Need Luggage Help - 6th Gen sidecase setup

Guest Varrus999

Guest Varrus999

I just got my bike and with all the costs this year I was going ot defer luggage addtion until next year. That said, I have been researching my options and it looks like the Kappa cases offer the same quality as Give and from what I am seeing in the pics, don't look too bad..

Asthetically I prefer the look of the sidecase setup with no topcase, but I am also looking for function...I have a few questions that hopefully will be tolerated - I have done some research but am gettting more and more confused!!

-will the sidecases (any) hold a full face or flip up helmet?

-which are the ones that seem to hug the rear contours of the VFR?

-which mount would I need to mount only sidecases so I can keep the grab rails and leave the back of the bike looking relativily clean?

As I said, I was planning on waiting, but my wife is going to Phillipenes this summer and I want to research if I can get the luggage there cheaper - she can fill the cases with all the clothes she is planning to buy and stuff them in her checked suitcases (will they fit?)

I appreciate all the input!

Varrus

Ok so I have done some research and it seems the Givi V35 and V35Tech are the ones that hug the contour of the bike. They look good! According to Givi's site, they will hold a single helmet, and I would need the '076-PLXR166 “Easy Fit Tubular Side case Holder” to mount them...

Does anyone what the comparable Kappa model would be? I don't think the Kappa ones hug the rear as nicely. Also is there a Kappa website!! I can't seem to find one!

Thanks.

Varrus

• Member Contributer

I am sure if someone does know they will provide some details to you. No dealers in your area carry the Kappa line for you too look at? if not, email these guys in Calgary and see what info / prices they charge. I have the GIVI V46 and V35 on my bike with the PLXR mount system so the side bags come off in seconds. I can get my helmet in to the top case np.

My link

• Member Contributer

I had factory cases on my old 2002 and I don't think they would fit a helmet...come to think I'm not sure I've seen any that will.

There used to be good deals on those from David Silver Spares out of the UK, I thought...maybe that is no more.

I would grab one of Kanadian Ken's solo mount brackets and put a nice Givi top case on there. They will hold a helmet and then that gives you some flexibility on the side cases...could even go soft luggage while you save up some cash for your hard ones.

Good luck.

• Member Contributer

Ok so I have done some research and it seems the Givi V35 and V35Tech are the ones that hug the contour of the bike. They look good! According to Givi's site, they will hold a single helmet, and I would need the '076-PLXR166 “Easy Fit Tubular Side case Holder” to mount them...

I don't recall any Givi site claiming that the V35s will hold a helmet (maybe there is, but I don't recall it...). My V35s will not hold my helmet (HJC modular). I like the bags, and from my point of view, if I have them on the bike, it is because they are already crammed full of my touring gear, so there wouldn't be any room for a helmet anyways.

Glenn

• Member Contributer

Ok so I have done some research and it seems the Givi V35 and V35Tech are the ones that hug the contour of the bike. They look good! According to Givi's site, they will hold a single helmet, and I would need the '076-PLXR166 "Easy Fit Tubular Side case Holder" to mount them...

I don't recall any Givi site claiming that the V35s will hold a helmet (maybe there is, but I don't recall it...). My V35s will not hold my helmet (HJC modular). I like the bags, and from my point of view, if I have them on the bike, it is because they are already crammed full of my touring gear, so there wouldn't be any room for a helmet anyways.

Glenn

My XL Joe Rocket RKT101 (Carbon, but I think the shell is the same shape/size) fits in the Honda side bags just fine.

Large Scorpion EXO 900 will fit in the Givi V35's.

Bear in mind they make it a really wide bike.

Honda ST1300 Bag to bag outside..... 31 inches

Triumph Sprint ST Bag to bag outside... 31 inches

Honda VFR w givi35's Bag to bag outside... 42 inches

Dave

Honda panniers are expensive but given the fit and finish worth the extra $$$. colour coded and streamlined.

they fit a a full face helmet. I was only going to use them as required but given they are so unobtrusive i never take them off.

post-21215-0-40377400-1301886196_thumb.j

• Member Contributer

I have the OEM bags and they fit my medium Shoei TZR helmet. Although I have the side bags, If I could do it again I would get a topcase first. I think its more practical and more convenient to use. IMHO

---David

• Member Contributer

There used to be good deals on those from David Silver Spares out of the UK, I thought...maybe that is no more.

The supply of color matched OEM top cases is drying up for 6th gens. I recently got one out of the UK for mine, as top cases for all but a few model years seem to be non-existent in the US. Gloss black can still be had though. FYI - If you go the UK route, be careful how you describe them to the air freight company when they clear customs. I made the mistake of calling it "motor cycle luggage". They then classified it as "luggage" like you would put in the overhead on a plane, which carries a 20% duty. Yikes! If you call it "motorcycle accessories" or "motorcycle body work", the duty is zero. I'm appealing mine - but no word so far. It's all detailed in the "Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States" which you can look up on line before ordering from overseas. It also helps if the vendor describes it as you wish on your invoice as customs will want that as well. Be sure to get that all worked out before you give them your credit card #.

• Member Contributer

Honda panniers are expensive but given the fit and finish worth the extra $$$. colour coded and streamlined.

they fit a a full face helmet. I was only going to use them as required but given they are so unobtrusive i never take them off.

+1.gif OEM all the way. They are the best looking by far, IMO, with the color match. My L Arai will fit in either side no problem. You can still use the passenger grab rails and if you want to add a top case later (like I'm going to be doing real soon) you can still use the grab handles. I bought mine from www.accessories4bikes.com. They had the best price around. I just priced out the OEM rack to mount the top case, and again they have the best price, even better than David Silver Spares.

