Best way to clean baked-on, 130 mph bugs bodies

E-Ticket

Yes, the bugs won't get out the way. I honk the horn and go as fast as I can and they *still* refuse to get out of my way.

Then it's a choice of: clean the bike? or go ride?

So, "go ride" won out for a long time -- and now I have severely baked-on, way-smooshed, bug crud on the fairing, windshield, and condoms.

What's the best drill for cleaning them off other than rubbing for two days and ruining the paint?

Major thanks in advance! (and yes, I will post pics after I'm done.

Cheers! E-Ticket

Yes, the bugs won't get out the way. I honk the horn and go as fast as I can and they *still* refuse to get out of my way.

Then it's a choice of: clean the bike? or go ride?

So, "go ride" won out for a long time -- and now I have severely baked-on, way-smooshed, bug crud on the fairing, windshield, and condoms.

What's the best drill for cleaning them off other than rubbing for two days and ruining the paint?

Major thanks in advance! (and yes, I will post pics after I'm done.

Cheers! E-Ticket

So what was going 130 miles per hour, you or the bugs?

You know there are commercial products specific to that. Mild dish or carwash soap and water will work too. Soak em, get em soft. But, dig this, I was working in my woodshop and noticed how well mineral spirits works for cleaning up stuff and tried it on that baked tar stuff you get on your exhaust pipes, Remus Titaniums, to be exact. It worked very well, but I'd be careful on your fairing. Experiment on something not so valuable first but do try it on your engine and the gunk around your kickstand, fork tubes and centerstand. Amazing.

Also, did you know that brake cleaner spray is the best way to get rid of wasps and hornets that build their nests under the eaves. One shot of non-chlorinated brake cleaner kills them dead before they hit the ground. A big spray can costs about $3.00 at the local auto parts store. Never seen anything like it.

• Member Contributer

Also, did you know that brake cleaner spray is the best way to get rid of wasps and hornets that build their nests under the eaves. One shot of non-chlorinated brake cleaner kills them dead before they hit the ground. A big spray can costs about $3.00 at the local auto parts store. Never seen anything like it.

Wow, that is like the best "off-topic" post, ever. Seriously, thanks for the tip. :cheerleader:

I guess the brake cleaner might do a number on some finishes, but I bet it doesn't leave an oily residue like the normal pesticide spray - that stuff has got a wicked nasty petroleum base to it from what I can tell...

• Member Contributer

Hydrogen Peroxide will desolve dead bugs & loosen their grip on your fairing. It will not mar your finish either. Baked on bugs might take longer to desolve.

Thoroughly soak an old towel with water. Park the bike in the hot sun, lay the towel across the affected area. Walk away, drink a beer. When you return the bugs will be softened and wipe right off. Water is the universal solvent... let it do the work.

But, dig this, I was working in my woodshop and noticed how well mineral spirits works for cleaning up stuff and tried it on that baked tar stuff you get on your exhaust pipes, Remus Titaniums, to be exact. It worked very well, but I'd be careful on your fairing. Experiment on something not so valuable first but do try it on your engine and the gunk around your kickstand, fork tubes and centerstand. Amazing.

DO NOT - I REPEAT - DO **NOT** USE MINERAL SPIRITS OR ANY OTHER SOLVENT TO "CLEAN" ANY KIND OF PAINTED FINISH!!!!!

Also, while it is a better choice than petroleum based products for cleaning titanium, you should follow up with a water rinse to avoid staining the titanium. WD-40 on a rag works very well for removing heavy engine gunk.

Lastly, while I hate to sit here and contradict everything you said(really, I do), but I have tried brake cleaner on wasps/yellow jackets and, while it did put them off, they didn't die until thoroughly doused and so I would still use one of the more pricey "contact killers" if you have any kind of allergy.

Thoroughly soak an old towel with water. Park the bike in the hot sun, lay the towel across the affected area. Walk away, drink a beer. When you return the bugs will be softened and wipe right off. Water is the universal solvent... let it do the work.

+1 :cheerleader:

+1 on soak a towel and lay it on the bugs encrusted fairing for a few minutes. Works like a charm. I've never found a need to put it in the sun myself.

Once the heavy crud and guts are off, follow with plexus and a rag or towel. NO paper towels, they scratch. :blink:

+1 on soak a towel and lay it on the bugs encrusted fairing for a few minutes. Works like a charm. I've never found a need to put it in the sun myself.

Once the heavy crud and guts are off, follow with plexus and a rag or towel. NO paper towels, they scratch. :blink:

+1.gif+1.gif This works like a charm...and to help it out ,I soak the towel in hot water and have a few beers/dragon before going back to wipe off the guts... :dry: :beer:

Btw dont leave those guts on the paint too long...that nasty bug guts eats paint finish quick...just ask Dude about that...

Go back out there 150mph in the rain?? blink.gif

LOL! Can't ... it won't go 150 mph with the saddlebags on. And in the rain? ummm... pass.

But you get 3 pts. for creativity. It would have been the full 5 pts. ... but you failed to show your work. (grin)

Cheers! E-Ticket

Thanks to the "Lee Brothers" ..! I will try this first because:

a) It will do the least amount of harm.

b) Sounds easy. <g>

Thanks, homies! E-Ticket

Archived