iphone as gps

Guest danmurphymn

Guest danmurphymn

I've been tossing around the idea of getting a GPS for my bike. I don't really NEED it but I would like it. I've already been in a few situations where it definately would have been helpful. I am also tossing around the idea of upgrading my phone to the Iphone. I'd have to buy a data plan at that point so I figured I'd ask if I can kill two birds with one stone. Does anyone use the Iphone as their GPS? If so, how does it work?

I've been tossing around the idea of getting a GPS for my bike. I don't really NEED it but I would like it. I've already been in a few situations where it definately would have been helpful. I am also tossing around the idea of upgrading my phone to the Iphone. I'd have to buy a data plan at that point so I figured I'd ask if I can kill two birds with one stone. Does anyone use the Iphone as their GPS? If so, how does it work?

A few comments... My title at work is 'technologist' and I'm a gadget geek. I've got a Zumo 550 on the bike which works well. I'd really like the latest Zumo, and I like Garmin as a company, but I can no longer justify spending that much money on a single-function device.

Engadget recently posted reviews of different iPhone GPS apps - CoPilot won best bang-for-the-buck (30 day trial, $30 to buy). It works well when driving, but it would not make a good motorcycle GPS. First of all, the iPhone's touch screen doesn't work with gloves on smile.gif. Text is too small to be safe when riding, interface is less than ideal for keeping your eyes on the road. I wouldn't want my iPhone hard-mounted to the bike ... it's not waterproof, etc.

I'd recommend a used Zumo 450 or 550 instead.

(the iphone is still an awesome phone and I recommend it, I just don't think it would also fill the need for a motorcycle GPS)

• Member Contributer

If you're traveling or just exploring your neck of the woods, then Zumo is the bomb.

However, sounds like you don't plan on doing much of either. If you're lost and just need to know how to get there, you can stop, remove gloves, pull out your iPhone and look it up. iPhone would be perfect for that.

Anything else, you need a real GPS.

If you still like the idea of having a GPS while riding, you don't really need to shell out a grand for the new Zumo. I use Nuvi 450, which I bought for my car about 5 or 6 years ago. You can buy it new on eBay for about $50 with the latest maps and you will have yourself 75% of the functionality of Zumo.

Just don't forget a ziplock bag if it rains. wink.gif

• Member Contributer

Not sure about your phone needs, but if GPS is a major reason for getting a smartphone, then it will be much cheaper to just buy a low end GPS

Figure $100 for the phone, $150 for a year's data plan, so around $250 for a year. Like Rice said, a simple, 'I'm lost, where the heck am I' GPS will only run you $50-$100, and they'll work with gloves on.

If you're traveling or just exploring your neck of the woods, then Zumo is the bomb.

However, sounds like you don't plan on doing much of either. If you're lost and just need to know how to get there, you can stop, remove gloves, pull out your iPhone and look it up. iPhone would be perfect for that.

Anything else, you need a real GPS.

If you still like the idea of having a GPS while riding, you don't really need to shell out a grand for the new Zumo. I use Nuvi 450, which I bought for my car about 5 or 6 years ago. You can buy it new on eBay for about $50 with the latest maps and you will have yourself 75% of the functionality of Zumo.

Just don't forget a ziplock bag if it rains. wink.gif

I have been doing lots of research because I plan on using my Iphone as a GPS. I currently use it in the car. I purchased a steering stem mount from Ram, with an aquabox. The steering stem mount from ram should soften the vibration and the aquabox should keep it dry. Then I plan on buying a chatterbox blue tooth which will recieve the instructions from the Megellan that is installed on the Iphone. I wish I had a way to get past the touch screen, but the good part about the Megellan is there is a function that accesses the IPOD while it is running and will play the Ipod through the blue tooth as well. Point is shouldn't need to look at the screen.

My mount should arrive tomorrow or Friday. I will let you know how it works out. I don't have the chatterbox yet though, so can't test it all the way yet.

• Member Contributer

The iPhone comes with a real time google maps app. There are some free gps apps too but they are, of course, neutered to get you to buy the full version. If you need to be "spoon fed" turn by turn directions, a dedicated GPS is the way to go preferably with bluetooth helmet speaker. If you just need to know where you are and how far to the next town, etc the iPhone will work just fine plus you can make calls if you get really lost. :biggrin:

It's been brought up in a couple of recent gps threads that non-motorcycle specific units don't last from the extreme conditions one encounters while riding; specifically it's the vibration these more delicate electronic devices can't handle. I stick my iPhone in the map pocket of the tankbag.

My wife has an gps app on hers that's more geared to hiking. It will trace the route on a map, give you elapse time and speed, etc but works well for riding too. If you're exploring new roads and like what you've found, you can take a picture of something special/memorable, stick a "pin" of the location on the map, save the session and then email it to yourself or others. It's mind boggling the things you can do with these devices.

There's an iPhone motorcycle specific app thread; hopefully it's still around.

• Member Contributer

I have both and I would use the Iphone in a pinch, but it would not be a good long term solution. Get a cheap GPS as others have mentioned.

