Neck/Back Protection

zubin

Does anyone have a suggestion/opinion to offer regarding the use of motorcycling specific back protectors and neck braces (similar to Alpinestars all the way up to BMW design) for routine street use? I know many people who use back protectors for track days, but don't know many/any who use either back protectors or neck braces for street riding. Curious what other VFRD members think, given that 100% of my accident risk occurs on the street....any suggestions, criticisms, products are welcomed.

• Member Contributer

Does anyone have a suggestion/opinion to offer regarding the use of motorcycling specific back protectors and neck braces (similar to Alpinestars all the way up to BMW design) for routine street use? I know many people who use back protectors for track days, but don't know many/any who use either back protectors or neck braces for street riding. Curious what other VFRD members think, given that 100% of my accident risk occurs on the street....any suggestions, criticisms, products are welcomed.

Cool/cold weather jacket had a pocket for the back protector I added it, changed the sizing by about 1/2 size now a little tight at the armpits.

Will have to wait till the cool weather comes back to see if it's a real problem.

Warm weather jacket had the generic one included, better than none and it isn't perforated so back sweats on a hot day (not many of those this year)

I am looking to find one that offers better protection and breathes.

So in answer to your question yes I wear a back protector but not a neck brace.

Let's hope no one here 'Needs One'.

Adrian

• Member Contributer

Having slid down the road on my back I was happy to wear a jacket with a backprotector underneath. :fing02:

HPIM3957.jpg

My new jacket has a build-in, CE approved protector

Be aware that -at least on the european market- motorcycle jackets MUST have CE-approved (that is protectors that meet a minimum energy absorbtion norm) elbow and should protectors.

Whereas if there is a pocket for a backprotector, that is not compulsory (and you have to purchase one).

So this label, if you read it carefully, says it is possible to fit them, not stating all are......

HPIM3956.jpg

The inserts are a very wobbly/open foam that offer no impact protection.

Here the difference between non and CE protector (hip section on pants)

non-CE

HPIM3954.jpg

CE

HPIM3951.jpg

I wear a CE approved back protector as an insert in my jacket. It's not quite as big as a back protector worn separately from the jacket, but it insures that I always have it on. The CE rating is a must have to ensure that you are getting a good product.

• Member Contributer

Let's be clear on our wordage here, when you guys are saying back protector, you are referring to an actual back protector, and not the single-piece foam pad that can be inserted into the back of a jacket, right? Even if CE approved, I think of this is a back pad, and not a back protector.

Back pad: 1 piece of foam, goes inside of jacket. Some track days will require more protection.

Back protector: multiple foam pieces, with multiple plastic pieces. Mounts with thick velcro straps that wrap around the rider. Sometimes required for use on track.

Is this right?

• Member Contributer

Ryan makes some very good points.

The back protector shown in Dutchy's post is much different than the pads in most if not all jackets.

The back pads in the jackets also differ a great deal.

I have three jackets with CE approved shoulder and elbow "armor", but only one of the back pads is actually labeled "CE Approved".

The shoulder and elbow pads are all labeled "CE Approved" and I'm guessing that the back pads that are not CE labeled do not meet CE approval.

CE approved "armor" is good for absorbing some of the initial impact, but if you plan to slide down the road on your back, elbows or shoulders, the so called armor won't do much for abrasion resistance.

Thats where the material of the jacket comes in and a back protector like Dutchy's will certainly add to the protection.

Unfortunately, good protection is going to be expensive and hot.

Fortunately, you can compromise and be a lot better off than jeans and a t shirt.

The "armor" label for the shoulder and elbow pads is something that I feel is somewhat misleading.

CE approved pads definitely help absorb impact, but I certainly wouldn't consider them to be armor.

I wear an Icon Field Armor vest pretty much anytime I'm riding. The only "problem" is that you get virtually no airflow in your jacket (that you can feel anyway - even in perforated leather) with it on...so on overly warm days you sweat hardcore. A friend of a friend was "poked" in the chest by a flailing piece of trim on a cager as he tried to pass on the highway...penetrating his jacket (not to mention scaring the crap out of him). I started wearing my vest regularly after hearing about it.

I got it on sale for like $70 and am very happy with it's performance.

And yes, I've crashed in it...but why you have to bring up old stuff? :huh:

• Member Contributer

I bought a separate back protector insert for my jacket similar to this. Removed the foam back pad and inserted the hard protector. Better air flow than the pad and cost around $80. Significant improvement in protection, only downside is if you tried to fold up your jacket to fit it into a saddle bag (virtualy a non-issue)

dainese_shield_air_g1_MD.jpg

• Member Contributer

Bought an Alpinestars Air Verona Jacket this spring. Most breathable and comfortable warm weather riding jacket I have ever owned. The material is very light weight and sturdy and it comes with removable CE approved padding in the elbows and shoulders.

