Stupid Luggage Question

mikeodial

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like they will fit just fine - Twisted Throttle has a photo page of the Trax system.

The nice thing about the EVO racks is you can take them off in a minute and ride the bike without them. I've just ordered a set of the Trax for my KLR and they should be here in about a week or so.

• Member Contributer

Looks like they will fit just fine - Twisted Throttle has a photo page of the Trax system.

The nice thing about the EVO racks is you can take them off in a minute and ride the bike without them. I've just ordered a set of the Trax for my KLR and they should be here in about a week or so.

I was thinking to have some dual purpose hard bags.................work on the VFR and the KLR too.

Did you get the 45s or smaller ones?

I bought the 45 litre bags and the 38 litre top case - I wanted to travel with the kitchen sink. :laughing6-hehe:

That's a great idea to share them between the bikes. The EVO racks would just need a second set of fasteners and you could switch back and forth between bikes.

I already have the OEM hard luggage and top case for the VFR. I really like the looks of the Trax luggage and it has had good reviews for durability and waterproofing - guess I'll find out this spring.

I was thinking to have some dual purpose hard bags.................work on the VFR and the KLR too.

Did you get the 45s or smaller ones?

• Member Contributer

I bought the 45 litre bags and the 38 litre top case - I wanted to travel with the kitchen sink. :laughing6-hehe:

That is a lot of crap................the bags I mean :cheerleader:

I was actually thinking of putting a 38 top on my KLR and use it for the 5th gen too as well.

• 5 months later...
Guest JoeQ

they look like they need to be rotated a few degrees clockwise.

Is this possible to actually do with the mounting brackets or bags themselves? After seeing the review on Twisted Throttle (and just picked up my Gen6 VFR last weekend) I am about to order a set.

Forgot about this thread. I got the 45l sidecases and the 38l top case for my KLR. They are really great. The SW Motech racks are easy to mount and remove. The only drawback is they aren't very securely locked. They are watertight, have a waterproof bag and you can even buy internal bags that are removable (nylon). Pretty good deal for under $1500 CDN.

Here are some pics:

IMG_0281.jpg

IMG_02831.jpg

Guest JoeQ

Sweet dancing Jesus, those are big. I like everything about them, now I really want to figure out a way to get them to angle down a little so the load sits more forward. After seeing yours I find it hard to believe that the ones on the VFR on Twisted Throttle are 45l; yours look significantly wider.

If your asking an opinion? Ok, Those look like shit on a VFR. Buy a vstrom if you want square bags.

I have Givi's G35's and they are just tolerable. Sometimes I wish I had poped for the color matched factory hard bags.

Just an opinion mine you and I hope you get what and like what you get :)

They are about 42" wide. The KLR is skinnier than the VFR so the bike would be very wide with the 43l bags.

Sweet dancing Jesus, those are big. I like everything about them, now I really want to figure out a way to get them to angle down a little so the load sits more forward. After seeing yours I find it hard to believe that the ones on the VFR on Twisted Throttle are 45l; yours look significantly wider.

Guest JoeQ

45L Trax from Twisted Throttle

83b2c707.jpg

61e322b1.jpg

They are big, but when looking at the 37 and 45 next to each other the difference in width vs available storage made me go with the 45. I can say that you can easily fit a bag of groceries in one without having to take things out and reorganize and a bouquet of flowers in the other (needed something after telling the boss how much I spent on luggage).

I was looking at the Givi V35, which look decent, but could barely hold my riding gear. I figured if I was going to go ugly (Givi Monolock) I'd go all the way. Plus the Trax can be easily removed and used a chair or work surface.

Oh, and those Corbin beatle bags; where do they get off charing $1700 for 31L of storage. :wacko:

The only downside so far is that the bike cover won't over fit over that wide rear end so I've been commuting with only one (need to cover the bike when parked in the city to avoid parking tickets).

• 2 weeks later...

loving these trax boxes. Think it will be awesome to carry my photographic and airbrushing kits to jobs. Looking into these right now. Wonder if the SW-Motech connections are in the same place, so you can switch between the Trax and Givi V35 or OEM hardbags.

