Roadcrafter One Piece...who's got 'em?

spaceman

• Member Contributer

Seriously thinking of getting one but before I do, a few questions:

1. During my brief research I have read that one can get pretty hot in one. I live in Maine, so heat isn't a huge concern, but it does get pretty warm here at times in the summer.

2. I don't do any extensive touring, 1-2 day max.......would this be overkill?

Mainly thinking about this for limited commuting as well as I would like to simplify. Leather is out of the question as I want bright colors, and no, don't want to deal with a hi-vis vest. Just looking for some honest input from the experts..........thanks!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The secret to dealing with heat in a 'Stitch is to keep moving. If the majority of your riding is stop-n-go city riding in heat then the Roadcrafter is probably not for you. If however you want to ride in all weather then the Roadcrafter is a great choice.

With proper care and maintenance it is the grab-n-go solution to what to wear for your ride.... don't even bother to check the weather. I wear mine daily from sub-zero °F commutes to >100°F riding. I say with proper care and maintenance... I had never had any problems with mine until a very wet Arkansas in April trip and quickly discovered I needed to re-seal the seams. (Yearly task ~ $30 in supplies)

If you are serious about riding while ignoring whatever mother nature throws at you then the Roadcrafter is a great option. I love the fact that If I want to ride I just throw on the Aerostitch go to the garage open the door and see what Mother Nature has in store for me that day.

I also like that I choose my clothing based on my destination.... I don't have to arrive dressed like a biker... I have worn suits underneath (Jacket in the trunk) for funerals. Swimsuits underneath for an afternoon at the pool. Etc... Just throw the shoes you will need in the trunk and change out of boots on arrival. People will say..."I thought you were going to ride the motorcycle?".... "I did!"

3846238181_6bafd34a6f.jpg

• Member Contributer

Unless you know it's not going to rain during a day or multi-day trip, I consider the Roadcrafter a must. The best thing I like about it is that the suit breathes. When it's hot, it lets your sweat evaporate. When it's raining, it keeps you dry and lets humidity escape, unlike raingear that keeps the humidity in.

It's easy to put on, take off, store stuff in it. Layer up and it's perfect in the cold, strip down to shorts or hiking pants and a t-shirt and your cool in the summer. It can get hot, you will sweat, but not more than any other gear I've used besides mesh. I wear a wicking type of t-shirt and hiking pants under, and helps keep me dry then the heat is on. The one-piece does have a tendancy to leak around the groin. Make sure you waterproof the zipper good (they have instructions on how to do that) Most of the time now I wear leathers, but I don't take many trips now.

Plus they have great customer service at Aerostitch...

IMHO, it is WELL worth the money. Best piece of gear I've ever worn. It's kind of like the VFR, great all-around-er. Not the coolest, not the warmest, not the best looking (actually, quite ugly really..), but it does everything great. Very comfortable after broken in (few hundred miles).

This is me in my yellow one-piece arriving at my partents place after a ~8500 or so mile trip around the country. I got kind of tired of the yellow. I mean, it's f-ing yellow. The red tends to fade. But I guess I didn't get it for fashion...

IMG_0072-1.jpg

I had one and ended up getting rid of it. It was nice, but just too hot for Georgia. When you have 50-60 days over 90F a year and multiple days over 100, it just gets too hot. I bought it for commuting so I could wear dockers to work without having to change once I got there. Worked good for that, just was too hot for me.

About 1.5 years ago I went to the Motoport (Cycleport) Kevlar mesh suit. It has served me very well. I got the thermal and rain liners, so it works in a wide range of climates. You do have to plan a little and take the rain liners with you though if you want to be sure to stay dry. Same thing as the Aerostich though. I wear dockers under it, shorts, t-shirt, heated vest, or whatever I need or want depending on the weather and where I am going.

• Member Contributer

+1 Excellent garment, well made & will last for many years.

