breaking the bead

panamawing

• Member Contributer

Just a heads up for you do it your self tire changers. DO NOT do what I did on my last tire change.

For some reason on my last tire change the front tire bead was being stubborn and didn't want to break. Long story short, I tweaked the front right brake rotor breaking the bead. Just wasn't being careful. The caliper started moving and clicking alittle bit as the tire rotated. Didn't think too much of it, but after a few thousand miles this spring, the caliper movement and clicking got alot worse, affecting my braking feel and performance.

I never removed the rotors when changing tires before, but considering removing next time around. Anybody remove their rotors when changing tires?

Found a used rotor and all is well. Nice solid, smooth braking once again! Should of corrected this, well a few thousand miles ago.

• Member Contributer

Good info, thanks for posting. Next time, try rotating or flipping the wheel and break at another spot; some beads seem to be almost glued to the rim. My assumption is the longer the tires have been mounted (miles, time, heat cycles) and sidewall stiffness (touring vs sport), the harder they are.

Mounting mine on a pallet gave me an unintentional benefit of having a soft wood surface for the rotor to lay on. I also lay a towel (removed for pic) over the HF metal bottom to avoid scratches.

IMG_0529.jpg

• Member Contributer

Tweaked it with the breaker bar or did you have the rotor touching the ground? Lay the wheel on 2 two-by-fours on each side so the rotor never contacts the ground.

Tweaked it with the breaker bar or did you have the rotor touching the ground? Lay the wheel on 2 two-by-fours on each side so the rotor never contacts the ground.

This.

• Member Contributer
Lay the wheel on 2 two-by-fours on each side so the rotor never contacts the ground.

This is the way I do it, and haven't done any rotor or wheel damage in the process.

Archived