O.K. Let's see what the reaction is from an owner's club....(High Mods inside)

Guest shaneliberty

Guest shaneliberty
Good looking bike. Looks nice without the cooling system and wiring. Too bad we can't run 'em like that. The photo is very dark but I would like to see what headlight you plan to use.

The bike is being built as a sportsbike/streetfighter, in SF guise it will run Renthal bars and a modified MV F4 headlight . With the Epro billet clip-ons in that pic, it will have a custom full fairing (combination of CBR600F4 and CBR1100XX - see pic in the 4th Gen picture thread) and the headlight for that is a CBR600F4 shell with the reflector replaced by dual projectors with HID conversion.

Since you can't tell if someone is joking or not half the time, I have to take everything at face value. That was a strange post he made.

Well, it's probably fair to say that most of his posts are a little different to the norm, but I find the best course of action when I don't know exactly what point someone is trying to make is to either politely seek clarification, or just keep my mouth shut... saves a lot of hassle, and wasted time.

I have some bits of plastic off a CBR1000RR that are perfect to tidy up the radiator, will send a pic to show you what I have in mind. I'm also running an EWP electric waterpump so my plumbing is entirely different to stock and I can hide the hoses or reroute them to where they are less visible, and my wiring harness is modded and rerouted too.

Yeppers, I am learning the value of just not typing a response to strange posts. Some are just trolling post to start arguments in other forums anyway. lol. He did have a descriptive post, though. Wish I could tell if it was a compliment or insult! lol

The headlight sounds great. I really want to run the KTM 690 Duke headlight,

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/pulsater/xbhp/ktm/ktm690duke.jpg

but I am not willing to drop about a grand to order all the pieces OEM from the motor company. Unless I find a wrecked one to fix up.... may not happen. I can't wait to see how your Agusta setup works out. Sounds rad. I am happy to hear you are not going the V-Rod route. That seems to be the norm right now unless you buy the LSL unit. That thing is becoming as common as the Acerbis fairing on a stunt bike. There is even a company on Ebay selling the thing half price now.

Radiator shrouds are a cool idea. I have thought about it from time to time. Mainly I just want an unbent radiator that I will delete the forward facing overflow tap, drill a new rear facing unit, and run the hose alongside the bike proper. I have that XB12R Oil cooler I want to side mount on the left but I have to find someone who can make custom oil lines to help me with the plumbing.

Any great ideas on a proper oil cooler setup that is out of the way but still gets great air flow? This is my current idea:

4554-Buell-Ulysses-intake.jpg

Edited by shaneliberty

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest shaneliberty

UPDATE:

Hey guys, been riding this bike to and from work so I haven't updated in awhile. Today I went to Harley Davidson and ordered a brand new Buell 1125CR headlight to change the front headlight setup. Gonna go with a headlight with an "Eyebrow down" rake and hope it looks good.

today I finally painted the front fender to remove the silver that didn't match anything with the bike. This is todays shots. Tomorrow I will pull the front wheel finally and paint it to match the rear wheel.

IMG_2713.jpg

IMG_2714.jpg

• Member Contributer

hhhhmmm interested to see how that looks on your VFR

did u get the duperbike version?

2010-Buell-1125R-Superbike-Edition-Front-450x386.jpg

or this one?

146_0901_05_z+2009_buell_1125CR+headlight_and_flyscreen.jpg

• Member Contributer

... for the gap from the tank to the rear i now have Ducati 916 air box covers in carbon.. saves a lot of glassing up and with a little simple trimming they will look spot on!

Nice bike and great ideas! I am powder coating the frame once I am finished and I didn't see any point in going with higher grade material for the tiny patch work needed to fit the subframe.

Shane - have I missed your plans for the tank and that gap btwx the tank to the rear?

Seems that every time I look at your bike my eye gets diverted to that gap and it looks 'unfinished' - IMHO.

Are you gunna keep the ding in the tank as some kinda 'badge of honour' or reference to it's past before the restoration? Again, I keep seeing it and wonder why you've done so much to the rest of the bike but are leaving the tank largely untouched?

Just interested - that's all.

Guest shaneliberty

... for the gap from the tank to the rear i now have Ducati 916 air box covers in carbon.. saves a lot of glassing up and with a little simple trimming they will look spot on!

Nice bike and great ideas! I am powder coating the frame once I am finished and I didn't see any point in going with higher grade material for the tiny patch work needed to fit the subframe.

Shane - have I missed your plans for the tank and that gap btwx the tank to the rear?

Seems that every time I look at your bike my eye gets diverted to that gap and it looks 'unfinished' - IMHO.