I crashed in a Roadcrafter at 60mph in '94 and walked away. Totaled a CBR1000 & a Chevy Berreta. It was a terrible crash, the guy turned left in front of me while using his cellphone. Since then I wear a Roadcrafter & Arai helmet whenever I ride.

Yes, it does get hot above 85 or so but a cup of ice in each pocket will keep you surprisingly cool in hot weather. I have even slept in mine on a picnic table at an Iron Butt motel. Good equipment pays for itself over time if you use it.

Go to sport touring rally and check out their equipment before you purchase. I believe it would be worth your effort. HTH & good luck.

• Member Contributer

Seriously thinking of getting one but before I do, a few questions:

1. During my brief research I have read that one can get pretty hot in one. I live in Maine, so heat isn't a huge concern, but it does get pretty warm here at times in the summer.

2. I don't do any extensive touring, 1-2 day max.......would this be overkill?

Mainly thinking about this for limited commuting as well as I would like to simplify. Leather is out of the question as I want bright colors, and no, don't want to deal with a hi-vis vest. Just looking for some honest input from the experts..........thanks!

I have had 2 of these suits. My yellow one helped me survive a crash at about 90 Kph on a BRP Spyder last year. No damage to the suit and I only had 1 broken rib and a good hemotoma(???). I live in New Brunswick, Canada so our climates are similar. I find the once the temperature gets above 25 C (~85 F) it start to get warm but with the rear flap, the underarm zippers and even the hip zippers open, the flow is pretty good but as said you need to keep moving. Also as stated, I wear thin pants and usually a t-shirt.

I use mine all the time even if I am just out for the day. Easy to slip into and out off is a good convience. I now have a newer blue model. I use a rainsuit with mine if there is constant rain. I have driven in cold rain (5 C or ~42 F) with rain booties over my bike boots and I have always been comfortable with a heated vest of course. I just bought my blue one this past winter for ~ $430 on eBay.

Stan

• Member Contributer

Mines a 2 piece 'Stich but most of the comments apply. I commuted home today in it in 95 deg weather, all stop and go surface streets. It flows nicely with all the vents open and isn't bad enough that I'd consider not wearing it. 15 seconds to take it off and 20 to put it on. If it goes much above 100 I may take the pants off and ride with just the jacket. The only thing I don't like after 8 years with this suit is the arm liners when wearing short sleeves if it's really hot. There's no air flow and it gets a little sticky. For long trips I'll wear a long sleeved coolmax or poly shirt. Mine's never leaked on me in any rain, I will touch it up with some scotchguard or similar every 2-3 years.

If you're really concerned about heat the Motoport suit would be a nice alternative with the various rain and insulating liners. I'd definitely like to have one myself for those 100+ days.

Aerostich's customer service is top notch, some of the best I've found and exactly what you'd expect for the price of their suits. Like I said, mines 8 years old and just barely showing some wear, I'd expect to get another 10 years out of it.

• Member Contributer

Thumbs up on the Roadcrafter one piece! Great for fall winter & spring here in south. It sux & is a no-go in summer for me, unless in tee short & shorts for short hops.

gallery_6467_1043_35679.jpg

03-24-06 Escambia Co FL 013.jpg

Love mine...

Well worth the money to tour or commute in. I have done both without issue. I have used it on my VFR for multi week tours, on an R6 and RC51 for day rides and sport riding.

A couple things I have learned in 5 years:

For sport bikes and VFR types It is well worth the extra for "forward rotated" sleeves and the slightly longer legs. (I am sure that you know: If you go to the Aerostich store in Duluth or see them at a show they will custom measure you on your bike. In Duluth they will give you a 10% discount as well)

Tone of pockets, so remember where you put your keys and ear plugs

Zippers work well and are easy to use gloved up. Excellent ventilation while moving but it will get a little stifling in stop and go traffic. While touring through montana I wore shorts and a wetted t-shirt under the suit and never had a problem.

