Best Sport Touring Rubber for 3rd Gen?

Guest StillwaterVFR

Guest StillwaterVFR

Hello All. The Pirelli Diablos are worn down and I'll need new skins fir spring. I might do some Motomarathon (www.Motomarathon.com) work next year and I need a good high-mileage tire. By this, I mean 15k plus for the rear. Any advice from the Wise?

Thanks!

Well, Michelin Pilot Road2s are on my '91 and have been for 20,000km. I had them installed June 22/09 with 75,354km on the bike. Yesterday I parked it with 95,335kms. They have been awesome, really. Great feedback, sure footed and inspire confidence. Slayed the Dragon with them this year. Without question, I would / will buy them again.

Compared to the BT021's previously, well, there is NO comparison. PR2s are SO much better!! Prior to that BT20s, still nowhere near as nice as the PR2s.

Hope that helps.

Well, Michelin Pilot Road2s are on my '91 and have been for 20,000km. I had them installed June 22/09 with 75,354km on the bike. Yesterday I parked it with 95,335kms. They have been awesome, really. Great feedback, sure footed and inspire confidence. Slayed the Dragon with them this year. Without question, I would / will buy them again.

Compared to the BT021's previously, well, there is NO comparison. PR2s are SO much better!! Prior to that BT20s, still nowhere near as nice as the PR2s.

Hope that helps.

This is great information... 12,xxx miles is right in a goal zone I would like for the kind of riding I do. Thanks so much!

• Member Contributer

Hope that helps.

This is great information... 12,xxx miles is right in a goal zone I would like for the kind of riding I do. Thanks so much!

The Road2 is my fav choice

Thanks all, my decision seems clear. I love my VFR and look forward to hi mileage stats, both for tires and for the whole machine. I get tired of a bike at about 30,000 miles, but I want this Gen 3 to be my first hundred-thou miler.

• Member Contributer

whatever you do, stick to the recommended tire sizes for the rim. :fing02:

Moving from BT020 to PR2 was the best thing I've done to my 4th Gen

How do the Pilot Roads and Road 2s compare for mileage?

Michelin claims 10% longer life out of the PR2. I don't have the exact numbers but for me it was a lot more than 10%. Also the PR2 is still a good grippy tire when it is getting close to the wear indicators, not so for the original PR.

I am now on Angel ST's, before that I had Roadsmarts and before that the Michelins (PR &PR2). PR2 is still my favourite, the Angels being a very close second but I am not even halfway on them so no final verdict yet. The Roadsmarts are OK.

• Member Contributer

Thanks. Sounds promising. I am on PRs now and am getting better mileage than the OEM tires. Sounds like the PR2s are a good improvement.

How do the Pilot Roads and Road 2s compare for mileage?

Michelin claims 10% longer life out of the PR2. I don't have the exact numbers but for me it was a lot more than 10%. Also the PR2 is still a good grippy tire when it is getting close to the wear indicators, not so for the original PR.

I am now on Angel ST's, before that I had Roadsmarts and before that the Michelins (PR &PR2). PR2 is still my favourite, the Angels being a very close second but I am not even halfway on them so no final verdict yet. The Roadsmarts are OK.

The consistencies with everyone's experience is very telling. This is a great group to learn from. Incidentally, I can't seem to put the RC36 away yet and am braving the very cold mornings here in MN to keep riding (28 deg F). Any Gen 3 cold weather tips or experiences?

• Member Contributer

Hahahaha! No, Just a piece of flat heavy waxed cardboard from a MRE case. Its held on by a couple pieces of thin elastic cord tied around the oil cooler. I used to live in Anchorage Ak. and rode if the streets were clear. Albuquerque has cold mornings (30-35 degrees) and nice afternoons (70 +), which is why I don't block all of it off. At low temps a fair amount of oil cooling takes place within the lines themselves. I let it warm up 2 to 3 minutes, taking the choke off the whole time to keep the RPMs about 2000.

Hahahaha! No, Just a piece of flat heavy waxed cardboard from a MRE case. Its held on by a couple pieces of thin elastic cord tied around the oil cooler. I used to live in Anchorage Ak. and rode if the streets were clear. Albuquerque has cold mornings (30-35 degrees) and nice afternoons (70 +), which is why I don't block all of it off. At low temps a fair amount of oil cooling takes place within the lines themselves. I let it warm up 2 to 3 minutes, taking the choke off the whole time to keep the RPMs about 2000.

Great- will do... maybe I can get 12 months solid here on 32+ degree days...

• 1 year later...

Hi - its been a while, but I wanted to report I have 11,000 on the PR2 set I bought and will put another 3,000 easily on them before they are dead. Been to the Dragon 2 times and a third time next week.

GOOD ADVICE!

Archived