Lake Placid with the new wife

• Member Contributer

gallery_7274_5440_12825.jpg

Me, my new wife Julie and the VFR at the Whiteface Mountain Ski area entrance

So back on the 19th of June I tied the knot. Since it was was already the season of nice weather we opted to forgo the standard honeymoon until the Canadian winter kicks in.

So my new wife Julie suggested I take her away somewhere on the VFR. :cheerleader:

Humm, ok where can we go, where the roads are nice, lots to see and do, but less than a full day ride away???

Lake Placid :idea3:

Its only 300km away, lots of things to see and do, and with the Canadian dollar at almost par it will be cheap too :blush:

The Plan was to jump the ferry across at Kingston to Wolfe Island and cross in to the US there. Its a smaller boarder crossing with less traffic so on a bike, pulling gear off so you can talk to the border officer your not holding up a bunch of cagers. Who cares right? Well a happy cager is a respectful cager I always say. So that idea backfired as we missed the ferry and the next one was 2hours away. Only one point in the day where there is 2 hours between ferries and I showed up right then. Story of my life I guess. So on to the 1000 Island Parkway for the run over to the crossing at Hill Island.

US Customs dude was nice easy to deal with, the standard run of questions. I always tell them I'm an Electrician when they ask what I do for a living. Made the mistake of telling them I worked at a Nuclear Power plant once. 2 hours later and a sit down interview inside the big building I was final allowed to go. More life lessons I guess.

the trip over to Lake Placid was nothing out of the normal, some nice roads. But the whole area is very poor looking. Lot of run down house, that at their time where most likely very grand home. But its easy to see the money isn't there anymore to keep them looking the way they once did. Oh ya there was a NY State Trooper road block. Not sure who they where looking for, but there where 8 of them all with shot guns in hand. Very different from anything we would see at home.

We where in Lake Placid last summer for about an hour, but found out there was some big triathlon happening and most of town was shut down to cars. This year was much better, nothing but open roads and a few other tourist. Winter time is busy season so Hotel rooms are cheap, and you can get a great table at any of the lake side restaurants just by walking up, and no lines or waiting for any of the local attractions.

Was a great trip, spent 3 days in the area checking out the sites and scenery. Found a great little road with zero traffic. River rd or County Hwy 21 as Google maps shows it. Starts right at the base of the ski jumps at Hwy 73 and runs about 10 miles over too Hwy 86. Its posted at 55mph with corners at 40, 30 a hand full at 25 and 2 at 10mph. And it looks like it was just repaved in the last year or so. A must if your ever in the area.

gallery_7274_5440_59640.jpg

Bobsled track gives the Dragon a run at curves per mile

gallery_7274_5440_28250.jpg

14 foot high sides on these corners

gallery_7274_5440_110533.jpg

Ski jumpers and Hockey goalies have a about the same IQ in my mind

gallery_7274_5440_7916.jpg

Ok I know the US has some strange banking rules, but a loan sale???

gallery_7274_5440_23368.jpg

There where people standing around this, trying to figure out how they keep snow all sumer. Humm, your in front of a hockey arena, what to guess where the snow comes from??

gallery_7274_5440_119311.jpg

Sure as much as we would like to think so, I know what is was like when I went to high school

gallery_7274_5440_35853.jpg

This kid was 9. I could barley ski at 9 and this kid is doing back flips with a 360 twist

gallery_7274_5440_96267.jpg

Crossing a causeway at the north end of Lake Champlain

• Member Contributer

fing02.giffing02.gif Congratulations to you both!

Thanks for the nice report and photos. Avoiding the crowds and a great ride is the best! happy.gif

• Member Contributer

Bet the old wife (assuming) didn't like motorcycles:laughing6-hehe:

On a side note (I'm under the influence of the holiday spirits here)

Has anyone ever taken a bike down the bobsled track?

Could be fun. Or a really painful youtube moment.

Wonder if anything comes back if I google "bobsled VFR"

Silliness aside, nice trip report

And CONGRATULATIONS! :warranty:

• Member Contributer

Congrats on the wedding and trip, sounds like the destination was good once you got past some so-so areas. Hope you have a lifetime of enjoyable two-up trips. :warranty:

• Member Contributer

Thanks everyone..

