Fork Help!!!

douglasthecook

Does anyone know if CBR 1000RR Forks will fit in CBR 954 Upper and Lower triple clamps? I was having my mechanic swap out the fork bottoms from CBR 1000RR forks to my CBR 954 forks, but he said that they won't fit, as the 1000RR fork tubes are 45mm, and the 954 tubes are 43mm. So I pretty much have all the parts except for good forks now. I don't necessarily want to get a whole new/complete set-up if I don't have to. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

According to the fork swap data spreadsheet that is floating around here, at least up to '09 Fireblade forks are 50/54mm.

The mechanic took quite some time to find out the parts don't match :mellow:

YES

edit - what year are your 1000 forks? The 04-05 were the shortest ones... (bronze colored bottoms - 06-07 had black caliper mounts instead of bronze)

I honestly can't remember, as it's been over 3 months since I've seen them. I don't want shorter forks though, as I like the way my VFR handels with the 954 forks. Those were already shorter than the stock forks, and I like the way they make my VFR handle. So, basically if I get 06-07 forks, they'll be of similiar length, and fit in the 954 triple clamps, both upper and lower? I just want to make sure that I get this right this time, as I've already missed out on 2 months of riding. Thanks for the assistance!!!

• Member Contributer

Does anyone know if CBR 1000RR Forks will fit in CBR 954 Upper and Lower triple clamps? I was having my mechanic swap out the fork bottoms from CBR 1000RR forks to my CBR 954 forks, but he said that they won't fit, as the 1000RR fork tubes are 45mm, and the 954 tubes are 43mm. So I pretty much have all the parts except for good forks now. I don't necessarily want to get a whole new/complete set-up if I don't have to. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

The diameter of the stanchions doesn't necessarily correlate to the diameter of the outer tube (which is the part that clamps into the triples). However, based on press releases (always a bit dangerous, in my opinion), the RR's stanchions have always been (and as of 2010, still were) the same diameter as the USD 'Blade stanchions: 43mm. And checking on Ron Ayers, although there was a significant change in 2008, even the 2010 'Blade uses the same slider bushings as the Y2k 900RR, which tells me that the stanchion diameter has not changed. (The conventional-forked CBR900RRs had 45mm OD stanchions.)

Ciao,

The diameter of the stanchions doesn't necessarily correlate to the diameter of the outer tube (which is the part that clamps into the triples). However, based on press releases (always a bit dangerous, in my opinion), the RR's stanchions have always been (and as of 2010, still were) the same diameter as the USD 'Blade stanchions: 43mm. And checking on Ron Ayers, although there was a significant change in 2008, even the 2010 'Blade uses the same slider bushings as the Y2k 900RR, which tells me that the stanchion diameter has not changed. (The conventional-forked CBR900RRs had 45mm OD stanchions.)

Ciao,

Thanks for re-assuring me that I wasn't crazy!!! I thought that pretty much all recent inner fork tubes for the CBR 929/954/1000 were all 43mm. I plan on going to see my mechanic this afternoon, and see what the issue is, thanks again!!!

• Member Contributer

please tell us it will all be ok.................... :fing02:

Well, it seems that I have received the worng parts. When I bought the parts off of eBay a year or so ago, I thought I bought CBR 1000RR forks, what I got wans't CBR 1000RR Forks. Fortunately thay didn't cost too much. So this past Friday, I purchased another set of CBR 1000RR Forks, and actually talked to the guy on the phone. Once they come in, it should be a direct drop in swap. Easier, but this little mistake has cost me 2 months + of good riding time.Oh well, I can't really be mad at anyone except myself, as I should have veryfied the measurements prior tp dropping the forks at tmy mechanic. As good as he is, he can't fit 41mm fork bottoms on 43mm fork tubes.

Well that explains a lot.......

Yup, I'm a dumbass...the bad thing is that I normally do check for compatibility, and ensure the measurements are correct before taking them up to my mechanic, as he's normally really busy, and I do what I can to help him out. It's my fault, and I've learned my lesson!!!

Hey, these things happen!

Can you take some pics of the incorrect parts, I'd like to see what you actually got. Might help you ID them so you can sell & recoup your money...

Hey, these things happen!

Can you take some pics of the incorrect parts, I'd like to see what you actually got. Might help you ID them so you can sell & recoup your money...

Well, about that...the forks that I bought were bent, and the only reason that I got the was for the bottoms, as those were still in really good shape. IU can tell you that the outer fork tubes were blaks, and that the inner tubes didn't have any coating for friction reduction. So it's not like I'm out alot of $$$, I think I only spent like $50.00 for them.