What are the signs of your reg./rectifier failing?

superfunkomatic

My 2005 has almost 70,000 kilometres on it.

Last night on the way home my speedometer starting jumping up and down 50, 35, 42, 56, etc.

Bike ran fine and had no issues with stalling.

I've had the wiring harness replaced due to the recall on the bike. No other issues. Also have a brand new battery.

Is this a sign that there is an issue with the electrical, regulator/rectifier? It's never happened before. Could it be the nut that records the speed/speedometer on the sprocket is not functioning properly?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

mike

• Member Contributer

I dont know what the 6th gen look like, but 3rd gen and 5th gen are little plastic caps with a place for the speedo pickup (cable, on 3rd gen, pickup on 5th) to hook in. 3rd gen looks like a flat tip screwdriver opening, and the cable blade fits in, 5th gen, the plastic cap is attached to the pickup and sits on the nut on the countersprocket.

Yes, they wear out. Maybe check your connections, though. Electrical and speedo. Was the tach stable?

I would at least check the connectors where the vfrness is supposed to go! The ones by the r/r...

Cheers!

Sounds like the speedo pickup is the same - I remember seeing that when I changed the sprockets. I'll have a look.

The tach was fine - no jumping. Maybe it is just the speedo pickup is worn out - which would make me smile (easy repair).

I dont know what the 6th gen look like, but 3rd gen and 5th gen are little plastic caps with a place for the speedo pickup (cable, on 3rd gen, pickup on 5th) to hook in. 3rd gen looks like a flat tip screwdriver opening, and the cable blade fits in, 5th gen, the plastic cap is attached to the pickup and sits on the nut on the countersprocket.

Yes, they wear out. Maybe check your connections, though. Electrical and speedo. Was the tach stable?

I would at least check the connectors where the vfrness is supposed to go! The ones by the r/r...

Cheers!

• Member Contributer

If your bike has 70,000kms I would really recommend a voltmeter. You will see if your RR is over or under charging. It's a great warning system. Failing take your bike to your favorite mechanic and do a stator test (Ohms), test the voltage at the battery at different revs.

+1 for your speedo pickup. It is very easy to check and replace if necessary.

" What are the signs of your reg./rectifier failing?"

Owning a 3rd-5th gen! :beer:

Now to your question, as mentioned it's the nylon drive socket that rides the counter-shaft bolt to drive the speedo. They crack or wear and slip on the bolt head causing erratic speedo readings.

Cost is less that $8.00 from the Dealer and it takes about 5 min. to change one out, just remove the two 8mm bolts from the speedo drive unit on the left engine cover and replace the drive socket. :beer:

BR

I took out the nylon bushing on the speedo sensor. It's worn and rounded on the inside. Bought one from a dealer and will put it in Tuesday. I'll let y'all know how it works out.

Thanx for all of your help fellas.

Change the little plastic piece that sits on the front sprocketnut in the speedometer sensor. Worked like a charm. $10 bucks for the part and about 5 minutes work to change it.

Really, really glad that it wasn't an electrical gremlin.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Change the little plastic piece that sits on the front sprocketnut in the speedometer sensor. Worked like a charm. $10 bucks for the part and about 5 minutes work to change it.

Really, really glad that it wasn't an electrical gremlin.

Thanks for the help everyone!

:wub: Wish all our repairs were that easy! :goofy:

BR

I took out the nylon bushing on the speedo sensor. It's worn and rounded on the inside. Bought one from a dealer and will put it in Tuesday. I'll let y'all know how it works out.

Thanx for all of your help fellas.

Just make sure it rotates straight and not wobbly

Archived