cord that plugs in. I don't see the clamp piece or the other piece with the black and red circles. Sorry I am not sure of the part names I think I don't have the leads. I think I need more than just the part that plugs in the wall?

• Member Contributer

Look at Battery Tender site. There are two different types of plugs that can be used on the Battery Tender clips and a plug in type that is bolted to the terminals of the battery. If it's the battery tender your having problems with there site and google pictures you should be able to figure it out.

Is this a serious thread / request for help?

I see from the profile that the OP is here because they "need advice on how to sell my vfr". If your battery is dead, get a new one - list your bike and move along.

Come on - you "regulars" are responding to this - really?????? Sorry - my patience bank is on empty right now....

So why did you let her join in the 1st place?

To be honest, I never read the reason why Beth joined and if I had would still have given the same answer.

If the battery is dead so be it.

Maybe we need to go back to Mod Validation of members - joining VFRD just to sell a bike is not what VFRD is here for....

• Member Contributer

It's the internet and how many posts do we have everyday, plenty. Yes, selling the VFR did catch my eye but who am I to judge. Took the time to sign up and post a topic, I like open door policies.

• 2 weeks later...

What's with the hostility?? I needed help. I still have the bike and I'm trying to take care of it the way I can. I had a husband to do that for me and he just left one day and now I have to learn everything. The post about selling was to ask about selling in general. I've never sold a bike or much of anything. I needed feedback. I don't have a lot of experience with forum protocols either. Maybe have a little more patience with people, you were a newb once upon a time.

Beth

• Member Contributer

Beth,

Sorry to hear about your situation. The battery tender is easy to hook up. The pigtail end with the round terminals goes to the battery. The fused wire goes to positive terminal of battery and the other wire goes to the negative terminal of the battery. As far as hooking the battery tender itself up to the pigtail, it will only go one way. Then plug the unit into the wall outlet. My advice, keep the bike and stick around. I am sure there are a lot of good folks from the forum around your area that can help you out.

• Member Contributer

What's with the hostility?? I needed help. I still have the bike and I'm trying to take care of it the way I can. I had a husband to do that for me and he just left one day and now I have to learn everything.

You may have a powerlet on the bike -- if that is wired to the battery, you could use that outlet to charge the battery (with a powerlet connection between the tender and the outlet).

http://www.powerlet....rging-cable/261

post-2925-0-38561700-1322353176.jpg

What's with the hostility?? I needed help. I still have the bike and I'm trying to take care of it the way I can. I had a husband to do that for me and he just left one day and now I have to learn everything. The post about selling was to ask about selling in general. I've never sold a bike or much of anything. I needed feedback. I don't have a lot of experience with forum protocols either. Maybe have a little more patience with people, you were a newb once upon a time.

Beth

Hi Beth, let me explain - and then maybe you'll "get" where my "hostility" comes from.....

In your profile to the left of your post - it lists your post count - and right now you are listed as having a grand total of 5. From that I can likely assume you are new on VFRD. Conversely - you may have joined years ago and hadn't posted - but thats unlikely.

Having said that you are likely a new member - you also list an answer to the question of "Why VFRD?" as - "need advice on how to sell my VFR". We moderators have to try to filter out the scam artists that join here to sell their bike - then bail, or sell parts and contribute nothing to our online community. Long story short - when we see a new member - and their intent is to sell a bike or parts - we get a little leery of them (right or wrong - thats how it is.)

Lastly - for most people - connecting a battery tender is about as difficult as connecting jumper cables to a car battery. However- I guess AAA /CAA makes its money helping those folks that don't know how - and there are a fair amount of those tow trucks running around - so I guess I should lighten up on that one. A simple Google search of your brand of battery tender would likely also lead you to direct and specific information.

Oops - forgot to mention one more thing - with all the server changes we have had - we had to remove the Validation by Moderator function as it would have bogged the re-load of member info immensely. Because of this - we have basically opened the door to anyone that registers. Again - we now have to look at the info we have on members to help make decisions after they are "in" and posting. I think we need to restore the Validation by Moderator function.

I'm sorry that you were feeling hostility - but I also hope you understand now a little more - where I was coming from.

Enjoy the resources on VFRD - and if you end up selling the VFR through our site, feel free to make a donation to the forum.

And yes - I was once a newb here - and most days I am reminded of how little I still know and that I still have a ton to learn.

What's with the hostility?? I needed help. .....

Beth

Hi Beth, let me explain - and then maybe you'll "get" where my "hostility" comes from....

I'm sorry that you were feeling hostility - but I also hope you understand now a little more - where I was coming from.

Glad to read this explanation......

Isn't the negative supposed to go to the ground and not the negative terminal?

It's been said that neg. to ground is better than neg to batt terminal, but for trickle charging as opposed jump starting, I haven't heard of it being a problem. But you are right.

