Scala Rider lookalike

Flanker

Well...here we go.

This is what I can offer so far.

My recommendation....buy 2! At that price you'll be happy...especially if you have a Bluetooth GPS!.

Thanks for the write up! Too bad about the FM radio though... But like you said, for the price, this unit likely can't be beat. Now I just gotta ditch this iphone and get a proper phone with a radio tuner built in :pinocchio:

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will keep updating my original write-up rather than keep adding posts to the thread. I'm not sure if edits give subscribers to the thread a new notification.

• Member Contributer

My recommendation....buy 2! At that price you'll be happy...especially if you have a Bluetooth GPS!

I'm glad I ordered two. I use mine primarily as an intercom, and to hear my Zumo 550. I've never used the radio on the Q2, so I'm not concerned with that. If I want to listen to music, which I've only done once, I put it on the Zumo. But with the V1 (I guess that's what we'll call it) having stereo bluetooth, I might put my music on my iPhone instead. As for the phone part, I use the Zumo. It has my full contact list from my iPhone, so it shows exactly who's calling.

Overall, it sounds like a good choice, though I have yet to receive mine. Thanks Flanker for the headsup on this deal. :cheerleader:

• Member Contributer

I'm glad I ordered two. I use mine primarily as an intercom, and to hear my Zumo 550. I've never used the radio on the Q2, so I'm not concerned with that. If I want to listen to music, which I've only done once, I put it on the Zumo. But with the V1 (I guess that's what we'll call it) having stereo bluetooth, I might put my music on my iPhone instead. As for the phone part, I use the Zumo. It has my full contact list from my iPhone, so it shows exactly who's calling.

Overall, it sounds like a good choice, though I have yet to receive mine. Thanks Flanker for the headsup on this deal. :wink:

Bryan,

I would dearly like to know how you like your setup, since you will be using the same setup as mine.

I have a 550 and will use that to connect to other devices, iPhone, VZW phone, ect.......... then I want the 550 to connect to the V1 and let me know what is going on.

I just picked up mine and agree with what's been said allready. Build quality seems good, especially for the price. They state that it shouldn't be used in heavy rain or snow, but it should cope with "normal" showers just fine. I've only tried it in my house so far. Paired fine with my iPhone. Installation was easy and they provide two options to mount. A glue plate and a clamp. Sound quality is fine and plenty loud. Not high-end speakers, but not crap either. They're much louder and clearer than my old wire-based intercom and cost is the same :$

I'll try it on the road soon both for music and phone and will report back later. Oh, the FM function is indeed crap. I could only pick up two stations, with lots of noise and distortion. But it'll probably be ok for a close by FM transmitter hooked up to a GPS. I'll probably go the Bluetooth route with navigation as well, once I get my HTC Desire :)

• Member Contributer

Bryan,

I would dearly like to know how you like your setup, since you will be using the same setup as mine.

I have a 550 and will use that to connect to other devices, iPhone, VZW phone, ect.......... then I want the 550 to connect to the V1 and let me know what is going on.

My V1 just came into the US, still don't have it yet. But I've used my setup with the Q2 Multiset (before the rain killed one of them) and I loved it. The Zumo is great, it does so much more than just telling you where to go. I synced my iPhone with it, or I should say it did it itself once paired via bluetooth. It even synced my entire address book, so if somebody calls, the Zumo tells me who's calling and gives me the option to answer it or ignore it. If I answer it, it overrides everything else, music, directions, etc. The Zumo overrides rider to passenger intercom, too. I don't think I'll use the V1 to play music, even though it's stereo bluetooth (the Zumo isn't) because I like that I can control my music from the Zumo, select playlists, etc.

As for the volume, the crucial part is speaker placement. If the speakers are too far away from your ears, you'll have a hard time hearing them. Once I got them setup properly, we can both hear them fine, even with earplugs.

• Member Contributer

Regarding the rain killing a Q2 unit, same thing happened to my brother. Cardo replaced it immediately. He now makes sure the charging port plug is in so no water can get in (it's a bit difficult to seat all the way), and hasn't had any further problems in the last 3,500 miles or so, and some heavy rains. So maybe that's the source of water getting in and frying the electronics.

