New GIVI quick release rack for 6th gen

swimmer

• Member Contributer

IMG_0756.jpg

GIVI has a new rack available for the 6th gen. It's a quick release rack for use with the PLX cases (V35). It supposed to hug the rear closer than the standard PLX rack. (although I did mod mine a bit to bring things in closer) I can't find any pictures of it yet. Although I leave my cases on all the time I would like a better option of getting them off fast without leaving behind an exposed rack.

Anyone have any additional data on this? I emailed twisted throttle hoping to get more info. I'll probably call GIVI USA on monday.

My link

• Member Contributer

I purchased the V35 with the quick release system. It is currently in the back order status with a release date of Jan 20/10. I can post photos/mounting directions when I get it.

This is where i ordered from http://www.sporttour.com/ Check them out. Best prices i could find and free shipping too. Plus the customer service is great. Part of my order was backordered and they offered to next day air it for free if i was in a hurry.

These will work with the top case bracket FZ166. I have that also but it isn't installed in the pics. The PLX-166 is the non removable and the PLX-R-166 is what is pictured below.

This pic is with the brackets (PLX-R) installed. Looks pretty clean

IMG_0752.jpg

This pic is with the case bracket installed. The black bolt looking things are the mounting points. The PLX-R comes with the tool to attach. Quarter turn on each and they snap in place. Pretty slick.

IMG_0753.jpg

Rear view of the brackets. The piece below the plate is supposed to be bolted onto the factory plate location. With the fe kit there is no where for it to bolt to. Looking at the factory fender it would not support much weight. I believe this piece is here mainly to have the two cases push against each other.

IMG_0754.jpg

Side view with the case on

IMG_0755.jpg

Rear view with the case on. Sorry about only one case and crappy quality of pic. But with where bike is in the garage its the best i could do.

IMG_0756.jpg

• Member Contributer

Looks Nice.

Wow, the inside of your exhaust is even shiny.

Today is warm for Jan and Greensburg closeby.

PM if you want to get that rwb vfr dirty.

thanks, Doug

Looks Nice.

Wow, the inside of your exhaust is even shiny.

Today is warm for Jan and Greensburg closeby.

PM if you want to get that rwb vfr dirty.

thanks, Doug

lol inside of exhaust is shiny cause it only has 800 miles on it. Got it in Dec as a hold over. I would love to ride but putting 2 9 year olds on with me is a problem

We will have to hook up when the roads are a bit less sandy

• Member Contributer

gpd211, does the piece that ties the two sides together (below the plate) come off when you "quick release" the system?

From those pictures, the cases do not seem to fit closer to the exhausts than my modified version of the PLX rack.

Thanks a lot for posting those pictures. Unless you've had the cases on another motorcycle they seem like a new acquisition for you. After 3 years of owning mine and near daily use I can tell you they hold up very well.

the piece below the plate is supposed to be mounted behind the plate and would remain on the bike with the stock fender. on my bike it comes off and the two tabs in the first pic are all that are on my bike

How does the top connector fit on the seat cowl? From your pics it looks like its attached to the grab handle??

Thanks

Nevermind - found the instructions in another post.....

the piece below the plate is supposed to be mounted behind the plate and would remain on the bike with the stock fender. on my bike it comes off and the two tabs in the first pic are all that are on my bike

Does that piece (below the plate) come with the kit? I have a fender eliminator and none of the original factor rear fender stuff. I already have the Givi Monolock E370 mounted and works well but need the V35's and want the removable mounting. If not I will have to fabricate something. Just wondering, Thanks!

• 7 months later...

post-16600-094916000 1284111329_thumb.jpHi Guys and Girls,

My GIVI V35 (G730) Side Cases and GIVI PLXR166 Quick Release Mounts just arrived today (10th Sept) straight from Italy ... far cheaper than buying in Australia or the USA.

I saved over AUD $400.00 after the shipping costs .... over the basic black V35 cases and PLX166 mounts ... and these are the more expensive V35 G730 cases and the more expensive

PLXR 166 mounts which would of added another AUD $280.00

I have found the instructions very straight forth and easy to follow, but these are "2008 VFR800 Instructions" and not the 2002-2008 VFR800 Instructions found else where ... maybe GIVI has changed

their instructions after negative comments received prior ??

Took a few inital photo's and will add more once mounted to bike.

