Scala Rider lookalike

Flanker

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

My order has finally gone from "Waiting for Supplier" to shipped. It has been about 2 weeks so far.

:laughing6-hehe: got my shipping notification this morning.

My order has finally gone from "Waiting for Supplier" to shipped. It has been about 2 weeks so far.

:laughing6-hehe: got my shipping notification this morning.

The race is on! ;)

• Member Contributer

Mine shipped today as well. We'll see what's faster. Shipping to the US or Norway :)

A 3-way race...US, Canada and Norway.

Can one of you please let me know if you can use your own earphones instead of there speakers?

Mine shipped today as well. We'll see what's faster. Shipping to the US or Norway :)

A 3-way race...US, Canada and Norway.

I'm on team Canada also... looks like we might have a bit of an advantage :beatdeadhorse:

• Member Contributer

I'm still just waiting for confirmation if they will sync with the real Q2. If so, I hope they brought lots in stock... :beatdeadhorse:

I'm still just waiting for confirmation if they will sync with the real Q2. If so, I hope they brought lots in stock... :beatdeadhorse:

I remain hopeful...but you know...it does seem too good to be true!

I can't wait to see the results of these posts.

I have been considering these headsets for road use to listen to tunes, take phone calls and perhaps jabber away to a pillion. But......... I am really interested in the bike to bike range because I'd like to use it to instruct my daughter on the finer points of dirt trail riding.

You know ...... watch out for that log...... avoid that rut...... dodge that knuckle dragger in the 4WD...... that type of thing.

Has anyone used these headsets, el cheapo or otherwise in this fashion?

• Member Contributer

I'm still just waiting for confirmation if they will sync with the real Q2. If so, I hope they brought lots in stock... :fing02:

+1.gif That's why I bought 2 of the knockoffs. I had 2 Scalas, but one crapped out in the rain. Rather than risk the knockoff not syncing with the Scala, I got 2. But I'm keeping the Scala if it syncs. It'll be great for riding with another bike.

I'm still just waiting for confirmation if they will sync with the real Q2. If so, I hope they brought lots in stock... :fing02:

+1.gif That's why I bought 2 of the knockoffs. I had 2 Scalas, but one crapped out in the rain. Rather than risk the knockoff not syncing with the Scala, I got 2. But I'm keeping the Scala if it syncs. It'll be great for riding with another bike.

Good move.

I am married to such a miser that one knockoff was all I could score. If it doesn't pair with my Q2, I'll keep talking to myself...HA!!

Seriously...I could start a whole new thread on cheapskate wives!! I'm lucky to own the wreck I have!! ;)

• Member Contributer

I have been considering these headsets for road use to listen to tunes, take phone calls and perhaps jabber away to a pillion. But......... I am really interested in the bike to bike range because I'd like to use it to instruct my daughter on the finer points of dirt trail riding.

You know ...... watch out for that log...... avoid that rut...... dodge that knuckle dragger in the 4WD...... that type of thing.

The Q2 has a reported range of 1/4 mile at best, but less in actual practice, so the knockoff is likely the same. If the knock-off has the same range as the Q2, it should work fine for your purpose.

The G4 has a reported range up to 1 mile, but I haven't yet used it with another G4, only with a Q2, so the range is limited to the Q2 range.

If a range of 1/4 mile or less is inadequate for your needs, you should probably consider the G4 Multiset, but it's a bit pricey. Maybe they'll come out with a G4 knock-off as well!

The Q2 has a reported range of 1/4 mile at best, but less in actual practice, so the knockoff is likely the same. If the knock-off has the same range as the Q2, it should work fine for your purpose.

The G4 has a reported range up to 1 mile, but I haven't yet used it with another G4, only with a Q2, so the range is limited to the Q2 range.

If a range of 1/4 mile or less is inadequate for your needs, you should probably consider the G4 Multiset, but it's a bit pricey. Maybe they'll come out with a G4 knock-off as well!

From what I understand, the knockoffs are Class 2 Bluetooth. The Q2 is Class 1.

Class 2 devices are by far the most common and have a nominal range of 10M.

Class 1 devices have a longer nominal range of 100M.

Well mine came in today.

At first glance it's a great unit. Keep in mind that anything good I say could be completed with..."for the price."

It has all the same buttons but they are used quite differently from the Q2's operation. I will try not to let the learning curve taint my overall impression.

Everything sounds better in stereo and the Bluetooth stereo didn't disappoint me even with the cheap speakers. You cannot make call on it...you can only redial the last number. I had a phone conversation with a friend while sitting at my desk and it actually sounded better than my Q2....we'll see at speed.

The manual says it can speak the number that's calling you (in English) ...interesting.

For now...I'll let it fully charge and play with it when I get home from work.