• Member Contributer

Just ordered mine. For that price it's worth a try. I'v been wanting a BT for a while now and just discoverd that my phone is stereo BT Mp3 player also...woot

• Member Contributer

I tried to use my Q2 in the V1's cradle. The mic does not work.

Good to know, Boosh, thanks. I'm heading to the post office to pick mine up. I don't think I'll have much of a chance to try them, though. I'm packing for my move next weekend. But I'll at least get them installed in the helmets and synced up.

• Member Contributer

Tested mine out this weekend. It works well, volume is good, call quality is good, price is definately good. I had a few issues, but I think they are all on my phone(music cutting out, couldn't answer a call).

The only issue I had (only happened the first time I connected it, but haven't tried again) is that when I was trying to change the volume on the unit, it was skipping to the next track. It was impossible for me to change the volume on the unit when the bluetooth was connected to my phone (EVO 4G). So I just disconnected the BT and used the built in wired connection. That worked great! On the way home, it connected just fine and worked (other than the above phone issues).

I did also notice a bit more wind noise and buffeting from that side of my helmet after installation. Not enough to cause a problem, but enough to notice.

I am happy with the purchase, just need to get the bugs worked out with the new phone.

• Member Contributer

Sorry for the lack of update. I got mine on Saturday but haven't had the chance to do anything with them. I'm in the middle of packing everything because I'm moving this weekend. I did get a chance to open them and look at them, and even charge them, but that's it. Not sure when I'll have the time. It depends on how the move goes.

Tested mine out this weekend. It works well, volume is good, call quality is good, price is definately good. I had a few issues, but I think they are all on my phone(music cutting out, couldn't answer a call).

The only issue I had (only happened the first time I connected it, but haven't tried again) is that when I was trying to change the volume on the unit, it was skipping to the next track. It was impossible for me to change the volume on the unit when the bluetooth was connected to my phone (EVO 4G). So I just disconnected the BT and used the built in wired connection. That worked great! On the way home, it connected just fine and worked (other than the above phone issues).

I did also notice a bit more wind noise and buffeting from that side of my helmet after installation. Not enough to cause a problem, but enough to notice.

I am happy with the purchase, just need to get the bugs worked out with the new phone.

My call quality was pretty crappy according to the couple of people I talked with. What conditions were you using in?

• Member Contributer

I've used mine to listen to music from my Blackberry. I've had a few skipping issues, but for the most part the music through bluetooth works fine, and it pairs immediately when the V1 and BB are both on. The controls for the mp3 work as advertised, the volume and the jumping to other tracks. I only used the phone once for an incoming call. The caller said I sounded fine (I was on the freeway), but their voice was so distorted I could barely understand what they were saying. Sometime this week I will test out the helmet to helmet communication with my SO. So far a good investment.

• Member Contributer

We've taken a few evening rides in the last week, and the rider to passenger communication is good. Now my SO thinks it's okay to talk the whole time we're riding. I need to start making use of the volume control.

• Member Contributer

I just ordered a pair of these, but then found these: BT Interphone + Handsfree Bluetooth for Motorcycle and Skiing Helmet (7-Hour Talk/100-Hour Standby). I canceled the initial order and upgraded.

sku_35613_7.jpg

I just ordered a pair of these, but then found these: BT Interphone + Handsfree Bluetooth for Motorcycle and Skiing Helmet (7-Hour Talk/100-Hour Standby). I canceled the initial order and upgraded.

sku_35613_7.jpg

just ordered one of these as well, it charges via mini usb so I can charge the unit via the powerlet on my bike as well (with the Garmin cable)

Will be in Poland next week so the mailman need not hurry..... :beatdeadhorse:

I am very curious to hear about these!

• Member Contributer

just ordered one of these as well, it charges via mini usb so I can charge the unit via the powerlet on my bike as well (with the Garmin cable)

Will be in Poland next week so the mailman need not hurry..... :beatdeadhorse:

I am very curious to hear about these!

Me too! Four days later, and the order status is "packaging." Apparently I can expect to see them in 10-13 days from tomorrow.

I got my original set tonight and started messing around with it.... From my initial impressions it isn't nearly loud enough.

More to come...

Strange... Mine's plenty loud, even when wearing earplugs with the highest NRR rating. They key is to place the speakers as close to the ear as possible.

Archived