If you do get one you will not regret it

• Member Contributer

If you have relatively little hair on your arms and legs, the lining sticks to your skin. If it's raining or hot, this can get pretty unpleasant. I suspect the folks who say they wear them over shorts and t-shirts are a bit more furry than I am. I always wore long sleeve t-shirts and light cotton pants under mine.

A 'stich that fits womanly hips will have a gigantic neck, which rain runs down the back of. And they leak at the crotch. But they dry really fast once the rain stops, so the leaking is mostly only a problem when it's cold out. I sometimes put a rainsuit over mine in the cold.

Even with all the vents closed, they're drafty. A thin bicycling windbreaker over my Gerbing jacket and under the 'stich, is better than a fleece, without bulking me up nearly as much.

They are the easiest full gear to live with - fast to put on, fast to take off, you don't have to find a private place to change your clothes. And I crashed mine on the freeway and got up uninjured, not even bruised, from an accident that totaled my bike.

Get the sport ellipse on the back, and the forward rotated sleeves, if you want to wear it on a VFR.

Oh, and don't get their back protector. If you want a back protector get a separate one that you buckle onto your body, or figure out some other way to attach it besides what they provide. The back protectors don't fit precisely enough into the suits to match the velcro perfectly, and where they aren't quite right, the velcro tabs on the back protector tear up the lining, and the lining is what's supposed to be water proof. It can't keep water out, if it has big shredded holes in it.

• Member Contributer

For sport bikes and VFR types It is well worth the extra for "forward rotated" sleeves and the slightly longer legs. (I am sure that you know: If you go to the Aerostich store in Duluth or see them at a show they will custom measure you on your bike. In Duluth they will give you a 10% discount as well)

If you do get one you will not regret it

I had them send me a standard suit for my size, I sat on the bike and made notations about 2" longer above the knee, 1" longer below the knee, sleeve length ok, etc. Sent the standard suit back and a custom suit was built to my specs. Extra cost was just shipping for the standard suit iirc but well worth it.

And yeah, I don't think you'll regret it. :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

If you have relatively little hair on your arms and legs, the lining sticks to your skin. If it's raining or hot, this can get pretty unpleasant. I suspect the folks who say they wear them over shorts and t-shirts are a bit more furry than I am. I always wore long sleeve t-shirts and light cotton pants under mine.

And they leak at the crotch.

Even with all the vents closed, they're drafty. A thin bicycling windbreaker over my Gerbing jacket and under the 'stich, is better than a fleece, without bulking me up nearly as much.

Oh, and don't get their back protector. If you want a back protector get a separate one that you buckle onto your body, or figure out some other way to attach it besides what they provide. The back protectors don't fit precisely enough into the suits to match the velcro perfectly, and where they aren't quite right, the velcro tabs on the back protector tear up the lining, and the lining is what's supposed to be water proof. It can't keep water out, if it has big shredded holes in it.

I've got pretty hairy arms and still find the sleeves sticky in hot weather, why I wear a long sleeved shirt.

I've heard the crotch leak criticism of the one piece but haven't heard it about the two piece and never found it a problem on mine.

Mine hasn't seemed drafty with the vents closed. I usually run with the arm vents open year round unless it's under 40deg or so.

I've had the 'stich back protector in mine for 8 years and it hasn't been a problem. I switch between just jacket and full suit often, I haven't noticed a tear problem with the liner. The back protector just velcros in place nicely. Maybe a difference between the 1 and 2 piece.