Are you gunna keep the ding in the tank as some kinda 'badge of honour' or reference to it's past before the restoration? Again, I keep seeing it and wonder why you've done so much to the rest of the bike but are leaving the tank largely untouched?

Just interested - that's all.

Yes sir, I planned to fiberglass a panel that covered it as well as the section of the frame that's rough cast just above the extruded twin spar. I had a member on this forum offer me Ducati Carbon Fiber panels from a build of his but he never got back to me once I sent him my address. I was pretty sad about that. It sounded like a great deal.

I do plan to make panels. I have been swamped with 2 track bike builds, 1 of which I have decided to sell because I bought an SV650 track bike, and I have been waiting endlessly for the swingarm mod from Racer's Machine for the '94 SSSA I have for the 1992 FZR600 build I am doing. The VFR gets me to and from work (Thank you Honda) and I have to be cautious about what I do and when. It is the reason why the paint wasn't done till this weekend. I do have my F-250 Superduty Diesel to use for work, but that's about $90 a week if I use it. Stupid, really.

As for the comments about the headlight. I can see your guys point. I understand everyone likes to finish out a headlight setup in their own view. There are major deciding factors in my choice.

#1.) I couldn't justify spending $600-900 for a new OEM KTM 690 Duke headlight (my First choice from day 1)

KTM_690_Duke_stpz.jpg

#2.) Friends suggestions such as the Benelli TNT Cafe Racer where simply too crazy pricey and very tough to find parts for (if I ever crash it. Which I am sure I Will)

benelli-tnt-1130-large.jpg

#3.) GSXR 1000 headlights have become cookie cutter for the streetfighter scene. They are ranked up there with the Acerbis fairing, the LSL headlight which is just a knock off of the Yamaha MT-03, and the basic round headlights. I did this 5-3/4" because I found it in Carbon Fiber and figure at least that was a little uncommon. I decided recently that it doesn't flow with the bike so I will be changing it.

#4.) The buell 1125cr is a cool bike that was put to bed before it's time. The U.S. hates streetfighters but I think America built a pretty cool streetfighter style production bike in the CR. Even though they claim it as a "cafe Racer" it screams urban 'fighter. I think it's a nice nod to the style and the steep angle that the flyscreen sits at and the eyebrow look to the headlight all without having to make the beam of light star at the ground, makes a cool style that will fit this bike's natural "rake" thanks to my insistence on keeping the tail kicked up unnaturally high.

Clearly the Shrouds hide the side profile, but I am thinking this is the angle I want for the side profile of my bike with a headlight that better fits the weird style of the machine.

buell-1125cr.jpg

Oh, and I painted the bike's front wheel today.

IMG_2731.jpg

IMG_2720.jpg

IMG_2721.jpg

Guest shaneliberty

P.S. There was an inherent problem with the bike's trail with the GSXR front end thanks to it's triple tree having a weird offset that works better with a neck that's steep. I thought for sure i was fucked but i found that adding 30mm (Yeah I know that's nuts) to the bike's final fork height off the triple tree actually brought steering back to the front end. Now, keep in mind I currently don't have rear ride height adjustment. once i have that option, I will most likely adjust my front end and bring things back to a more reasonable setup once I can lift the rear. I checked my clearance before i made my adjustments on the front currently. I had a ground clearance to the header of 6-1/2" unloaded ground to outside diameter with the forks slid up 10mm already. I figured for 4" of suspension travel before the bump stops hit and I dropped that additional 20mm. I only did that crazy change because the bike was steering like a semi-truck in the canyons. The steering on the bike now is light and the front end feel is stable without being twitchy.

I don't recommend this front end to a hardcore VFR guy. It's clearly not a good setup if you love to ride track or you love to drag hard parts in the canyon. It will only create setup issues. You could make it work but it will be at the cost of maybe crunching your bellypan over a speed bump.

P.S. There was an inherent problem with the bike's trail with the GSXR front end thanks to it's triple tree having a weird offset that works better with a neck that's steep. I thought for sure i was fucked but i found that adding 30mm (Yeah I know that's nuts) to the bike's final fork height off the triple tree actually brought steering back to the front end. Now, keep in mind I currently don't have rear ride height adjustment. once i have that option, I will most likely adjust my front end and bring things back to a more reasonable setup once I can lift the rear. I checked my clearance before i made my adjustments on the front currently. I had a ground clearance to the header of 6-1/2" unloaded ground to outside diameter with the forks slid up 10mm already. I figured for 4" of suspension travel before the bump stops hit and I dropped that additional 20mm. I only did that crazy change because the bike was steering like a semi-truck in the canyons. The steering on the bike now is light and the front end feel is stable without being twitchy.