My link

I added the BioArmor back protector and it actually breathes well!

My link

You can always count on me to reply to safety gear Threads!

I feel one can never have enough safety gear. I have steadily added more and more to my kit. I first thought that the back protector was all I needed to add to my good quality (Dianese) jackets so I bought a full length Dianese back protector. I really felt better wearing it. But then after thinking, watching, and especially, having a bird strike me in the chest I realized I probably should have a chest protector. But unless one is wearing a 1-piece suit there really aren't choices for adding just a chest protector to an exisiting back protector. There are quite a few choices in complete safety "under garments" though. I finally bought a Velocity Gear "Juggernaut" that replaces ALL the armor in a standard jacket. Elbow, shoulder, back and chest all are covered with EXCELLENT hard armor...not the flimsy padding or thin plastic in most jackets. But the issue is now one needs to remove ALL of the armor in the jacket because you don't want two layers (it won't even come close to fitting anyway). I haven't had the time to figure out how the built-in elbow armor is removed from my three jackets. And yes, it is hotter but if I valued comfort more than safety I wouldn't be riding a motocycle in the first place. I've been down. I know what the risks are. Any object can come your way. I want to be prepared. I really don't care if I get stupid comments from the public or if I smell a bit from sweating. I rather like my limbs, my backbone, and my quality of life.

Now as far as neck protection, I don't really know the best options for that.

I appreciate very much that opinions are coming in on this topic. I'm going to do some research on neck protection and look further into some of the products suggested here. We just had a bike vs SUV fatality here last night (not speculating on causal factors) so injury minimization is still a topic in the forefront for me.

• Member Contributer

Neck protectors are still fairly new. Last time I was at the track people were saying we'd be required to use them on the track before too long...

Personally, I'm going to wait until there's more experience with them, and hopefully they get less big and clunky...

By conicicence, a little over 2 weeks ago, I just finished attaching a Dainese neck protector to my Dainese Backspace 2 back protector. The neck protector was meant for later model Dainese back protectors, but the dealer I got it from had the neck piece on clearance for 5 bucks, so I could not resist. so I got it and attached it to my Backspace 2 using aluminum, very short "Chicago screws" and black plastic screw head covers from a license plate bolt kit to protect my jacket liners from the metal screw heads. They're the two small black bumps near the bottom of the neck piece in the pics.. I think it turned out OK and should provide a little bit more protection.

Picture139-1.jpg

Picture138-1.jpg

Picture137-2.jpg

Only thing I did not anticipate is the collars on my jackets feel just a little bit more snug around my neck when zipped up all the way, but the neck piece is surprisingly not obstrusive in terms of letting my head still swivel around enough to do head checks while riding.

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

By conicicence, a little over 2 weeks ago, I just finished attaching a Dainese neck protector to my Dainese Backspace 2 back protector. The neck protector was meant for later model Dainese back protectors, but the dealer I got it from had the neck piece on clearance for 5 bucks, so I could not resist. so I got it and attached it to my Backspace 2 using aluminum, very short "Chicago screws" and black plastic screw head covers from a license plate bolt kit to protect my jacket liners from the metal screw heads. They're the two small black bumps near the bottom of the neck piece in the pics.. I think it turned out OK and should provide a little bit more protection.

This is interesting. I've only seen the ones that go all the way around front and back and look like little neck cages.

Ones like this.

How does your neck protector compare?

After a friend was rearended on his street bike while stopped at a red light I purchased and started wearing a back protector. The bike was pushed out from under him, he landed on the hood, and he was throw off the hood onto the pavement as the car stopped. He slid on his back into the intersection and luckily suffered only minor back injury. The foam pad in his jacket helped but not enough.

In my touring gear I use a hard multi layer foam CE approved pad in the sleeve of the jacket. In my leathers and for aggressive corner carving I ditched the foam pad that came in the jacket and wear a Teknic back protector like the one below. I have not looked into neck protection but I do want to upgrade my back protector package to one that includes the option to attach a chest protector for track events.

aSpine-Guard-7-Link.jpg

This is interesting. I've only seen the ones that go all the way around front and back and look like little neck cages.

Ones like this.

That's an interesting product, I'd like to try that one on for comfort and fit if I can locate it...thanks for the share!

Ones like this.

