Go Pro Hero 960 HD

5thGenJim

• Member Contributer

Everytime I look at one of these, I think, "dayum, I want one." The 960 produces sufficient quality HD video and these can be gotten for under $200 brandy-new delivered. So, why am I hesitating?? Should I hesitate or just dive in and go nuts???

1421112_ra.jpg

• Member Contributer

Sorry - the question now is not whether I should buy it, but whether I just made a mistake buying it... Couldn't fight the urge anymore.

• Member Contributer

I love my goprp, as evidenced by all the silly videos I have posted. They are addictive.

picked it up... and two 8 gig cards. Fiddling with it now.

I love my goprp, as evidenced by all the silly videos I have posted. They are addictive.

Here's a link for your wonderings/ there'a also a instruction manual(same as the paper one, I just find it easier to use than messing with the paper).

http://gopro.com/support/

The original batterry will last for less than 2.5hrs, so bring with your battery charger or get a spare pack if you plan for a long ride. The battery could be recharged quite fast, using bike's cigarette power outlet may almost fully charge within less than 2hrs.

• Member Contributer

So where are the best places to mount the camera on the bike? I typically have Givi side bags mounted and a zero G dark smoke wind screen.

• Member Contributer

I am a former owner of a GoPro. When I say "former" it means that I would still be an owner had I zip tied the protective case shut. I mounted mine on the front fender using the adhesive mount and it worked fine the first 4 or 5 times I used it. When I went to North Carolina for TMAC the latch on the protective case opened on its own and out fell my GoPro with LCD attachment mounted on the back. Didn't bother looking for it since it could have fell out anywhere over the span of about 10 miles of curvy roads. Remember to tether the camera and zip tie the case shut and you'll be ok. Video quality was good and mounting options good but the damn thing really needs a remote control.

Rollin

• Member Contributer

So where are the best places to mount the camera on the bike? I typically have Givi side bags mounted and a zero G dark smoke wind screen.

That's what I've been trying to causally figure out. So far I favor the suction cup mounted on the tank aimed through the wind screen, seems to be the most stable for me and, it shows ride lean angles nicely.... however, it also show just how crappy a rider I am. blush.gif

• Member Contributer

That's what I've been trying to causally figure out. So far I favor the suction cup mounted on the tank aimed through the wind screen, seems to be the most stable for me and, it shows ride lean angles nicely.... however, it also show just how crappy a rider I am. blush.gif

I'm guessing the suction cup is an accessory (not included) in the package??? I didn't see one of those. That's my worry. I've got two adhesive mounts - one flat and one curved - and will only get one shot to put them in the right spot.

Zip tie = :idea3:

• Member Contributer

I'm guessing the suction cup is an accessory (not included) in the package??? I didn't see one of those. That's my worry. I've got two adhesive mounts - one flat and one curved - and will only get one shot to put them in the right spot.

Zip tie = :idea3:

Zip tie! Excellent idea! I got my GoPro Hero HD for xmas a few years back and it came with the suction mount as well as several adhesive mounts. You're right about "one shot" to get it right, those buggers don't come off easy!

gallery_16535_4484_2979121.jpg

gallery_16535_4484_1198590.jpg

These pic's are how I was testing it, and after that I switched to the sticky mount to cut down on mounting length(movement), and use the mirror mounts for safety tying the GP.

Now when I use the suc-cup, I'll use it on the tank and strap it as high as I can to my tank bag to cut down on movement.

I like that setup, Monk.

The cool thing about the tank mount is you can catch speed/rpm but you don't really get the road as much as you would with a windscreen mount. I'd also guess there's less wind noise being on the tank.

I have a 6th Gen VFR, with heli-bars, so can not mount the GoPro on the steering bar or on the mirror.

I have tried to mount on the gas tank, but the mounting seemed so low, the video was taken with 3/4 screen was speedometer panel, 1/4 screen was sky and can not see the road.

I have mounted the GoPro on my helmet, using the helmet trap. I was riding with more than 200km/h, and the camera stayed still.

DSC_6360.jpg

This mounting method will make you difficult to open screen of the helmet. Make you feel the noise of the wind while riding fast.

And more important, you need your friend to tell you how to adjust the recording direction as you can not see your helmet top while wearing it.

Here is a screen-shot of the video taken by my GoPro mounted on helmet:

LK0.jpg

I think for the best performance, I will make a customized mount kit for the Camera. That will be extended from the two gas tank bolts upward, until the Cam higher than the tachometer.

I like that setup, Monk.

The cool thing about the tank mount is you can catch speed/rpm but you don't really get the road as much as you would with a windscreen mount. I'd also guess there's less wind noise being on the tank.

Here are some vid's on wind screen and on tank, since these were made I have cut down the rice krispies(type sounds).

The sticky mounts can be removed with no harm go the surface that it has been stick on. Replacement sticky pads are available. eBay has 10 million solutions. I never use the tank mount because of my opaque screen, but I did use that option in Germany on that cbr and it worked well.

• Member Contributer

The sticky mounts can be removed with no harm go the surface that it has been stick on. Replacement sticky pads are available. eBay has 10 million solutions. I never use the tank mount because of my opaque screen, but I did use that option in Germany on that cbr and it worked well.

Timmy - that tank mount is the stuff included in the package or is that something you chased down separately. Gotta start putting scratch away for Catskills. =)

Timmy - that tank mount is the stuff included in the package or is that something you chased down separately. Gotta start putting scratch away for Catskills. =)

If you look though the link I left in post 5 of this thread, it has all you need to know in there.......

• Member Contributer

Very funny Timmy!!!! Looks like you have an aspiring Spelburg (sp) on your hands

• Member Contributer

There's no denying paternity with those boys, Timmy. They are their father's sons. :laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer

Too bad you hit the wrong button and have 1000 jpgs to stitch together into a movie

:owned:

• Member Contributer

under $200 seems a good price

at least 220 euro's here...

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Videos are coming out pretty decent... but, I just got a nasty-gram from Youtube about posting a video that contains copyrighted material (i.e. Music). I know there are ways to strip it down and clean it up, but I'm not there yet. What are the rules, in layman's terms, for posting video with music to youtube??

Archived