Warren

post-16600-087776600 1284097658_thumb.jp

post-16600-046562700 1284097722_thumb.jp

post-16600-076790000 1284097777_thumb.jp

post-16600-072254500 1284097827_thumb.jp

post-16600-061825800 1284109581_thumb.jp

post-16600-014690400 1284109637_thumb.jp

post-16600-031399700 1284109675_thumb.jp

post-16600-041651000 1284109723_thumb.jp

post-16600-079109700 1284109768_thumb.jp

post-16600-023222100 1284109867_thumb.jp

post-16600-091015100 1284109931_thumb.jp

post-16600-089363800 1284109961_thumb.jp

post-16600-041977100 1284110000_thumb.jp

post-16600-080644200 1284110037_thumb.jp

post-16600-050874400 1284110095_thumb.jp

post-16600-019691500 1284111302_thumb.jp

post-16600-078783300 1284111401_thumb.jp

post-16600-007874400 1284111431_thumb.jp

post-16600-060569900 1284111483_thumb.jp

• Member Contributer

Hi Guys and Girls,

My GIVI V35 (G730) Side Cases and GIVI PLXR166 Quick Release Mounts just arrived today (10th Sept) straight from Ital ... far cheaper than buying in Australia or the USA.

Took a few inital photo's and will add more once mounted to bike.

Warren

Sad isn't it that it's cheaper to buy things O/S on the net than it is to purchase from local Australian distributers. I'd like to buy locally but these days I'm far more likely to purchase off the net than buy at the local dealer!

• 5 months later...

gpd211,

Nice write up I am going to purchase the same setup up I had one question being quick release is there any worry of someone stealing the bags/rack? Thanks in advance.

• Member Contributer
Sad isn't it that it's cheaper to buy things O/S on the net than it is to purchase from local Australian distributers. I'd like to buy locally but these days I'm far more likely to purchase off the net than buy at the local dealer!

Sorry to say it, but the scumbag distributors in Australia who've had it their way for a long time deserve everything that's coming to them.

Just witness the fact that tyres from JakeWilson.com are HALF the price it costs in Australia, including FedEx shipping! Asshats.

Sorry to say it, but the scumbag distributors in Australia who've had it their way for a long time deserve everything that's coming to them.

Just witness the fact that tyres from JakeWilson.com are HALF the price it costs in Australia, including FedEx shipping! Asshats.

nice write up im deciding, and saving either for a pair of these, or a set of oem honda white ones that match the bike, which i think i can get from teh uk for 800 + 200 shipping.

i supose these are around the 600 buck mark?

as for oz being a rip off, yes, we have teh highest taxed country int he world and ontop of that, they like to make a very healthy proffit

• Member Contributer

anyone know if these mounts will work with the factory bags? I like the quick release aspect.

• Member Contributer

anyone know if these mounts will work with the factory bags? I like the quick release aspect.

Honda OEM cases are not compatible with the Givi after market brackets (even though both are made by Givi).

• Member Contributer

Ugh! I hate threads like this! Now my old Givis and rack look tired and pathetic compared to this new system. Oh well...

Ugh! I hate threads like this! Now my old Givis and rack look tired and pathetic compared to this new system. Oh well...

Well I just finished installing the new rack with the quick disconnects (PLXR166) and I had to do some modifications to the rear bracket and the rear light and license plate holder. This was not a big issue as i like tinkering but not a straight bolt on application. Rack without the bags are not bad looking but take off the rack and it is extremly clean looking, however I am not sure how many times i would yank off the rack maybe for a track day. Still nice to have the option. I am going to get in the first ride with the new bags on the commute tomorrow, we shall see if i notice any difference in the handling. My biggest concern is the width (she's got a fat a$$ now, right at 40 inches from the outside of the bags) this should be fine for most with the exception of lane splitting (I love this about California).

• Member Contributer

Me too I all ready have a set up factory bags but really like the Givi's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gpd211,

Nice write up I am going to purchase the same setup up I had one question being quick release is there any worry of someone stealing the bags/rack? Thanks in advance.

You have to use the key to get the bag off. The rack "key" is a large triangle with a handle. I suppose if someone wanted to wedge a screwdriver in there they could steal the rack. The bags block the removal of the rack so they are going to do more damage than it's worth. Besides aren't all VFR riders fine upstanding citizens

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

That is the most informative "how to" video, verbally as well as visually, that I've ever seen. Thanks for your pics and the video link. I've got the Givi Tank lock tank tag with up to 22 liters and the Givi Blade top trunk with 47 liters for a total of 69 liters of storage. My original plan was to get the V35 hard bags but I found a great deal on the trunk and couldn't pass it up. I might be good with what I have since I usually travel solo and pack very light. Adding those hard bags would give me Buick-class storage ability! I need to do a practice-pack just to see where I stand. My '97 VFR had a tank bag, soft saddle bags, + a JCWhitney trunk that was usually empty with the exception of my BIG atlas and some tennis shoes. Seeing the width of those bags mounted seems like that would really eat into your gas mileage and act like a sail in severe cross winds. Who knows, maybe I'll still get them and then I could pack everything I own! Thanks again - great write-up.

Archived