iphone as gps

Guest danmurphymn

• Member Contributer

My droid's gps and google maps on it is VERY accurate. As in 3 feet spot on. The only reason I dont use it as a gps on my bike is it is my life line. I can't have it flying away from me or breaking.

My Droid seems to be spot on also. I haven't had a chance to thoroughly test it out yet but plan to give it a try on the bike. Have you tried Instamapper? http://www.instamapper.com/

I've been using a 10 year old Garmin eTrex that works great to tell you where you are if you get a little lost. Other than one serious rainstorm that killed it for a few hours it's been unbreakable. You can probably get them on eBay for less than $10.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

My droid's gps and google maps on it is VERY accurate. As in 3 feet spot on. The only reason I dont use it as a gps on my bike is it is my life line. I can't have it flying away from me or breaking.

My Droid seems to be spot on also. I haven't had a chance to thoroughly test it out yet but plan to give it a try on the bike. Have you tried Instamapper? http://www.instamapper.com/

I've been using a 10 year old Garmin eTrex that works great to tell you where you are if you get a little lost. Other than one serious rainstorm that killed it for a few hours it's been unbreakable. You can probably get them on eBay for less than $10.

My 10 or so year old Garmin eTrex Legend just died on me. I think I got my money's worth! Thinking about what to replace it with. Mostly useful as a trip computer/speedometer, but map gave me an idea where I was and where the road led.

• Member Contributer

My 10 or so year old Garmin eTrex Legend just died on me. I think I got my money's worth! Thinking about what to replace it with. Mostly useful as a trip computer/speedometer, but map gave me an idea where I was and where the road led.

Just died?

I'd try everything to get it going again, up to and including trying to flash the latest update to the ROM from Garmin.

My 15+ y/o Garmin GPS12 is still going strong. It has no maps whatsoever, but it is damn accurate. Works great for geocaching.

Modern GPS's have lots of bells and whistles, but the older ones are much more robust and accurate IMHO.

• Member Contributer

Just died?

I'd try everything to get it going again, up to and including trying to flash the latest update to the ROM from Garmin.

My 15+ y/o Garmin GPS12 is still going strong. It has no maps whatsoever, but it is damn accurate. Works great for geocaching.

Modern GPS's have lots of bells and whistles, but the older ones are much more robust and accurate IMHO.

Was working fine one day. Went to turn it on a couple weeks later and get nothing. If I turn on the back light, it looks like The Matrix...

• Member Contributer

I don't have the chatterbox yet though, so can't test it all the way yet.

Luckily it appears that you have NOT yet bought a Chatterbox and I'd advise against it. My cousin and uncle had a pair of them and they were HORRIBLE for reliability, and even more so if it happened to rain. We talked at a show with a dealer that sold them and even he said they were JUNK and HE WAS SELLING THEM! He said that OVER HALF of them ended up going back in for repairs.

At the time I did not have any type of system but was in the market. He pointed me to an offering by "IMC" which was a German made product that he sold. While possibly not Autocom type of quality, it did not have an Autocom type of pricetag either and has been quite reliable over the 8 years that I've now owned the unit. The dealer that I talk of is online, google "Sierra Electronics" if you are interested, and I do NOT have any relations/connections to this vendor other then I think he is a standup guy.

Hi Guys and Girls,

Here is a forum link to my new iPhone / Navigon Mobile GPS App.

This has to be the best iPhone mounting system on a VFR along with a power supply system for the iPhone.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/59098-iphone-mounts/page__p__704924__fromsearch__1entry704924

Warren

Archived