Scala Rider lookalike

Flanker

Anoyone here tried this Scala Rider lookalike from Dealextreme?

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.35614

I couldn't resist the temptation and ordered one yesterday. At $44.45 incl. shipping, what do I have to loose (other than $44.45) :biggrin:

It's got a really short range for bike-to-bike communication. But I primarily want it for hands free phone, music and GPS. Other than the short range, this unit is actually better spec'd than the Scala Rider Q2.

My expectations aren't high, but we'll see once it arrives... May have to pair it with a a cheap Kung Fu GPS too, just to get the complete China package :biggrin:

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Anoyone here tried this Scala Rider lookalike from Dealextreme?

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.35614

I couldn't resist the temptation and ordered one yesterday. At $44.45 incl. shipping, what do I have to loose (other than $44.45) :comp13:

It's got a really short range for bike-to-bike communication. But I primarily want it for hands free phone, music and GPS. Other than the short range, this unit is actually better spec'd than the Scala Rider Q2.

My expectations aren't high, but we'll see once it arrives... May have to pair it with a a cheap Kung Fu GPS too, just to get the complete China package :cool:

can't wait for the review! :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Wow, looks interesting. Looks almost identical to my Q2, except the mic looks a little different. It's got stereo Bluetooth, too, which the Q2 doesn't. Great timing seeing as one of my Q2's died from the rain.

• Member Contributer

Looks like it's the European model. Description states: - 1 * 110-240V EU plug AC adapter

Image looks to be the EU plug. Let us know how it works out.

Looks like it's the European model. Description states: - 1 * 110-240V EU plug AC adapter

Image looks to be the EU plug. Let us know how it works out.

It's a universal model... Text also says: 1 * US plug adapter

I'll post a review once I get it. Unfortunately I don't have a real Scala Rider Q2 to compare it with, but I'll post my thoughts anyway.

My temptation took over months ago....been usin it and very happy.....it works well except for the FM radio...which i really didnt care....it link to my cell phone right away and mutes the I-Pod when a call comes in.....the range seems very well...its hard to tell when it comes and goes. For $46 it was well worth it, i bought one for the wife also....it seems pretty water proof (got caught in a down pour a few times) the only thing i found wrong was that the volume control buttons were backwards from the directions....I have a scorpion helmet and dont notice much wind buffeting from the unit......the buttons are big enough to find with my gloves on.....

its much nicer riding with tunes and the company of the cell phone.....

My temptation took over months ago....been usin it and very happy.....it works well except for the FM radio...which i really didnt care....it link to my cell phone right away and mutes the I-Pod when a call comes in.....the range seems very well...its hard to tell when it comes and goes. For $46 it was well worth it, i bought one for the wife also....it seems pretty water proof (got caught in a down pour a few times) the only thing i found wrong was that the volume control buttons were backwards from the directions....I have a scorpion helmet and dont notice much wind buffeting from the unit......the buttons are big enough to find with my gloves on.....

Have you compared it to a Q2? I have a Q2 and am very curious.

Have you compared it to a Q2? I have a Q2 and am very curious.

from what i can see....the scala allows you to use voice dialing and control.....unless you have your phone out...this one only allows you to dial your last call. It has stereo and the speakers arent tooo bad....the calls and music are clear up to around 70 MPH....depending on the helmet seal from wind noise....

one thing ive learned from experience....when you take off your helmet for a break....you have to turn off the blue tooth....or your helmet accepts the calls with out you hearing them....

• Member Contributer

Can you really hear will with all the wind noise? I'm interested in one, but I'm wondering about the sound quality.

Can you really hear will with all the wind noise? I'm interested in one, but I'm wondering about the sound quality.

Making a decent speaker system at low coat isn't a problem. It's not rocket science, even though the prices oh high-end brands can make you believe that.

What I'm curious about is if the BT functionality is stable and how waterproof it really is. Time will show...