I don't recommend this front end to a hardcore VFR guy. It's clearly not a good setup if you love to ride track or you love to drag hard parts in the canyon. It will only create setup issues. You could make it work but it will be at the cost of maybe crunching your bellypan over a speed bump.

I highly recommend you hang your front end, unscrew your fork caps, and then push your front wheel up. Looks like you're going to smash your fender into your radiator and your tire into the cylinder head under hard braking.

Didn't I already explain to you how to flip the eccentric for more rear ride height on the other site? And how to shim the shock? And to make sure to check that the spring doesn't rub the swingarm after you do that?

Wow, this bike really upsets you, huh Seb?

I have had the forks slid up at this level for over a week and have ridden it daily. I secured the bike in my truck and with canyon dancers I ratcheted the front end down to it's bottoming point after I made the change. The fender clears everything including the radiator. Having it look like a hazard works for the bike. The GSXR forks are longer man. It's compromise. It's not as dangerous as you think it is. The bike steered like a truck with them flushed out. As for the eccentric, it's flipped. The axle is at it's lowest point in the swingarm.

Not sure why it's profound someone put a GSXR front end on an FZ1. Isn't this a VFR forum? You mean to tell me someone put GSXR forks on a different sportbike?!?!?! :ohmy:

The paintjob was the only change this weekend. As for the front end. Why was this a big deal to you? It's o.k. man, you don't have to ride it.

You're grasping at straws man. Who said anything about gsxr forks on an FZ1? The FZ1 pic was for the headlight. Maybe try reading the whole post next time before replying?

I was simply pointing out that you were looking at a potential faceplant with the fork height change.

Guest shaneliberty

Wow, this bike really upsets you, huh Seb?

I have had the forks slid up at this level for over a week and have ridden it daily. I secured the bike in my truck and with canyon dancers I ratcheted the front end down to it's bottoming point after I made the change. The fender clears everything including the radiator. Having it look like a hazard works for the bike. The GSXR forks are longer man. It's compromise. It's not as dangerous as you think it is. The bike steered like a truck with them flushed out. As for the eccentric, it's flipped. The axle is at it's lowest point in the swingarm.

Not sure why it's profound someone put a GSXR front end on an FZ1. Isn't this a VFR forum? You mean to tell me someone put GSXR forks on a different sportbike?!?!?! :ohmy:

The paintjob was the only change this weekend. As for the front end. Why was this a big deal to you? It's o.k. man, you don't have to ride it.

You're grasping at straws man. Who said anything about gsxr forks on an FZ1? The FZ1 pic was for the headlight. Maybe try reading the whole post next time before replying?

I was simply pointing out that you were looking at a potential faceplant with the fork height change.

VFR Discussion members: SEB and I are having Dual conversations between forums. Sorry for the added posting.

I respect SEBspeeds opinion. I also realize I don't want to make this a bitch forum. I realize my build has issues. I am trying to address them as much as possible. The fender clears. The brake line is close to radiator but it clears. The radiator is far enough above and slightly behind the cylinder head that it clears. The oil cooler line is temporary till I find someone to help me make oil lines for the side mount cooler I have.

If anyone knows of a custom oil line guy in San Diego are please let me know. I need someone to make lines that go from the Honda flange style fitting to the thread on style for a Buell XB12R oil cooler.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest shaneliberty

Thanks for the heads up.

So I haven't made too much progress. I crashed out at Chuckwalla after my EX race bike's motor popped and hose my tires down with oil. I have since replaced the motor and sold off the bike. I picked up an '07 SV650S, began it's race prep, and had to buy a new Suit because my old GP suit was too hammered from too many crashes.

The Forks for the SV are at Trackoholics getting Racetech internals. I am not doing a GSXR swap so that I can run the bike in a Supersport/Superstock class. So, while the forks are at the shop I took the cheap-o bodywork I had to buy till I an afford Catalyst Reactions stuff. Kept the paint simple this time since I am not keeping this kit for long.

I heated up my garage and was painting the red after grey primer, and something wasn't right. Either too much humidity or just not enough time between coats cause I went to peel back the pinstripe to see if there was bleed. The paint peeled up like a second skin and started to "melt". I knew I screwed up bad and didn't want to do it over again, so I just went with it. I messed up one side of the tail piece with some Lacquer thinner and added a decal on the front with an extra blast from the Safety Red Rustoleum near the decal. I still have to smooth out and paint the tank but thought I would throw a couple photos up so people see I am still working on projects, just have 4 in the works.