The iphone data plan will cost you $240 (first gen) and $360 (2nd and 3rd gen) yearly for the data plan (US market). GPS is a one time cost. One other thing to consider, unless you have the unlimited voice plan, when using iphone's apps you are also using up your minutes during peek hours (data download is free, but your still paying for airtime).

I have to concur with the others on most of the drawbacks.

I used my iphone as a "pocket" GPS for a while.

I'd pull over if I was lost and consult it and the biggest PIA was having to remove my gloves.

I considered buying one of the GPS apps but the glove issue make me perish the thought.

MY SO bought be my Zumo 550 and I haven't looked back. :biggrin:

Best of luck in your search!

Stay Safe!

• Member Contributer

Besides the previously mentioned weather/button issues, seems to me a smartphone/iPhone would have limitations when you are out of the cell. Especially if you are using apps such as google. Perhaps this is not a problem back east but is still a problem when off the slab in the western "outback".

2430680950099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

From what I see the best low cost alternative for MCs looks like the nuvi 500/550 series.

• Member Contributer

Besides the previously mentioned weather/button issues, seems to me a smartphone/iPhone would have limitations when you are out of the cell. Especially if you are using apps such as google. Perhaps this is not a problem back east but is still a problem when off the slab in the western "outback".

True but if you get lost in places like that with only one road for hundreds of miles, you deserve it! :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

True but if you get lost in places like that with only one road for hundreds of miles, you deserve it! :biggrin:

Ok you forced my hand..................it could be worse...Off the grid and out of gas in West Texas. And still no cell!!!

2642042370099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

• Member Contributer

I use my Iphone as a GPS most of the time. I have the IGO Myway app and it suffices most of the time. I have a RAM Mount on my Heli-Bars and have no problem accessing it. If you want to waterproof it, you buy an Aquabox. I have the Powerlet cord for it so it'll always have power.

As far as being in remote locations, the app does not need cell coverage. It uses GPS satellites. You do not need an unlimited voice plan...no bearing on the data side. The unlimited data plan is the way to go. Now while I am in cell coverage, it's also nice to use because I have the app, Pocket Tunes, which allows me access to my Sirius subscription ($3.99/month).

The only limitations on most Iphone apps is that it's pretty much a point A to point B application. With mine, you can add 1 waypoint. When I want to plan out a route, I'll use my Nuvi 765T.

The Iphone app also allows you access to your Ipod functions so you can listen to your music while you're riding.

I don't know if it's because my leather gloves are thin but when my Iphone is in the cradel, I can access it normally. Full access to to the touch screen. Textile gloves or if it's in the Aquabox, it won't work.

Would I rely on this for a coast to coast trip? Maybe, but with some maps to augment it, just in case. I bought my Nuvi 765T for about $225 and would use this as my primary long distance GPS. It has bluetooth so I can sync my Iphone to it and it also has an MP3 player so your tunes are also with you.

Hope this helps.

• Member Contributer

Looks like IGO Myway is not dependent on downloading maps to run. This is good for remote areas and solves the cell access issue unlike web systems like Google.. But of course you have to pay for it... . Will the phone hold the entire USA map database? How large an area will it hold?

In the past, I looked at Garmins phone app as well...another possible option but I have not read any reviews. Mapsource certainly does not get rave marks for its UI.

I did one tour with a GPS phone and it worked ok (download maps via cell) but has limitations but how many gadgets and freaking batteries can we carry???? The perfect GPS is like the perfect bike..........depends on what you use it for :laughing6-hehe:

I use my Iphone as a GPS most of the time. I have the IGO Myway app and it suffices most of the time. I have a RAM Mount on my Heli-Bars and have no problem accessing it. If you want to waterproof it, you buy an Aquabox. I have the Powerlet cord for it so it'll always have power.

As far as being in remote locations, the app does not need cell coverage. It uses GPS satellites. You do not need an unlimited voice plan...no bearing on the data side. The unlimited data plan is the way to go. Now while I am in cell coverage, it's also nice to use because I have the app, Pocket Tunes, which allows me access to my Sirius subscription ($3.99/month).

The only limitations on most Iphone apps is that it's pretty much a point A to point B application. With mine, you can add 1 waypoint. When I want to plan out a route, I'll use my Nuvi 765T.

The Iphone app also allows you access to your Ipod functions so you can listen to your music while you're riding.

I don't know if it's because my leather gloves are thin but when my Iphone is in the cradel, I can access it normally. Full access to to the touch screen. Textile gloves or if it's in the Aquabox, it won't work.

Would I rely on this for a coast to coast trip? Maybe, but with some maps to augment it, just in case. I bought my Nuvi 765T for about $225 and would use this as my primary long distance GPS. It has bluetooth so I can sync my Iphone to it and it also has an MP3 player so your tunes are also with you.

Hope this helps.

Check out the CoPilot app for navigation it seems to take many way points. Also I have the sirius app on the phone, but I have not tried using it. Does that require cell coverage or will just sat coverage be enough. That is the point of sat radio right?

• Member Contributer

Hope this helps.

