Making a trailer

KanadianKen

Picked up for free, a neighbours used 13 foot long boat trailer. It had all the rollers, and guides - so I stripped them off, and have begun to prepare to make this thing into a dirt bike hauler.

Not planning anything fancy - just a simple 4 foot wide by 8 foot long deck - some new fenders, and maybe a checkered plate floor with some solid eye hooks for securing the bike. Will also change out the tires/rims - and give this thing a decent coat of tremclad black paint. Rewiring the harness and LED lights are going on all around as well.

At the front end of the trailer - I might try to figure out a way to mount a gas tank/tool box holder.

If anyone has ideas on that - or anything else about this little project - please holler!

DSCF0005.jpg

DSCF0007.jpg

DSCF0008.jpg

• Member Contributer

Picked up for free, a neighbours used 13 foot long boat trailer. It had all the rollers, and guides - so I stripped them off, and have begun to prepare to make this thing into a dirt bike hauler.

Not planning anything fancy - just a simple 4 foot wide by 8 foot long deck - some new fenders, and maybe a checkered plate floor with some solid eye hooks for securing the bike. Will also change out the tires/rims - and give this thing a decent coat of tremclad black paint. Rewiring the harness and LED lights are going on all around as well.

At the front end of the trailer - I might try to figure out a way to mount a gas tank/tool box holder.

If anyone has ideas on that - or anything else about this little project - please holler!

Might look into mounting some sort of hitch on the front. It sure makes things easier to hook up instead of welding it to the bumper everytime you go for a dirt ride. :biggrin:

Pay attention to the bike position in relationship to the axle when placing your tie down hooks.

The center of the bike should end up a bit forward of the trailer axle so that you have a decent amount of weight on the tongue of the trailer.

Too little weight and you get a trailer that sways side to speed.

• Member Contributer

I started out with nearly the exact same trailer, unfortunately I don't have any before and after pics. Here's what I did: Weld 2 triangles of rectangular tubing to square up the bed, then cut tdown he length of the tongue. Added a bed of treated lumber, an HF wheel chock, and recessed tie down loops into the bed that fold flush when using the trailer for other purposes. It is light, 4x8 bed, strong, and tows like a dream.

trailer001.jpg

trailer003.jpg

trailer004.jpg

• Member Contributer

I have a small trailer that I use to tow tires/tools for autocross behind my S2000. I made a simple open box out of 2x4s on the tongue that I drop a cooler in. A cam buckle tie-down strap over the cooler and hooked to the frame holds it well.

I started out with nearly the exact same trailer, unfortunately I don't have any before and after pics. Here's what I did: Weld 2 triangles of rectangular tubing to square up the bed, then cut tdown he length of the tongue. Added a bed of treated lumber, an HF wheel chock, and recessed tie down loops into the bed that fold flush when using the trailer for other purposes. It is light, 4x8 bed, strong, and tows like a dream.

trailer001.jpg

trailer003.jpg

trailer004.jpg

Damn - that looks like a great target as the "after" pics! Nicely done. Do have to square up the front of the frame to get a 4x8 size - square tubing sounds good.

Did you keep the tilt option or did you weld that closed? My plan was/is to weld it permanently closed.

Thanks!

I have a small trailer that I use to tow tires/tools for autocross behind my S2000. I made a simple open box out of 2x4s on the tongue that I drop a cooler in. A cam buckle tie-down strap over the cooler and hooked to the frame holds it well.

THATS a great simple idea - also low cost!! thanks! Might have to weld a bit more base material on the front end to support such a box.

• Member Contributer

Make sure to replace the hubs/bearings, and check those leafs, hangers, and axle for rust perforation. I would grind the rust off and prime/paint that and the frame as well.

Get a cheap folding front trailer jack with a wheel, makes moving it around a breeze, even loaded.

Get a cheap folding front trailer jack with a wheel, makes moving it around a breeze, even loaded.

:biggrin:

Might also want to weld some tubing vertically to the outside rails - that way you can later make sides that drop in, to create a box space for hauling other stuff too.

Also, if you can devise some hangers underneath the bed that you can slide ramps into, you won't have to worry about strapping them on top. (think delivery/moving van ramp...).

+1.gif

Might also want to weld some tubing vertically to the outside rails - that way you can later make sides that drop in, to create a box space for hauling other stuff too.

Also, if you can devise some hangers underneath the bed that you can slide ramps into, you won't have to worry about strapping them on top. (think delivery/moving van ramp...).

Good idea on the folding front wheel! Also like the idea of making it into a "Stake" bed if needed. The underhanging brackets also a good idea for hiding/transporting a ramp.

Lots of good ideas!! thanks all! :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Nice project Ken!

A few comments:

- The front boom is waaay too long for what you need. Cut it.

- Looks like it can pivot? Can you also use this to remove the boom entirely for storage? (I am a space-deprived New Yorker) In any case, I see no reason to weld it shut.

- Deck material - I would look into Trex material. It is a little more expensive than treated lumber, but it requires zero maintenance.

- Trailer Box: 3480025_lg.jpg

Archived