Thanks for all the replies! I kept digging and eventually found the Kappa site (http://www.kappamoto.com/home-page/eng/) and am starting to understand how this all works.

I am warming up to the idea of a kappa top case...they are cheap and good quality. Those with experience, does it make the bike 'top heavy' ? My instincts tell me to keep the weight down as low as possible of handling and stability, which is one of the reasons I like the side cases better, aside from looks.

I found a local dealer that seems to have the best prices on luggage: http://www.aviciouscycle.ca/Kappa47-K33N.html ,

and being italian I may be able to procure these if someone in the family travels there in the near future: http://www.ojmoto.it/kappa-k33n-monokey-side-nere-p-3143.html?language=en

Getting back to the top case - with Ken's solo mount, from what I can see I would still need to buy the mounting plate for the Givi or Kappa top box?

Thanks.

One of the reasons I want to go with Givi / Kappa aside from cost, I want to be able to move my luggage from bike to bike when I switch - I love the VFR and will keep it for a couple of years at least, but at some point I want to try out an Enduro, whether as aecond bike or as a replacement. I agree, they do look great though

• Member Contributer

I see you are in Toronto. I am too. If you want to see the OEM set up on my bike, PM me. Keep in mind that if you get the OEM side cases, the Givi top rack will not work.

I've also contacted A Vicious Cycle. They seem like very good people. I'm looking at a SHAD37. SHAD seems quite reasonable and the top rack fits with OEM side cases.

---David

I see you are in Toronto. I am too. If you want to see the OEM set up on my bike, PM me. Keep in mind that if you get the OEM side cases, the Givi top rack will not work.

I've also contacted A Vicious Cycle. They seem like very good people. I'm looking at a SHAD37. SHAD seems quite reasonable and the top rack fits with OEM side cases.

---David

Thanks for the offer - I have seen the OEM cases at various dealers over the years, one of the things that attracted me to the bike in the first place! After much research I decided to go with Ken's Solo Rack and whatever decent top box I can get. Hopefully there are still solo racks available.

Has anyone mounted Kappa or SHAD with the solo rack?

• Member Contributer

---David

Thanks for the offer - I have seen the OEM cases at various dealers over the years, one of the things that attracted me to the bike in the first place! After much research I decided to go with Ken's Solo Rack and whatever decent top box I can get. Hopefully there are still solo racks available.

Has anyone mounted Kappa or SHAD with the solo rack?

You should PM KK directly as he makes this solo racks for the Givi top case mounts. No better person to ask than the man who makes them. :fing02:

Factory hard cases for saddle bags and Moto Fizz tail bag for me. I keep all of my camping gear in the tail bag...it is light and is right on the seat behind me so it doesn't jack up the CG like a top case.

post-22281-0-26786800-1302153651_thumb.j

• Member Contributer

Factory hard cases for saddle bags and Moto Fizz tail bag for me. I keep all of my camping gear in the tail bag...it is light and is right on the seat behind me so it doesn't jack up the CG like a top case.

I have the V46 top case and don't suffer from the CG issues you are referring to. YMMV but if you keep the heavy stuff in the side cases the only issue you suffer from is under heavy wind conditions with the increased profile. Truth be told riding 2 up is harder than a fully loaded top case.

The best features for having the top case is it snaps into place quickly, is secure, doesn't need to be bungied to the bike, won't "walk off" if you take a lunch break, can be locked, and is pretty much weather proof compared to a duffel bag (not that there is anything wrong with soft luggage as I had a complete setup before I bought the hard cases). All I know is I am much happier with my setup now than I ever was with the soft luggage because it's more secure and I don't have to pull over to put a rain cover over everything during inclement weather conditions. But that's just me. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Your not alone Vanion, I have the same as you and I do not see any problems with CG with the V46 in any way. Lockable and walk away with out worrying about you stuff is a nice feeling. I also have a GIVI magnetic tank bag, fast and easy removal. well worth the $ IMHO.

I have the V46 top case and don't suffer from the CG issues you are referring to. YMMV but if you keep the heavy stuff in the side cases the only issue you suffer from is under heavy wind conditions with the increased profile. Truth be told riding 2 up is harder than a fully loaded top case.

The best features for having the top case is it snaps into place quickly, is secure, doesn't need to be bungied to the bike, won't "walk off" if you take a lunch break, can be locked, and is pretty much weather proof compared to a duffel bag (not that there is anything wrong with soft luggage as I had a complete setup before I bought the hard cases). All I know is I am much happier with my setup now than I ever was with the soft luggage because it's more secure and I don't have to pull over to put a rain cover over everything during inclement weather conditions. But that's just me. :fing02:

Your not alone Vanion, I have the same as you and I do not see any problems with CG with the V46 in any way. Lockable and walk away with out worrying about you stuff is a nice feeling. I also have a GIVI magnetic tank bag, fast and easy removal. well worth the $ IMHO.

As far as keeping the heavy stuff in my saddlebags, I just couldn't fit the mount for the top case and the top case in my saddle bags. My MOTO Fizz bag fully loaded is the same weight as an empty top case and mount and it is not as high, nor as far aft as a top case which minimizes the negative impact on the CG of the bike. The math is easy. For my mission, the merits of the MOTO Fizz far outweigh the merits you listed for your V46s..."but that is just me" :fing02:

post-22281-0-65604600-1302192051_thumb.j

Archived