Check out the CoPilot app for navigation it seems to take many way points. Also I have the sirius app on the phone, but I have not tried using it. Does that require cell coverage or will just sat coverage be enough. That is the point of sat radio right?

• Member Contributer

Someone may correct me on this, but isn't the location system used in the iPhone dependent on a cellular signal rather than satellite like a standard GPS unit. I had though that Apple/AT&T used more of a triangulation of cell towers to provide a location for the unit (which i think is now required on all cell phones for emergency purposes).

Using an iPhone or Droid may work out fine for occasional use in a cage, but on a bike, in out of the way places and in foul weather I'd stick with a Zumo and have the phone linked via BT for any communication needs.

• Member Contributer

Unfortunately, to get satellite radio on your Iphone you need cell coverage. The broadcasts are streamed to the phone. Now if the phone had a Sirius receiver built in that would be a different story, but it doesn't.

• Member Contributer

The Iphone is GPSa (GPS assisted). It has an actual Gps chip built in. You are correct that it also uses cell towers for location based services. It's just the order it uses them in. If there are cell towers present then that's used, if not it can use Gps satellites to get your location.

That's why some navigation apps are more expensive. The less expensive or per monthly fee ones do not include any maps. Everyhing is constantly being downloaded. That's greAt for being up to date, but dependent on cell reception.

The one I use, you download the entire map and it's not dependent on cell coverage. It's like a PND, you download map updates quarterly or yearly.

• Member Contributer

CoPilot NA is horrible. It might be better on the 3Gs than the 3G but it's a buggy, crashy, slow an unintuitive program. Oh, and the maps suck something horrible.

I would have thought that the company that is so big into commercial trucking GPS's would be able to make a decent map for the GPS or have menu buttons and such that worked like a normal GPS (read Garmin) where you can intuitively figure things out without needing a manual to figure out how to do what you are trying to do.

Nope. I wish I could get my money back on that program.

Horrible. The TomTom app might be better. I was too impatient for it to come out so I went with CoPilot NA. 4 thumbs down.

• Member Contributer

I use my iPhone as a "where am I?" type of GPS. Normally I'll figure out where I'm going beforehand, and either print out directions or a map of the area. Now, if I get turned around and end up not knowing exactly where I am, I can pull over, pull out the iPhone, locate myself and figure out how to get back to wherever I'm going.

Note that if you're using the Googlemaps app that comes on the iPhone, you DO need cell coverage. True, the GPS locator does not need coverage, and using the GPS satellites, it will drop a marker pin in your exact location. HOWEVER, the maps are downloaded off of the cell network, so if you're out of cell range, you'll have a little dot marking exactly where you are, but no map to reference where that is. This can be remedied by downloading a GPS program to the phone ($) that saves the maps in the phone's memory.

If you're looking for something that you can set up on your dash and use it as a turn-by-turn guide along your entire route, then you'll probably be wanting a for-real GPS unit.

• Member Contributer

I have a Garmin Nuvi 680 I've had since this model was first introduced. It is not a motorcycle specific unit, yet I've put over 10,000 motorcycling miles on it over all kinds of roads and in all types of weather, and it's still going strong. Based on my experience, I wouldn't worry too much about using an auto GPS on your bike. Mine has taken the vibration and jarring without complaint. It's even been in the rain, though I wouldn't recommend that kind of abuse.

Now that I've said this, I'm sure Murphy is hard at work right now to prove me wrong next time I take the bike out for a ride.

(the iphone is still an awesome phone and I recommend it, I just don't think it would also fill the need for a motorcycle GPS)

Another Giz reader, nice!

But I have to agree. The iPhone works great as a GPS, but I don't know how it'd be on a bike. There's a free Turn by Turn iPhone app, don't recall the name but think it's only been released for America. Giz (or Engadget, forget which) spoke highly of it.

You could always try it out, you never know until you try. smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I use the iPhone with the TomTom GPS app and mount it in my tank bag made by JOE ROCKET... Hammerhead Tank Bag

These tank bags are small magnetic types, that have two (2) clear pockets mounted on-top for both GPS and mobile phone.

Keeps all your electronics in clear view, waterproof and comes with you when you leave your bike. The tank bag provides vibration insultion to the iPhone as well.

Just mount a "POWERLET" socket in the fairing to power everything.

Warren

post-16600-127293605108.jpg

• Member Contributer

Hi Guys,

I use the iPhone with the TomTom GPS app and mount it in my tank bag made by JOE ROCKET... Hammerhead Tank Bag

These tank bags are small magnetic types, that have two (2) clear pockets mounted on-top for both GPS and mobile phone.

Keeps all your electronics in clear view, waterproof and comes with you when you leave your bike. The tank bag provides vibration insultion to the iPhone as well.

Just mount a "POWERLET" socket in the fairing to power everything.

Warren

So do you listen to directions or do just pull the iPhone out when you need it? Looks like it would be difficult to see and can you operate it thru the clear protection.

• Member Contributer

My droid's gps and google maps on it is VERY accurate. As in 3 feet spot on. The only reason I dont use it as a gps on my bike is it is my life line. I can't have it flying away from me or breaking.

Archived