From what I see in the link you provided, the Alpinestars system seems to work like a "HANS" device that protects against neck hyperxtension when a helmeted head is subjected to very high decellerative forces as what happened to Dale Earnhardt. The Dianese neck protector on the other hand, I think, works just as an extension of the back protector which absorbs direct impact that could damage the spinal chord. I would say the Alpinestar system provides much more protection, but it is a much bigger more complicated device.

Beck

95 VFR.

This is apparently the most expensive option I've discovered (although post catastrophic injury, I suppose it would seem like a ridiculous bargain...I'm not there yet...

BMW/KTM Design Brace

And if I could get the product direct in the US, with our CDN $ I'd even be up $10 on top of the massive price difference...

Leatt Direct

• Member Contributer

Leat has just introduced their street/racing neck brace. They are on the cutting edge of this technology. I tried a Leat brace on at the motogp race at Laguna Seca. I am guessing that within a year, maybe two, no one will be on the track without one.

I would get a SAS tec insert if you have a pocket in your jacket for it. It is my current technology of choice. An insert is about $50 bucks.

Over the years I have collected a number of back protectors. I have an Alpinestars Bionic setup that is a mesh undergarment with back, arm, and chest protection. Very good for the track but pretty bulky. If you have textile gear without much protection, this is a great way to make your kit super protective.

With my revit touring kit I have SAS tec CE armor. It is cutting edge; it hardens on impact. It is not too expensive but it is very good. It is flexible and when it warms up it molds to your body a bit.

Under my full leather track suit I use a Forcefield Pro L2 back protector; its a separate back protector that has waist and shoulder straps and is very serious protection. I really looked around at the reviews and decided that this armor gave me the best protection for a stand alone back protector. (Interesting note: Joe Rocket licensed the technology and may sell a similar product under their own name. I typically associate Joe Rocket with middle of the road quality, so I was surprised to see them use the forcefield tech).

The stuff that comes with most jackets is just spongy junk. Even my Vanson jacket's "hard armor" was basically a piece of plastic with some foam inside. The good news is that back protectors aren't that expensive to get good quality. I think a SAS tec insert will run you about 50 bucks.

• Member Contributer

Leat has just introduced their street/racing neck brace. They are on the cutting edge of this technology. I tried a Leat brace on at the motogp race at Laguna Seca. I am guessing that within a year, maybe two, no one will be on the track without one.

I would get a SAS tec insert if you have a pocket in your jacket for it. It is my current technology of choice. An insert is about $50 bucks.

Over the years I have collected a number of back protectors. I have an Alpinestars Bionic setup that is a mesh undergarment with back, arm, and chest protection. Very good for the track but pretty bulky. If you have textile gear without much protection, this is a great way to make your kit super protective.

With my revit touring kit I have SAS tec CE armor. It is cutting edge; it hardens on impact. It is not too expensive but it is very good. It is flexible and when it warms up it molds to your body a bit.

Under my full leather track suit I use a Forcefield Pro L2 back protector; its a separate back protector that has waist and shoulder straps and is very serious protection. I really looked around at the reviews and decided that this armor gave me the best protection for a stand alone back protector. (Interesting note: Joe Rocket licensed the technology and may sell a similar product under their own name. I typically associate Joe Rocket with middle of the road quality, so I was surprised to see them use the forcefield tech).

The stuff that comes with most jackets is just spongy junk. Even my Vanson jacket's "hard armor" was basically a piece of plastic with some foam inside. The good news is that back protectors aren't that expensive to get good quality. I think a SAS tec insert will run you about 50 bucks.

I think I'll start saving and see if I can access this from someone in the US...that pricing is much more attractive, although I see they have Cdn representation right here in Edmonton, which may be worth investigating next week. I appreciate the continued discussion and feedback, everyone. Of the MC forums I'm on, VFRD is truly an amazing resource!

Leatt Road STX Brace

You are well-equipped, Red Runner! Good for you!

And you are correct on your last observation...most armor in most jackets (even good jackets) is flimsy and only slightlt better than nothing. Going with additional armor is a wise move.

• Member Contributer

I wear the Knox Contour at the track and during aggressive riding trips...probably should always wear it.

Linky:

The key point with this one is how wide it is at the top to fully protect the scapula bones. And yeah, it's kinda hot...

After a slow speed crash this spring, where I dislocated my right shoulder (A-C separation) I can vouch for how little protection some armour that comes with jackets provides. Even the CE approved armour that feels like rubbery pads I think can be suspect. I think the pads that have a combination of soft energy absorbing components covered by a hard shell component offer more protection.

Archived