Got the bike after old wife moved on, was part of my healing process :laughing6-hehe:

And Julie has come to the idea of wanting her own bike next spring. So looks like the VFR will have a Ninja 250 to share garage space with next year, because the CBR125 as great of an idea the are, are just way too under powered, 12hp come on guys. Should have used the CRF230 engine and just detuned it a bit. But Honda Canada has sold some 20,000 units in the last 3 years so some one wants them.

• Member Contributer

Well, no, not quite.

I once took my ZR750 up a dry stream bed. On reflection, I decided to ride down by the luge track. Natural luge, which meant lotsa greenery on the track and off to the sides. (OT; 'Luger' apparently has a couple of meanings, not just 'one who luges'...)

Glenn

On a side note (I'm under the influence of the holiday spirits here)

Has anyone ever taken a bike down the bobsled track?

Could be fun. Or a really painful youtube moment.

Wonder if anything comes back if I google "bobsled VFR"

Silliness aside, nice trip report

And CONGRATULATIONS! :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Thanks everyone..

Got the bike after old wife moved on, was part of my healing process :fing02:

And Julie has come to the idea of wanting her own bike next spring. So looks like the VFR will have a Ninja 250 to share garage space with next year, because the CBR125 as great of an idea the are, are just way too under powered, 12hp come on guys. Should have used the CRF230 engine and just detuned it a bit. But Honda Canada has sold some 20,000 units in the last 3 years so some one wants them.

I test rode one of the new Ninja 250s and enjoyed every minute. That said, if she has already done the CBR125* thing, might I suggest going up to a Ninja 650 or ER650N? She could ride one of those across the continent (slightly slower than we would, but still...). Try one of those - the ER6N flicks around like a 250 dirt bike.

And before I forget: Congratulations!

Glenn

*You guys down south need to see a CBR125. Water cooled, 6 speed, fuel injected, four instruments... It's a nice looking package. So what if it's a 125?

• Member Contributer

OK, the pics of the scenery and your bike are very nice, but how about a pic or two of you and the blushing bride? And Congratulations!

Congratulations!

And Julie has come to the idea of wanting her own bike next spring. So looks like the VFR will have a Ninja 250 to share garage space with next year

Very similar situation here...I introduced my wife to motorcycling and now she wants to get her own...taking her course probably next spring, and then we'll shop for a Ninja 250!

Great pics, Is there a topcase buried under there or are you using the bracket as a platform to attach the soft tailbag?

Thanks everyone..

Got the bike after old wife moved on, was part of my healing process :fing02:

I saw a guy down at the dragon last year on a cbr125, he rode down with a bunch of guys from Toronto, said it was a blast to ride down there on all those twisty roads.

I'd like to see a cbr250 or 400 brought over. Not sure if the market could support too many types of small bikes though. But Kawi's cornered the market on them with the 250/500's for years.

Have you seen this on Kawi's site?

http://www.kawasaki.ca/model/ninja-400r:1256

Congrats to the two of you! How cool to spend your honeymoon on a bike. PLUS---the Lake Placid region is awesome--I was just up there a few weeks ago--can't wait to get back to the region.

• Member Contributer

Thanks everyone..

Got the bike after old wife moved on, was part of my healing process :dry:

I test rode one of the new Ninja 250s and enjoyed every minute. That said, if she has already done the CBR125* thing, might I suggest going up to a Ninja 650 or ER650N? She could ride one of those across the continent (slightly slower than we would, but still...). Try one of those - the ER6N flicks around like a 250 dirt bike.

And before I forget: Congratulations!

Glenn

*You guys down south need to see a CBR125. Water cooled, 6 speed, fuel injected, four instruments... It's a nice looking package. So what if it's a 125?

Or a Ninja 500. They are easy enough to get on to especially after having experience on the 125 and they have enough power to do well on the highway as well as being highly regarded as a starter bike. If you go with the 250, she may find she's looking for another upgrade sooner rather than later. That being said, I haven't ridden the 250.

BC

Archived