Remove speed limitation

Dutchgixxer

With the LeoVince Factory-R, K&N filter, and a nicely tuned PCV, I now have 19 more ponies to play with. Went from 138 hp to 157 hp.

I originally thought I had no reason to clip the wire, but while on the track 156 sure came a lot sooner than it used to, and that was at roughly 4800' altitude. I bet she's gonna be a handful at sea level. <Evil Grin>

Thanks for reply So the wire cut works great for you. Good news. Whats the max speed you've seen after the mod? If the acceleration is close to the busa's (especially after 150 or so) I've no reason keeping her! :biggrin:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

So what's the reason of buying the Thurn Motorsport gadget if its so simple like disconnecting a wire? Anyone tested any of these two methods? What's the new speed in the dashboard?

On the DCT, the ECU needs to know the speed so at to choose gears for you. I would think that on the clutch bike, cutting the wire gets rid of the restriction as the ECU cant tell the speed....with the DCT, this will also lock the bike in gear so its not an option.

We are in the rainy season in Lagos and I have been unable to test the Thurn bit of kit.

Soon enough though!!

post-20539-0-49356800-1314710386_thumb.p

I have developed a electronic device. It works for DCT and manual VFR1200's

Its a simple device based on a frequecy comparator and a Ne555 blockwave generator.

Hey Dutch,

Look very interesting, will you be able to make and sell these items..??

Cheers,

Smithy.

• 8 months later...

So is there a real fix yet? Does clipping the red/green wire really cause an error code? Does clipping this wire remove the top end restriction? It seems this thread just died without any real answers. I do live in NV and we make runs to Shoshone and such in the middle of nowhere and occasionally hit top end. I don't like the fact that top speed is limited by electronics. I'd like to see how fast the bike can go with its own limitations.

I wanted to buy the Thurn module, but after more than a year driving this bike, I never hit the speedlimiter once. I crossed the 200 km/hour several times, but most of the time I never drove faster than 220 km/h. My '"record" is 234 km/h GPS reading, this was more than fast enough for me. This bike gives me everything I need.

I can understand why this is sold in Germany, they have the Autobahn - we only have radars and bad roads...

Not to beat a dead horse, but why does one need to ride faster than 156mph on a public road?

So... if I do it in Germany I am another driver on the autobahn, but if I do it in N.America I am a potencial serial killer . What a crock of (N.American) shit !

Not to beat a dead horse, but why does one need to ride faster than 156mph on a public road?

So... if I do it in Germany I am another driver on the autobahn, but if I do it in N.America I am a potencial serial killer . What a crock of (N.American) shit !

Exactly. So is there a cheap fix that doesn't give an error code? Come on people, answer up.

• 1 month later...

The German vmax module is very expensive. I can't believe some company like Bazazz hasn't built their own version yet.

Cut the Vsp wire, you wil get a mill but the bike is topspeed derestricted. If you want to get rid of the Mill read my posting. It was a hell of a job to develop a electronic device. But i succeeded. But for me its not commercial atractive to sell the device. So you have to make it by your self. See post #53 Greetings Dutchgixxer

Ps do not perform this mod on a DCT model. It will prefent the bike to change gears.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I finally sucked it up and ordered the Vmax Module off of Ebay from Honda Wellbrock&Co in Germany for $273.40. I have the VFR1200F. That's a lot of money, but I don't see anyone else making them. I'll let you know once I get it installed what it tops out at. Before you haters start in about you don't need to go over 157 mph, I live in the middle of the Mojave Desert and ride with a group that pretty much rides Busas, ZX14s, K12300S, etc. We do top out occasionally and keep it above 130 much of the time. My last bike was a ZX14. After I got the seat customized on the VFR it is much more comfortable than the 14. I plan on getting the Heli-bars in the future also. I just like to have the option to top my bike out without electronic limitation.

I got the Vmax module on Friday. It's not plug and play. You have to cut a wire and then solder two wires and shrink tube them (shrink tubing not provided). You have to buy an inline fuse (not provided) and the two wires that connect to the battery have no connectors. So I will be making a trip to Radio Shack this week. You'd think at $275 they would provide the items mentioned above. I hate wiring stuff, so this should be an adventure. I'll keep you posted.

I got the Vmax module on Friday. It's not plug and play. You have to cut a wire and then solder two wires and shrink tube them (shrink tubing not provided). You have to buy an inline fuse (not provided) and the two wires that connect to the battery have no connectors. So I will be making a trip to Radio Shack this week. You'd think at $275 they would provide the items mentioned above. I hate wiring stuff, so this should be an adventure. I'll keep you posted.

Same thing with PC5, but at least they provide the necessary items.

It's always nice to have some pictures...

I installed the Vmax Module today. It was not that easy. I had to install an inline 1 amp slow blow fuse as well as battery connectors. The German to English directions were messed up. Good thing I can read some German. I'll list the errors.

8. Cut the Black/Green wire, it should be cut the Pink/Green wire.

11. Now solder the wire to the Pink Yellow/Green wire from the harness. I should be, now solder the Yellow wire to the Pink/Green wire from the harness.

The bike does not display a MIL error. I will test the top speed (from the speedo,not GPS) this weekend. I'll let you know what it tops out at. I hope it all works out.

I also installed a Kaoko throttle lock. Not that easy either. I had to pull the throttle tube to take the insert out so that I didn't break the throttle tube. I'm not sure I like the giant dial. I guess I should have stuck with the Throttlemeister. Just thought I'd try something different.

559238_10150989177699372_1123398751_n.jpg

181131_10150989180759372_1153964700_n.jpg

Well, I confirmed that it works. No electronic speed limitation anymore. Not as fast as I expected though. Conditions: 100 degrees (very hot and humid), about 3000 ft. elevation, I weigh around 210 (with gear probably around 230), I'm six ft. tall, I had a small tank bag on, stock air filter, stock everything except for the Z-bomb, Vmax-modul and Jardine slip-on. I was riding slightly up hill (there are very few straight roads with no elevation change around here), I tucked in pretty well, but my helmet did stick up a little above the wind screen, the bike is fairly tall and starts to catch a lot of wind. Long story short, I only got to 165 mph. It couldn't overcome the wind drag to hit red line. It stopped around 9750 rpm. Most tachometers allow a little more than red line before the rev limiter kicks in, but I've never tested this one in a lower gear. Maybe if I got a Power Commander, lost weight, rode on a cooler day I could hit 170+, but that is about it with the gearing and bike profile. Was it worth it? Yeah, I think so. I don't like electronic limitations. The government regulates everything.

Is that on tacho or on GPS?

That was on my speedo,not GPS. I've never checked my speedo against GPS. If I were closer to sea level, I'm sure it would go faster. Hot weather zaps some power also. Maybe I got a lemon, who knows? I do love the torque of the bike though. Believe me, we do some high speed desert runs out here. It's not like living on the east coast where there is a town every five miles.

• Member Contributer

Hi Rodman, not suggesting any thing is bad, just curious. Having ridden the regular vfr12, the dct and the x tourer and only confirm it is a great engine!

Archived