• Member Contributer

Single best purchase I've made since I bought the VFR. Several guys I started riding with have roadcrafters and seeing them in action pretty well convinced me. Well, actually HS was the one that finally made up my mind. When I first rode with him I didn't realize how good he was donning and doffing that thing till we were gearing up after a lunch stop. With his stich' laying on the ground next to his bike I figured he'd be one of the last ones to get ready. Wrong! I'm usually pretty quick but I looked down to put my gloves on and when I looked back up HS was sitting there fully suited-up waiting on everybody else. :ohmy:

I agree with the other comments about the ellipse and rotated sleeves and yes Eli is right about the lining sticking to your skin when you sweat. The stich is not the most perfect thing but for convenience it's hard to beat. I've ridden mine numerous times in 100+ temps and it was acceptable when moving but no way would I use it in stop and go commuter traffic. I cut a hole in the lining to run my earphone cord into the front pocket and added some velcro to keep the collar from flapping in the wind and also added a back protector from Bohn. The dreaded crotch leak is remedied with some Nikwax Tekwash and Nikwax spray for the zippers.

Come over to the darkside.....we have cookies.

CO09035.jpg

• Member Contributer

I don't have a Roadcrafter but I have a two piece Darien...live in Florida and althouh it does get hot in the summer I wear it everytime I get on the bike...no matter what the weather is like. I wouldn't have it any other way and wouldn't trade it for any other suit.

• Member Contributer

I've had my 2 piece for about 6 years. It's been coast to coast in all kinds of WX, rain, snow, hail...no ice but temps around 0F. A light weight workout type jacket underneath blocks all the wind in cold temps. In hot, hot WX, 100F+ I use the Evapodana, ice in the pockets, and toss the camel bak under the suit and have no problem staying cool as long as I am moving. I have opened the jacket front and leg zippers once while in stop and park traffic in the DC area. Suit has been great, survived two minor crashes and is wore 7 days a week.

I've had some issues with one zipper pull coming off but a zipper repair kit fixed that problem. The other issue is the velcro was starting to wear out, the neck and upper velcro just wouldn't hold any longer...can't expect velcro to last forever. Anyhow, a trip to the local luggage repair shop and $20 later the velcro is better than new...put wider velcro strips on the suit.

I plan on getting a new suit this year or next. For some reason the suit has shrank over the past 6 years or so. Ironically, I have a closet full of jeans that shrank as well...and skivies too...there must be some consperacy here where some evil force is minaturizing the waistline of all my clothes...those bast$%$#s!!

The suit is worth every penny is you plan on wearing it daily.

I've wanted one of these for a while but can't afford the high price. I still haven't even made it to the store, I live in MN. I did see on the sport touring forum a pretty in depth discussion of a newer company and a much cheaper option, not sure how it compares though... Teiz Motorsports. There's a pretty in depth thread at the Sport Touring Forum and also at the Adventure Rider forum.

• Member Contributer

I've wanted one of these for a while but can't afford the high price. I still haven't even made it to the store, I live in MN. I did see on the sport touring forum a pretty in depth discussion of a newer company and a much cheaper option, not sure how it compares though... Teiz Motorsports. There's a pretty in depth thread at the Sport Touring Forum and also at the Adventure Rider forum.

The Teiz stuff looks really tempting, the reviews I've read have been really positive, but I wonder just how well they really fit. It doesn't look like they do custom sizing and I'm really tired of buying gear that "sorta fits". That's one thing the Aerostitch stuff offers, the custom sizing options that do add a little cost but should make it so the thing really fits properly.

What surprises me is that Aerostich doesn't do, say, mesh covered areas on their suits and such that can be covered by solid panels, ways to block the airflow when it's colder but allow the rider to open them up to some breeze when it gets hot. It doesn't take much moving air to stop liners from sticking but if they're closed off it can be really annoying.

What surprises me is that Aerostich doesn't do, say, mesh covered areas on their suits and such that can be covered by solid panels, ways to block the airflow when it's colder but allow the rider to open them up to some breeze when it gets hot. It doesn't take much moving air to stop liners from sticking but if they're closed off it can be really annoying.

Andy Goldfine seems to be "particular", to say the least about the AeroStitch brand. In the great scheme of things that is to the benefit of the consumer. He absolutely refuses to put a product on the market that doesn't meet his personal level of expectations. His products may not meet your personal desires... but they meet his.... Possibly not the best marketing scheme but it seems to be the way he operates.

