another helmet quiz

hawglet

Since my Shark got stolen last week I've been searching helmets. I wouldn't be opposed to buying another RSI but I don't care for this years paint schemes too much, plus there has to be something else out there. I'm looking at the $350 price as the higher end but cheaper the better. I really liked the fit of the RSI, nearly perfect for my head, which is oval/egg shaped, common euro head type. My attribute priority list would look something like this (high to low): quiet, vented well, stable, plush interior, light, and lastly graphics. I don't know why the dealers won't let you leave a credit card with them and test ride a helmet for 3-5 minutes. Even a small charge for this service would be okay. At least a guy good get a good personal evaluation of a helmet that way. Suggestions of helmet please, I really need to order one soon, like hopefully this week.

I live in Nebraska so it's hot, humid, or both most days of the season and often windy, which contributes to higher noise levels too. The helmets I've owned and thought about them below:

Icon Alliance (1st edition)- rough interior, loud, poor venting, fit head okay, poor stability

Shark RSI-nice interior, low-ish noise, fair venting, fit head great, nice stability

KBC VR1- moderate interior, moderate noise, moderate venting, fit head well, reasonably stable

Old AGV unknown mdl- dont remember much

Old Bell unknown mdl- dont remember much

Have you tried the Scorpion EX 400 or 700, They have the best antil fog visor on the market and the prices on the 400 line has been dirt cheap. dont clean the inside of the visor other than water.

THe 700 has fiberglass shell, verses the poly carbonet of the 400, but they are the same otherwise both Snell rated

I was noticing how much nicer the weight of my Dirt bike helmet is over the street helmet, you head can sure swivel alot faster. Id like a light weight Araiya.

• Member Contributer

Sorry to hear about your RSI. I have the RSR2 and I find I have to wear plugs with it for the very reasons you describe. I like the fit and the weight and my headshape is similar. Check out www.webbikeworld.com for the best helmet reviews I've seen anywhere.

My head is "oval" so I always used Shoei.

Recently got Arai RX7 and it's great except too close to the chin.

Scorpions all give me headache with a pressure point on my forehead.

But that's just me, have a friend who has similar shape head and Scorpions fit him well, must be this Klingon ridge I have...

• Member Contributer

even if you can't talk your way into a brief ride with a new helmet (maybe you could promise not to sweat in it) you can always do what I do.

Put it on and walk around the store for 20-30 minutes while you window shop or try on boots.

After that long you can tell if it has a hot spot on the front or sides and although it wont tell you if it's quiet you can at least if the fit is in the ball park.

I think cycle gear offers a return policy on helmets as well if you buy it and go for a 30 minute ride and return....

even if you can't talk your way into a brief ride with a new helmet (maybe you could promise not to sweat in it) you can always do what I do.

Put it on and walk around the store for 20-30 minutes while you window shop or try on boots.

After that long you can tell if it has a hot spot on the front or sides and although it wont tell you if it's quiet you can at least if the fit is in the ball park.

I think cycle gear offers a return policy on helmets as well if you buy it and go for a 30 minute ride and return....

+1.gif on going to a store and wearing in-house for 20 min's or so....And the Scorpion is quite.

i'm long-oval and have a Scorpion, go with either the EX 400 or 700

My head is "oval" so I always used Shoei.

Recently got Arai RX7 and it's great except too close to the chin.

Scorpions all give me headache with a pressure point on my forehead.

But that's just me, have a friend who has similar shape head and Scorpions fit him well, must be this Klingon ridge I have...

Mine is the same way and I just bought a Shoei Multitec and absolutely love it. Fits perfect. I also have a KBC VR1 and its too "round" on my head and puts pressure on my forehead, but its fine for the track which is all I use it for. My other street helmet was a Vemar (I forget the model, but its 4 years old or so) which also fit my head perfect.

So this far I'm thinking I might get an AGV K3 now and maybe a Shark RSR2 later this year or this winter maybe. However, anybody have any experience with the K3?

I really liked my Shark but I've got too many things going to put out that money without expecting to do it in the first place. Plus Shark has several new helmets in Euro. that will be stateside next year such as the Vision-R.

Just want to be sure the K3 is reasonably quiet and vents fair. From what I've read it's not bad on venting but haven't read too much on the noise levels. I did check out Web Bike but I like to have more than one opinion in these matters.

Is there a Cycle Gear in your area as they offer a great helmet return program.

Closest one is in Lenexa, KS which is about 5 plus hours away. I've actually never been in a Cycle Gear store and to make that worse, I didn't even know they existed. I just thought they were strictly mail/internet order. I'll have to stop in there next time I'm down in KC metro area.

I ordered an AGV K3 today. We'll see. This winter I'll probably order a new Shark but I want to see what models they bring out in the States next year first. I actually printed off the lowest price I could find online, took that into my local Honda dealer and he beat it by 10% on both the helmet and tinted shield. I like keeping my money local whenever possible but the economics have to be there too, if they are close, I do it but if it means spending significantly more than on the net, I'll order it myself. If they have it in stock and I can have it today that's a little different but.... Today's deal was great, best of both worlds and I'll get it in 2 days.

Archived