You can get adapter plates so that may different kinds of luggage can mount on the racks.

They look alright on your VFR, and you're right it's nice to have all the storage space.

loving these trax boxes. Think it will be awesome to carry my photographic and airbrushing kits to jobs. Looking into these right now. Wonder if the SW-Motech connections are in the same place, so you can switch between the Trax and Givi V35 or OEM hardbags.

• 3 weeks later...

83b2c707.jpg

61e322b1.jpg

They are big, but when looking at the 37 and 45 next to each other the difference in width vs available storage made me go with the 45. I can say that you can easily fit a bag of groceries in one without having to take things out and reorganize and a bouquet of flowers in the other (needed something after telling the boss how much I spent on luggage).

I was looking at the Givi V35, which look decent, but could barely hold my riding gear. I figured if I was going to go ugly (Givi Monolock) I'd go all the way. Plus the Trax can be easily removed and used a chair or work surface.

Oh, and those Corbin beatle bags; where do they get off charing $1700 for 31L of storage. :wacko:

The only downside so far is that the bike cover won't over fit over that wide rear end so I've been commuting with only one (need to cover the bike when parked in the city to avoid parking tickets).

How are they for wind management on the highway?

They are fine on the highway. You can feel more wind resistance but nothing to worry about.

83b2c707.jpg

61e322b1.jpg

• Member Contributer

Man I am glad I don't have those bags! My VFR felt heavy enough while parking with the V35's on the side and V46 top case for a 5 day trip. I could only imagine all the extra carp my wife would have expected me to take along. :laughing6-hehe:

They look nice with that silver though. :fing02:

• 2 weeks later...

They are fine on the highway. You can feel more wind resistance but nothing to worry about.

That is correct. I can definitely feel them, but they don't seem to have any real impact. Still getting ~200 miles to a tank, so if there is an effect on mpg, its negligible.

Another useful feature:

5943397589_124095a173.jpg

• Member Contributer

Ooops!!! :laughing6-hehe:

I think you should name those boxes " Radars"

in honour of Radar who once made great crash protectors :biggrin:

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Finally pulled the trigger on the Trax boxes. Went for the 37 liter ones and quick fasteners and locks. (The 45s looked too big and still won't hold my Shoei XL X-12 helmet). Should have them in the next couple of weeks and will put some pics together to see how it all goes. Whitehorse Gear ended up being the supplier. There are new versions of these boxes that have the logo stamped into them (apparently the stick on metal one can comes loose), and there are some changes to the top box seals. There are no pictures of these out on the web yet, but will send some as soon as I have them installed.

UPDATE:

Finally pulled the trigger on the Trax boxes. Went for the 37 liter ones and quick fasteners and locks. (The 45s looked too big and still won't hold my Shoei XL X-12 helmet). Should have them in the next couple of weeks and will put some pics together to see how it all goes. Whitehorse Gear ended up being the supplier. There are new versions of these boxes that have the logo stamped into them (apparently the stick on metal one can comes loose), and there are some changes to the top box seals. There are no pictures of these out on the web yet, but will send some as soon as I have them installed.

This thread has a good comparison of the original Trax design and the new EVOs. Like the poster in that thread, mine have been 100% waterproof.

I 'crash tested' my Trax luggage on my trip. They certainly act as good sliders. A 20 MPH slide caused a tiny dent and a bit of worn plastic on the corners.

I was wondering how the mounts would stand up to a moving impact, glad to hear they performed. Hope you fared as well as the luggage :fing02:

UPDATE:

This thread has a good comparison of the original Trax design and the new EVOs. Like the poster in that thread, mine have been 100% waterproof.

I 'crash tested' my Trax luggage on my trip. They certainly act as good sliders. A 20 MPH slide caused a tiny dent and a bit of worn plastic on the corners.

I was wondering how the mounts would stand up to a moving impact, glad to hear they performed. Hope you fared as well as the luggage :fing02:

Very useful comparison link.

The brackets bent a bit but with a tug and pulling they went back into shape. The case was fine and is still waterproof.

For the cost they are excellent quality bags.

I'm fine from the spill, too. Just a scrape or two - no biggie.

Archived