Scala Rider lookalike

Flanker

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

After finally getting settled after the move, I pulled my V2's out again. I synced them together and then synced one of them with my Zumo, all without problem. Then I installed them in the helmets. I haven't used them yet on a ride with my fiance yet, but maybe this weekend, but I did notice one difference between the V2 and the Cardo. On the V2, the main Ctrl button activates the intercom. On the Cardo, it's the m/c button behind it. I actually prefer the Cardo way because it's a raised button, much easier to find and work with gloves than the flush one. But we'll see if it's that big of a deal after I try them out.

• Member Contributer

I just ordered a pair of these, but then found these: BT Interphone + Handsfree Bluetooth for Motorcycle and Skiing Helmet (7-Hour Talk/100-Hour Standby). I canceled the initial order and upgraded.

My pair of headsets arrived yesterday, and I installed the first one last night. The speakers are pretty thick, but I think will be comfortable enough (in my Joe Rocket RKT101 Carbon, FWIW), and the unit paired with my Google Nexus One immediately (no pairing code was required, contrary to the instructions).

My initial take is that the quality of the speakers and wiring is pretty low/flimsy, and that the speakers will be plenty loud, but the sound quality not so great. But for US$50, I won't complain too much!

First ride is in an hour, so I'll know more soon!

David

• Member Contributer

I just ordered a pair of these, but then found these: BT Interphone + Handsfree Bluetooth for Motorcycle and Skiing Helmet (7-Hour Talk/100-Hour Standby). I canceled the initial order and upgraded.

My pair of headsets arrived yesterday, and I installed the first one last night. The speakers are pretty thick, but I think will be comfortable enough (in my Joe Rocket RKT101 Carbon, FWIW), and the unit paired with my Google Nexus One immediately (no pairing code was required, contrary to the instructions).

My initial take is that the quality of the speakers and wiring is pretty low/flimsy, and that the speakers will be plenty loud, but the sound quality not so great. But for US$50, I won't complain too much!

First ride is in an hour, so I'll know more soon!

David

Disappointed. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, but as far as I can see, these items are very poor quality. The bluetooth A2DP link drops every 15-20 seconds, the sound quality is atrocious, and I have zero confidence in their ability to ever be worth what I paid for them.

They will soon be flying back to HK.

Next?!

• Member Contributer

Dutchy - If you haven't done this already, make sure you have the speakers directly centered over your ear canals, and up against your ears. It makes a tremendous difference in sound quality and volume on both my Q2 and my G4. If a speaker gets out of line even a wee bit, the sound goes all to hell and the volume drops way off. When I have my speakers lined up right, I can hear well even at 90 mph in traffic. I rarely have to put the volume on full, and I have some fairly damaged too-many-rock-concerts-in-my-youth ears.

And by the way, the G4 is stereo BT, and it is excellent compared to the mono Q2. Just wish the bass could be boosted a bit, but I can live without that feature I guess.

Now go chase some windmills!

After finally getting settled after the move, I pulled my V2's out again. I synced them together and then synced one of them with my Zumo, all without problem. Then I installed them in the helmets. I haven't used them yet on a ride with my fiance yet, but maybe this weekend, but I did notice one difference between the V2 and the Cardo. On the V2, the main Ctrl button activates the intercom. On the Cardo, it's the m/c button behind it. I actually prefer the Cardo way because it's a raised button, much easier to find and work with gloves than the flush one. But we'll see if it's that big of a deal after I try them out.

You received V2's?....I got the V1.

• Member Contributer

You received V2's?....I got the V1.

My bad, fat fingers. They're V1's.

I used them last weekend, wasn't too impressed. The sound quality is a little lacking. My fiance said I sounded fine, if not better than with the Scala, but she (and the GPS) sounded a little distorted. Also, it would cut off the first word of the GPS. For instance, instead of "turn left in 100 feet" I'd hear "left in 100 feet". Not horrible, but not great. Then at some point, the GPS lost the connection with the V1. A few times throughout the ride the Zumo would say it lost the headset, then found it again, but I never heard the GPS again. I'll try re-syncing them before I use them again and see if it gets any better. But still, for the money, I can't complain too much.

• Member Contributer

Just a personal preference, but when riding and conversing with another rider, we turn off the GPS voice prompts. We found them just plain annoying, constantly beeping and disrupting our conversations. I've found it adequate just to follow the visual prompts on the GPS screen. But, to each his own.

Went out for a ride today, and my left headphone stopped working all of a sudden. I played around with the wires to no avail, and also tried alternate bluetooth sources... Seems that the connection is totally loose/severed. In my opionion these knock-offs are a waste of coin, but then again I have never used a name brand unit.