KK,

I appreciate where you are coming from and your apology. Just an FYI, your response was a little harsh, maybe next time go easy.

As it turns out I am missing the hook ups that attach to the battery. My brother (out of state) speculates they are either on my CBR or he took them when he cleaned out the garage. I am not tearing up the other bike. I got back on the internet and figured out that you can jump the battery with a car battery so I hooked up the Ridgeline and got it started twice, it will not hold a charge. It seems like I need a new battery. I do have a powerlet and it is hooked up to the battery but no special charging cord. Although, that was a good idea. If the bike sells tomorrow, I hope the buyer knows how to install a new battery!! Thanks for your help.

Beth

• Member Contributer

To the OP...check out VFR world or some other site that doesn't depend solely on donations for operations. VFRD.com accepts no outside money for advertisements. We are a fairly tightly knit group here and value our autonomy that comes from a lot of dedicated efforts from our CEO and moderators, not to mention all the members that contribute not only money, but expertise and help to mechanical midgets like me. Someone may correct me, but last time I checked, VFRD.com is NOT a clearing house for bike and parts sales...sorry if it offends you, but that's the way I see it.

Gentleman you obviously are going to see what you want to see in my post. The reality of my situation is I have the bike, I have two bikes that still need to be maintained. I needed help with an issue with my VFR. One thing I figured out is to go to forums and ask for help. That is the point of a forum, is it not? To share information, knowledge and expertise. To talk to others with the same interest. Attaching a battery tender has nothing to do with selling the bike. That is what you do to a bike if you are not going to ride it over the winter. I couldn't figure out how to do it, I needed help. If you only wanted experts to join maybe you should be more selective on who can sign up. Keep out the dumb people and liars trying to take advantage of you all.

Beth

Seven out of 20 of these post are answers to try and help you with your concerns, myself included, let the rest go and just read the helpful ones.

If you do keep the bike you can order a powerlet pigtail to fit.

Also jumping a bike with a car batt is not advisible, even if it can be done, IIRC it is done without the car running, if done wrong can hurt things electrical.

Good luck with what ever your outcome is.

• Member Contributer

I do have a powerlet and it is hooked up to the battery but no special charging cord.

Sportrider shoots, blindfolded, and scores! :tour:

• 1 month later...

I am a bit saddened to see how a general request for fairly simple information was treated. Does it really matter if she is trying to sell the bike or just winterize it to sell in spring or to ride? While VFRD is solely supported by it's members it also doesn't have a problem generating revenue...we are not hurting here and can help a lady 9or gent) in need.

Hooking up a battery tender is indeed easy...if you have the parts and are not generally leery of working on motorcycles. There are enough people who take their bikes in for oil changes and what not to prove that it isn't a slam dunk for everyone as simple as it is. I am glad Beth got the help she needs (you did, right?). I have the Powerlet charger attachment if you need it on my site.

• Member Contributer

Seven out of 20 of these post are answers to try and help you with your concerns, myself included, let the rest go and just read the helpful ones.

If you do keep the bike you can order a powerlet pigtail to fit.

Also jumping a bike with a car batt is not advisible, even if it can be done, IIRC it is done without the car running, if done wrong can hurt things electrical.

Good luck with what ever your outcome is.

Monk is right. Please do not attempt to jump your battery off of a running car. This needs to be done with the car off. The amount of electricity required to start your <800cc motor won't even affect the car battery, there is no need to have the car running and the extra voltage could do damage.

I, for one, am glad that you asked for help. I live in Michigan and would hate to buy what I expect to be a shiny nice 2007 VFR only to find out the wiring has been fried, and the battery is only good for a few starts.

When I first started I asked plenty of stupid questions, and if I had been missing part of a battery tender I would have been confused, too. I had the fortunate experience of receiving lots of encouragement along the way. Now, if you look through my posts, you'll see I probably answer 20 times as many questions as I ask.

Let me be clear, I am criticizing no one. I know it can be frustrating to try and moderate an open internet forum. I have seen how that can attract people who embody the opposite of what VFRD stands for. Go to a GSX-R or a even a CBR website if you don't believe me. It is because of these policies that VFRD is not only more civil but more open to seemingly stupid questions. I'm willing to bet if this had been asked on a GSX-R forum, there would have been dozens of one word responses (fail, noob, etc.)

I have the Powerlet charger attachment if you need it on my site.

This is your best bet, plug one end of the attachment into the powerlet on your bike, and the other end into your battery tender (assuming your battery isn't completely friend by now-which is likely is).

I have bought from Tightwad many times and ALWAYS have a better experience (and usually much, much better prices) than if I had bought something from a big-retailer. I highly recommend www.wiremybike.com

Archived