As for the FM radio, does it have the antenna in the speaker wire? If so. It should be routed over the top of the helmet to increase reception. On the inside, under the liner of course. That's what Cardo recommend on their units. I'm guessing this is similar.

I'm thinking iPhone for calls & music, and adding a cheap Chinese GPS with an FM transmitter for longer trips. Total cost for both will be lower than a single Scala Rider unit. Muhahahahaha....

Making a decent speaker system at low coat isn't a problem. It's not rocket science, even though the prices oh high-end brands can make you believe that.

What I'm curious about is if the BT functionality is stable and how waterproof it really is. Time will show...

As for the FM radio, does it have the antenna in the speaker wire? If so. It should be routed over the top of the helmet to increase reception. On the inside, under the liner of course. That's what Cardo recommend on their units. I'm guessing this is similar.

I'm thinking iPhone for calls & music, and adding a cheap Chinese GPS with an FM transmitter for longer trips. Total cost for both will be lower than a single Scala Rider unit. Muhahahahaha....

The antenna is just a little nub out the front of the unit.....im in pittsburgh and i could not pick up a single station....just static......i really didnt care for it any way....when you can have hours of your favorite selections on your Ipod......I have a little I-pod shuffle which i velcro to the back of the helmet and works perfect. ...Im not high tech enough to have to blue tooth I-phone and such.....to me...simple is better....my little shuffle and my normal cell phone.......

As far as the water proofness of it....mine is hangin in there...my buddies dont pull over in the rain.....they pound it out.....so its been soaked many times.....and keeps working

• Member Contributer

Wow...nice find. Can anyone confirm how well it works on the range for bike to bike communication? I know it says 100m but that's pretty close range when at speed....

• Member Contributer

I'm seriously considering getting this, now that my Scala Q2 died from the rain. And like was said, two of these is still cheaper than one Cardo. I wonder if they'll sync up with my working Cardo from my multi-set.

I'm seriously considering getting this, now that my Scala Q2 died from the rain. And like was said, two of these is still cheaper than one Cardo. I wonder if they'll sync up with my working Cardo from my multi-set.

If you hang on a week or so Bryan, I can let you know if it talks to my Q2.

• Member Contributer

If you hang on a week or so Bryan, I can let you know if it talks to my Q2.

Thanks for the offer Boosh. But I think I'm just gonna go ahead and pull the trigger and buy two of these. This way I know they'll talk to each other. If they'll sync with the Cardo, I'll keep that for when I go riding with somebody who doesn't have an intercom.

Thanks for the offer Boosh. But I think I'm just gonna go ahead and pull the trigger and buy two of these.

Can't wait to hear a review, This would be great for the kids or wife when they are on the back of the bike.

For those of you that already have been using them. Do you ride with earplugs? and if so how do they sound when cruising along with the Tunes playing with earplugs in.?

• Member Contributer

For those of you that already have been using them. Do you ride with earplugs? and if so how do they sound when cruising along with the Tunes playing with earplugs in.?

I and my pillion (fiance) always used earplugs with the Cardo system. You just have to pay attention to the speaker placement. I added the extra piece of velcro behind my speakers to get them closer to my ears. Once I did that, they worked great. Can't vouch for the knockoffs, yet.

• Member Contributer

Anyone order these since the original post and get them? I ordered them last weekend, and they still say they're waiting on the supplier. :beer:

I use an old ChatterBox headset just to hear my V1 Radar Detector and would still be my main reason for a headset, but is there a way to use this set-up for my detector?

Is there a simple wirerless broadcast unit I could ad to my V1 to be picked up by this unit? :beer:

BR: You should be able to plug in either an FM transmitter or a Bluetooth thingy if your radar detector has an audio out connector, preferably a standard mini jack.

I'm still waiting for mine. They're "waiting for supplier" ... That's the one problem with DX, they sometimes make you wait a few weeks for the cheap, Chinese goodies. But good things hopefully come to those who wait.

Archived