If you look to the left of the photo you can see a successful Red Paintjob done by the same guy, me, that impressively screwed this one up.

IMG_2835.jpg

IMG_2834-1.jpg

IMG_2832.jpg

Edited by shaneliberty

• 2 weeks later...
Guest shaneliberty

UPDATE:

So the headlight was there at the dealership. Moved to a different section of the back cause the top shelf was full of parts.

So I got the fly screen and headlight together and used some Zip Ties to mock up the new do.

And now.......

IMG_2866.jpg

IMG_2860.jpg

IMG_2862.jpg

IMG_2859.jpg

Not sure if you can see in this shot, but the Fender cut out contour matches the lens profile exactly. IMG_2867.jpg

So already I have seen I had to flip my clip-ons from under the triple cover to on top. No biggie since I dropped the forks so low there is the exact amount of meat I need to clamp to. I will try to keep the new headlight this low but have to check fender clearance, obviously. This is not set in stone. I think the biggest issue with this headlight visually is just the side panels that help cover the wiring and cables. I am going to make use of that dead space to mount signals. I have to see what I can come up with but it's prime real-estate for legal front signals.

Boss has a Vortex Triple Cover at the shop on a wrecked bike that may fit so the ugly shaved one on top may be gone soon. Will have to possibly enlist a friends help figuring out some clever mounts like the one we used for the tag bracket and old headlight. Either way. This is progress in my eyes. I like the stance. I am keeping this light.

Sorry for my delay. This was the project that had my full attention recently. Got it finished just in time for next Friday. Now has Michelin Power Ones and had Trakoholics dial in the new suspension.

IMG_2842-1.jpg

Edited by shaneliberty

Not sure if you can see in this shot, but the Fender cut out contour matches the lens profile exactly.

:fing02: That is a nice bonus. The headlight looks great, much better than the previous one.

Yeah, I'm surprised - I expected to dislike it, but it works really well. And would look even better in the metal, as they always do. Just needs a bit of red to tie it into the rest of the scheme :fing02:

You are certainly pulling some disparate elements together to build a cohesive whole, nice work!

Guest shaneliberty

if you guys look in one of the shots you can see I have a 2010 Z1000 in the garage for styling cues. I am thinking of making some panels that cover parts for the forks around the headlight to make it blend in a little more. I can either mount LED signals in the paneling or in the sides of the headlight. Gonna ponder that one for a bit.

Guest shaneliberty

UPDATE:

Alrighty, time for some low tech upgrades. I am in a week between trackdays and I wanted to fix something I have been meaning to fuck with for awhile.

The 'Fighter style of raking the tail means the seat kicks up. This allows your balls to not get crushed when you lean forward, but it means you have to grip the tank like a mother fucker to keep sed boys from slamming into the cold hard steel of the fuel cell. Most of us will save up for the good 'ol Stomp Grips, but they cost around $50 even for the universal pads. Well, there is an alternative.

This has been posted many places before and that's were I found the reference, but if you didn't see it on the net.... Harbor Freight offers a WONDERFUL "Stomp Grip". lol

$3.99 a pad:

IMG_2876.jpg

IMG_2875.jpg

The Glue is crap so you pick up a little upholstery glue for between $6.99 and $9.49:

IMG_2877.jpg

Cut the pad in half to have 2 even pieces to work with, then mark the corners or curves and cut it:

IMG_2878.jpg

IMG_2879.jpg

Done and Done. Varying the amount of spray glue helps dial in the level of tacky. I used the same glue long ago when I skinned a tank for stunting. Stuff holds. even if you manage to make it fail... you can re-apply the glue. Win/Win

Guest shaneliberty

Oh, don't think I posted about it but I bypassed the tiny oil cooler on the bike. Talked with a few shops in San Diego and came to the idea that the tiny cooler was helping the bike when it was dipped in fairings and being used for long distance rides. So I had the thing bypassed.

Here is the quick pic of the change.

IMG_2880.jpg

Oh, and I went to a keyless gas cap since I figured, "what's the point?" after the ignition was gone.

Quick shot of the Cap:

IMG_2873.jpg

This guy sells Honda Gas Caps (As well as many others) for $30 a Cap. Damn good deal and he is in the U.S. so the wait is only a few days.

http://stores.ebay.com/gas-cap-dude?_trksid=p4340.l2563

• Member Contributer

Is it me or does the headlight look like it's pointed WAY too far down to be any good at night? The bike looks good. :fing02: