MACNA Seeker Anyone? UPDATE: got one!!

Dutchy

• Member Contributer

Hello there,

looking for a new -leather- jacket I come across this one

9377seekerblack_przod.jpg

4731.jpg

Anyone here own one?

What I like from the specs is that the front panel can be zipped out, leaving a meshed area for hot summer rides and the ability to zip open vents on the cuffs...

• Member Contributer

Mmm - nice looking garment.

I like that it seems long enough in the torso - I get annoyed that a lot of leather jackets are so short that they tend to leave a gap around the middle.

Pretty hot day today here in Brisbane - almost too hot for me to look at a picture of a leather jacket and think about it objectively :mellow:

• Member Contributer

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/51394-textile-vs-leather/

See post #26. If he is still around, he should know...

Thanks,

Unless he crashed, burned, got up and did it again :biggrin: , he should reply to my PM :beer:

Yeah, here I am. Mostly still whole. (Actually, I'm more than whole - have some extra metal and plastic inside me now). I have nearly crashed, died, burst into flames and died all over again, then I replaced my rear Storm with a Micehlin and all was good again.

Yes, I have a Macna jacket (a Summit, IIRC), and have had for a few years now. It looks very similar to the one pictured, except that one seems to have some extra shoulder protection and slight styling changes.

When I bought it, it was a choice between that and a Spidi Gran Turismo to match my pants. Because Auckland weather is very changeable, I was looking for something I could wear that would cover four seasons (sometimes in one day!) The Spidi wasn't quite as comfy, and the Macna had better hot weather cooling, because of the zip-off front/neck panel, which leaves mesh exposed. My last jacket (Teknic) had 8 vent zips, and wasn't as well ventilated as this one. It's been very good, and served its intended purpose. I did have to have some repairs done, as the stitching on the front panel started to unravel. I also have some doubts about its long-term longevity, as the little waterproof zips that connect the liner(s) with the jacket are very fine and not hugely robust. So far, so good.

The jacket has two liners: one waterproof, and a thermal one. To add/remove them is a little puzzling, so there's a cartoon on the inside of the jacket to show you how it's done.

To be honest, I'm not sure if I'd buy another Macna. It's perfect for what I wanted, and has served me very well. It's also very comfortable and keeps the elments (and elephants) at bay, but if those zips fail, the jackets rendered useless. It cost me 1000 UnZud shekeldollars, which was about $100 less than the Spidi. (Speaking of elephants, on one of my many travels, I rode one! The seat was a bit lumpy, and the handlebars and controls didn't fall to hand very readily, but it handled the terrain well).

• Member Contributer

Yeah, here I am. Mostly still whole. (Actually, I'm more than whole - have some extra metal and plastic inside me now). I have nearly crashed, died, burst into flames and died all over again, then I replaced my rear Storm with a Micehlin and all was good again.

Yes, I have a Macna jacket (a Summit, IIRC), and have had for a few years now. It looks very similar to the one pictured, except that one seems to have some extra shoulder protection and slight styling changes.

When I bought it, it was a choice between that and a Spidi Gran Turismo to match my pants. Because Auckland weather is very changeable, I was looking for something I could wear that would cover four seasons (sometimes in one day!) The Spidi wasn't quite as comfy, and the Macna had better hot weather cooling, because of the zip-off front/neck panel, which leaves mesh exposed. My last jacket (Teknic) had 8 vent zips, and wasn't as well ventilated as this one. It's been very good, and served its intended purpose. I did have to have some repairs done, as the stitching on the front panel started to unravel. I also have some doubts about its long-term longevity, as the little waterproof zips that connect the liner(s) with the jacket are very fine and not hugely robust. So far, so good.

The jacket has two liners: one waterproof, and a thermal one. To add/remove them is a little puzzling, so there's a cartoon on the inside of the jacket to show you how it's done.

To be honest, I'm not sure if I'd buy another Macna. It's perfect for what I wanted, and has served me very well. It's also very comfortable and keeps the elments (and elephants) at bay, but if those zips fail, the jackets rendered useless. It cost me 1000 UnZud shekeldollars, which was about $100 less than the Spidi. (Speaking of elephants, on one of my many travels, I rode one! The seat was a bit lumpy, and the handlebars and controls didn't fall to hand very readily, but it handled the terrain well).

Thanks for this Enzed!

The Seeker retails around Eur250 here. In February there will be a large mc fair here and I think I'll buy one there.

Canot comment on elephant riding, but much of the handling issues you describe apply to ships of the desert too.... :biggrin:

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

UPDATE...

This jacket is no longer in MACNA's line-up....

They were themselves not participating the the motorcycle show last weekend. They mentioned a few of their dealers might have their jackets at the show. But as it turned out they only had 1 or 2 -fabric- jackets amongst lots and lot of other brands....

So, my new jacket search continues.....

• Member Contributer

Update 2....

SCORE!!!! :biggrin:

Top marks for TopMoto in Apeldoorn :fing02:

They carry the full range of Macna gear and still had the Seeker in store. And with the model discontinued for 2011, a nice discount to boot.

e2d42736.jpg

"Summer" mode

1170f2c5.jpg

Zips on sleeves

195c6a8a.jpg\

af8510c7.jpg

Reflective striping

7eb9ecb4.jpg

Removeable Hi-viz

22cda908.jpg

16fc8959.jpg

Yeah it makes my ass look big...

330ebb88.jpg

Bought a CE approved backprotector that fits inside the jacket as well. They are not compulsory so mfrs only fit elbow/shoulder CE approved protectors as standard.

Got 25% off so np :biggrin:

• 2 months later...

Here's something Kewl, Dutchy/Leon: I had contacted Macna about getting a replacement waterproof liner for my jacket, or having it repaired. When I told them I was going to be in the Netherlands, they gave me the address of their repairer in Oirschot, near Eindhoven. We made a detour there on the way to Brouwhuis, and found this workshop behind a house, with a very well preserved silver '70s Ducati like the one I'd always lusted after. Despite my poor Dutch and their poor English, I explained the problem, the guy stuck the liner on his seam-sealer machine, added some extra bits of tape, and a couple of minutes later it was fixed, for the not-so-princely sum of 5 Euro. :fing02:

I just reinstalled the liner this afternoon after returning from Italy, and it's all ready to use again.

The removable hi vis thing is interesting.

In the event of a faux pas such as blowing by a roadside cop at warp 9,

you might be able to do a tear off and not be recognizable as the flying banana they're after. :laughing6-hehe:

Not that I would ever exceed the speed limit.

Of the machine. :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

Ian, glad that MACNA managed to finally sort out your complaint :fing02:

And Greg, my hair was dyed to match the grey off the gear..... :laughing6-hehe:

Archived