• Member Contributer

sweet, looking forward to a full ride review and additional thoghts from the others who ordered this before I visit new enough and try to justofy a Scala Q4...

• Member Contributer

I got my registered mail card in my mailbox today. Now I have to wait until tomorrow to pick it up, dammit!

sweet, looking forward to a full ride review and additional thoghts from the others who ordered this before I visit new enough and try to justofy a Scala Q4...

I just got my G4 powerset from Sum of All Parts for $325 and free shipping. New Enough wanted $369.

I just got my G4 powerset from Sum of All Parts for $325 and free shipping. New Enough wanted $369.

I think the Q4 is worth the moola....if you have the moola. I just happened to be married to a cheapskate! :blink:

Well mine came in today.

At first glance it's a great unit. Keep in mind that anything good I say could be completed with..."for the price."

It has all the same buttons but they are used quite differently from the Q2's operation. I will try not to let the learning curve taint my overall impression.

Everything sounds better in stereo and the Bluetooth stereo didn't disappoint me even with the cheap speakers. You cannot make call on it...you can only redial the last number. I had a phone conversation with a friend while sitting at my desk and it actually sounded better than my Q2....we'll see at speed.

The manual says it can speak the number that's calling you (in English) ...interesting.

For now...I'll let it fully charge and play with it when I get home from work.

Crap. You beat be! Mine arrived in contry today, and will probably clear through customs today. I'll have it here tomorrow or Friday. Your initial views on the device seems promising :)

Well...here we go.

This is what I can offer so far.

Cardo calls their unit weatherproof...the V1 is referred to as water resistant only.

The Q2's built-in FM radio offers 5 presets and is "ok." The V1...(yes that it what my BlackBerry sees it as)...has no presets and the tuner sensitivity is poor. The FM radio happens to be an integral part of my set up as I use my Garmin Nuvi 350 with a Griffin iTrip universal FM transmitter. I had a heck of a time tuning the V1 into my iTrip. I tuned into a local station and went for a ride...lots of noise, fading etc.

On the Bluetooth side, the V1 wins. The Q2 does not support stereo audio. Up until last night, my Nuvi has been my navigation system and mp3 player through the itrip. I went out and bought 4GB micro SD card for my BlackBerry, load up some tunes and went for another ride. Sweet! As mentioned before, the speakers are crappy, no worse than those supplied with the Q2 I'm sure...but...everything sounds better in stereo. You have to use the phone's interface to choose your play list...(something I do with 2 feet on the ground)...but once your tunes are playing, you can pause and start the music from the headset. A small thing but nice.**Update 07/21/10...when in bluetooth AV control mode, long pressing the up and down volume button changes the volume and short pressing them allows you to step back and forth through the tracks (turns out that was in the user guide...duh!!)**

**This could be a bug but on my unit...the stereo bluetooth playback doesn't work properly if your phone is turned on 1st...I had to turn on the V1 THEN the phone. Could be the phone...I am testing this with a BlackBerry 8530 Curve**

On the phone side the Q2 is the winner. On my Q2 I can voice dial and answer calls hands free. The call quality at speed is quite good. The V1 will only allow to redial the last number and doesn't allow you to answer a call with out pressing a button. I think I made calls from my Q2 because I could...you know when something is new etc. Come to think of it now the only calls I make are to the local police's Aggressive Driver Hotline...;) I could live without the ability to place a call. The V1 actually speaks the number of party calling you...it works! A woman's voice with a British accent...sexy. (Incoming call from seven zero five two six eight...)...you get the idea. So it chimes twice, speaks, chimes twice and so on until a human or machine answers. That is another small but nice touch. **Update 07/21/10 ** My wife called me when I was on my way home from work...I was in just normal city traffic (50 km/h) and she had a hard time understanding me. I then redialed home and left a message on the machine...it sounded like I was speaking Finnish and I don't know how to speak Finnish!! I may need to play with it a bit more. (that's what she said!)**Update 07/22/10** The V1 must not have the same noise cancelling circuit that the Q2 does. One has to speak slowly and clearly for the other party to understand you. Did I mention that I like stereo music?!??

The moment you've all been waiting for. I successfully paired the V1 with the Q2. The only glitch was that I could only initiate and terminate communication from the Q2. That wouldn't be so bad but they didn't pass the power off test. After I turned both off and back, they didn't stay paired. The communication I did have with my wife occurred in the house about 50 feet apart and not line of sight. I will be unable to test it as an intercom at speed for a while so maybe someone else could chime in.

My recommendation....buy 2! At that price you'll be happy...especially if you have a Bluetooth GPS!

How much did you pay in customs if you don't mind me asking?

I paid no customs, this time. Canada Post are hit and miss. I picture a pendulum swinging randomly, knocking packages off a conveyor belt. The pendulum missed my package!

Archived