20+ years ago when the original Stitch was introduced, abrasion protection was the primary mission followed very closely by weather protection. He was quoted at the time as saying that was why some of the pockets were placed where they were.... for the extra layer of fabric. I suspect you will never see him compromise the abrasion resistance or weather resistance with more functional (read more exposed) vents.

Taking over 20 years to bring a leather product to the market is an example of his "pickiness". He has very unique expectations of his products and I think the Transit suit is proof of this.

I am pretty surprised by some of the comments of "breezy". I have ridden in sub-zero temps many times and can guarantee I had no air infiltration. I know this because on a couple of occassions I had a leaky helmet visor seal and it quickly gave me stabbing pain.

• Member Contributer

To Lee: Oh I agree that the products sold by 'Stitch are exacting and I would consider the company serious about what they do and sell.

What I would love is an amalgamation of Rev-It's pursuit of new technologies providing the rider with 'the state of the art' in areas like protection from abrasion and weather as well as comfort, coupled with Aerostitch's customer support and customization options. Because I love to try on Rev-It gear with all the colors and textures and everything they use, and then I love to take the stuff off because nothing they sell outside of gloves fit me. Looking at the Aerostitch website and seeing all the custom sizing options and such looks great until I think about how the high today in KS is supposed to hit 106 and their gear doesn't seem much fun in that sort of heat.

Ha, anyone want to help provide venture capital, maybe I should start my own gear company and solve these issues on my own. I mean, how hard can it be, right?

EDIT: It looks like Teiz does custom sizing, at least they mention it on the site and there's a method to pass them information about sizing. This might be worth checking out, especially with textile suits as cheap as they are with these guys...

Bought my 2-piece Roadcrafter on ebay for $400. Jacket and pants both have a little extra belly room but there are enough adjustments on the thing to cinch it up. Long rides I zip them together anyway. Just about to order the back protector.

I've ridden in all kinds of weather as well... Canadian Spring, Summer and Fall. Sub-zero was cold with a couple layers and all vents closed. Short of an electric vest or really high end technical layers... sub-zero (Celsius) is gonna be cold. I also have no had a leaky crotch yet, except on one particular close call... not the suit's fault though. :ohmy:

Without having owned a one-piece suit, its hard to say if I would get one but I love the flexibility of the two piece. On the other hand, its easy to leave with just a jacket and no riding pants on for a short run which is not the best decision. The single doesn't give you the option.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the great comments everyone, it's been extremely helpful. What I will probably do is order my standard size, and try it sitting on the bike, then return for the needed adjustments. Will most likely do the rotated sleeves and ellipse, but not until I make sure the suit fits me right.

How do I attach an aftermarket back protector to this?

Also, what are your thoughts on Hi-Vis? I was thinking of going Hi-Vis for the main color but I just don't know. I don't commute very often with the bike due to work restrictions, and 95% of my riding is rural, and in the mountains of northern New England, so I'm not too concerned with heavy traffic. I am kind of leaning toward a grey suit with Hi-Vis ballistics.

• Member Contributer

The suits have velcro sewn inside. I'm not sure if anyone else makes one but Bohn sells a couple of protectors specifically for the roadcrafter. They just velcro in place like the regular one.

Bohn Armor

euroaeroback.jpgeuroaeroback1.jpg

They also have this one that can be used without the suit.

kcaeroback.jpgkcaeroback1.jpg

Also, what are your thoughts on Hi-Vis?

Before Dutch's Arkansas Rain Ride, I would have never considered a Hi-Viz suit. But a couple of riders had Hi-Viz suits (by other manufacturers), and they were consistently the only riders readily visible in near-blackout mid-day conditions.

I'm not saying I would buy one... but when I need to replace mine (due to continuing shrinkage) it will be a bridge I will have to cross decision-wise... and I think I would lean toward buying one.

Archived