I will keep fiddling with it, and likely try to wire in an old set of DBI 705's headphones I have kicking around... Not sure if this unit can power them though :laughing6-hehe:

Am I the only one that's starting to get confused by this topic? This has now merged to a topic concerning two different units from Dealextreme.com - And just by reading the reviews at that site, one seems inferior to the other. Could a moderator be so kind and split this topic, so nothing drowns in the confusion? This is about the Scala Rider lookalike unit, not the other one. I may be dumb, or I'm having problems due to english not being my native language, but I can no longer tell who's talking about which unit here :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Am I the only one that's starting to get confused by this topic? This has now merged to a topic concerning two different units from Dealextreme.com - And just by reading the reviews at that site, one seems inferior to the other. Could a moderator be so kind and split this topic, so nothing drowns in the confusion? This is about the Scala Rider lookalike unit, not the other one. I may be dumb, or I'm having problems due to english not being my native language, but I can no longer tell who's talking about which unit here :fing02:

Started a new thread here

for this unit:

07815f5d.jpg

• 4 months later...

Would any of you fellas with the Scala Rider look-alike care to sell me their adhesive mounting plate for a reasonable price if not using it?

thanks in advance!

../Mark

• Member Contributer

Would any of you fellas with the Scala Rider look-alike care to sell me their adhesive mounting plate for a reasonable price if not using it?

thanks in advance!

../Mark

I just sold my look-alike next week, but I probably have one for the actual Scala that I'm not using, especially seeing as one is fried. I'll take a look later today and let you know.

• Member Contributer

thanks in advance!

../Mark

I just sold my look-alike next week, but I probably have one for the actual Scala that I'm not using, especially seeing as one is fried. I'll take a look later today and let you know.

Yep, I've got the adhesive mount for the actual Scala, if you're interested.

• 3 months later...

I tried to use my Q2 in the V1's cradle. The mic does not work.

Did you by any chance try the V1 in the Q2's cradle? I lost the receiver module and just have the heatset bas left on my helmet.

Question for those that have this unit. Can you hook up your own headphones? I have some audio custom molded headphones and want to know if I can use them with this instead of the speakers. Thanks

• Member Contributer

Question for those that have this unit. Can you hook up your own headphones? I have some audio custom molded headphones and want to know if I can use them with this instead of the speakers. Thanks

Yes you can, it uses a regular mini jack

45c0bf4c.jpg

Yes you can, it uses a regular mini jack

Great! Thanks for the shot too.

I tried to use my Q2 in the V1's cradle. The mic does not work.

Did you by any chance try the V1 in the Q2's cradle? I lost the receiver module and just have the heatset bas left on my helmet.

Okay I think I have figured out the deal with the v1 v2 look-alike. I believe Cardo Systems purchased the V1 V2 products and oem customized them. I think they changed the antenna stub and made it run out through the left side headset wire to improve the FM radio reception. and I believe they installed better microphone and headset speakers then the original manufacturer dir. In essence, they enhanced the product. They probably did other customizations such as changing the pairing name ect...

Then they released it for resale. They doubled the prise to the distributers who double the price to the consumer. This would explain the absorbant cost of the Scala Rider product.

I need to purchase a v1 or v2 and try it in the base of the Scala Rider to which I lost the tranceiver. If it works in it then this would explain alot. Although the customizations may prevent it from operating.

Rob

• 3 months later...

Most of the discussion here has been about the bluetooth paring and phone / i-pod use. But how about the bike to bike use? How well does it work for that? I'm too cheap to by a real scala or chatterbox setup for me and my wife. This would fit my budget nicely tho.

Has anyone had better luck with the FM? I also have spare sirius docks laying around, being able to have Sat radio through FM would be cool.

• 7 months later...

Hello friends!

I need an advice. I have Scala rider Q2 team set but as i understand one bt module is dead :(( everithing else work perfectly (FM, Volume UP\Down) but it can't conect (pait) to other devices such as another Scala and phone, GPS etc.

And i use it 2 years so warrante has gone.

So i see only a few ways:

1. Buy a new par of Scala

2. Try to find spare parts ( but it's very hard to do in Ukraine)

3. Buy Chinese (from DX) BT device for spare parts

4. Buy a new paire of BT device from BT

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Resurrect old thread.....

My BT Interphone unit (bought via DEALEXTREME) is dead...... well almost.

Where at 1st it would deliver at least 8 hours of service on a full charge (linked to Garmin GPS, not used for music or phone), I already noticed a shorter "life" during TMAC.

Could stretch it by hooking the unit up to the USB charger on the bike during stops.

But now the unit quits working after 1 hour. Preceded by short beeps, the units dies.

I've contacted DEALEXTREME sales department. Let's see what they come back with.

• 4 weeks later...

I sent a friend that link. He bought it. Feedback: Crap! Won't buy if knowing its quality.

Anyone has used this:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/hurob-hsb-s100/#.T1294nF6Cis.facebook

Archived