GPS - Car vs Motorcycle

Chappy8

• Member Contributer

I've been doing some searching and have to find any conclusive evidence. Has anyone ever had a failure issue with a non motorcycle specific GPS due to your VFR or other bike(s) vibration? I'm thinking of using a Nuvi 765T or something similar along with an aquabox. The reason I ask is my wife bought me a TomTom Rider 2 for x-mas. It's a heck of a gift but I'm thinking I could go lower cost and get a better dual purpose GPS. Mainly looking for an internal speaker for use in the car w/o requiring a headset w/ bluetooth capabilities as well.

Let's hear your failures or successes...heck even recommendations are welcome.

Scott

• Member Contributer

I've used a cheep Tom Tom One for over a year and have had NO problems except glare.

• Member Contributer

I've been using my Garmin Nuvi 680 for well over three years now, and in all kinds of temperatures from freezing to 100F, and for hours in heavy rain with only a zip lock baggie over it for protection. It takes a licking and keeps on ticking!

Keep in mind, though, that the Nuvi models do not support Bluetooth headsets, so you won't have wireless voice commands to your headset like you would with the Zumo models. They do support Bluetooth phones, though.

• Member Contributer

Been using Nuvi 350 for 5 years w/o any issues.

Just have to remember to wrap it with plastic bag when it gets wet.

Actually met a guy on a GS Beemer who lost his Nuvi due to rain during one of the rides.

I've been doing some searching and have to find any conclusive evidence. Has anyone ever had a failure issue with a non motorcycle specific GPS due to your VFR or other bike(s) vibration? I'm thinking of using a Nuvi 765T or something similar along with an aquabox. The reason I ask is my wife bought me a TomTom Rider 2 for x-mas. It's a heck of a gift but I'm thinking I could go lower cost and get a better dual purpose GPS. Mainly looking for an internal speaker for use in the car w/o requiring a headset w/ bluetooth capabilities as well.

Scott

I have used the cheapo tomtom one for last 3 years, 40,000 miles so far, just took off the suction cup,hose clamped the base to my brake cylinder outlet and its been in the rain many times and cooked and flawless..I also use the tripmaster addon to give it the big speedo readout.

• Member Contributer

I've had a Tom Tom One (refurbished - eBay - cheap) mounted up all last summer (about 8k of miles) with no failure issues what-so-ever. Sometimes the suns glare can make it little difficult to see, all-in-all not that big a deal either. I do carry a plastic baggy and rubber band should it decide to rain on my parade. And the touch screen can be a little bit of a PITA with gloves. But it works well enough that I'm fairly certain that I'm going get rid of the One, and make my 930 that I use in the cage, a duel purpose unit.

Scott

I own a Nuvi 550 and used it extensively on the bike. Oh and btw, it's already WATERPROOF and I have used it many times in the rain...still ticking as they say.

Brian

• Forum CEO

Even the motorcycle specific gps has shortcommings. My zumo cradle took a dive and kept powering the unit off for Lee's Kansas meet. Garmin sent me a free zumo replacement when I sent then my old one. The new 660 has the pins on the back instead of the bottom where water can pool and corrode the leads. I would easily get lost on all the backroads I like to take without a gps, I love the darned thing its great. Saved my butt a couple of times when I was running out of gas out in the boonies and needed to get off route to find gas.

• Member Contributer

Even the motorcycle specific gps has shortcommings. My zumo cradle took a dive and kept powering the unit off for Lee's Kansas meet. Garmin sent me a free zumo replacement when I sent then my old one. The new 660 has the pins on the back instead of the bottom where water can pool and corrode the leads. I would easily get lost on all the backroads I like to take without a gps, I love the darned thing its great. Saved my butt a couple of times when I was running out of gas out in the boonies and needed to get off route to find gas.

+1 fing02.gif On saving me arse when almost out of gas, and more than once! I have to learn to get gas when I can, but I always seem to run down to the fumes before I'll even consider it.

Hi Guys,

I'm using a older model a 2610 that I got from the bay of fleas....{E-Bay} almost 5 years back it goes from my ST to my auto no problem. I have set up a ram mount on my VFR now and as soon as I acquire the harness I'll be using it on that one too....All the whistles and bells are fine if you are into that if you want basic nav ability the 2610 has done me well....and if its any concern for lonjevity it spent its first few "new" years on a DL1000 out west before coming to the east coast.....so all in all the build on Garmin is impressive to me, matched up with everything I have ever heard about their customer service ...Garmin is hard to beat.....

Rodm850g

I noticed a big difference between the Garman I got for my Sister and the TTR2 I have, which I took with us on a trip Sat. to a gun show about 80 miles away. We had both gps's running and the picture of the road on my TT was very detail as far as how tight the turns are vs's the Garman's, which showed the turns as more of a graceful sweep(we tried different zooms and not much change in the sweep). Also a few times got different course directions from each other(both were set on "fastest route").

I picked up a Megellan for cars It has been very handy. The few times I have missed the mark was more pilot error than equipment. I was too busy looking for the road signs rather than trusting the instrument. It's my first GPS and I was very reluctant to drop the big coin on a cycle specific model. I use the suction cup and it sucks right over the tach. After a little modification, the angle is just how I want it. I wired a lighter plug under my seat so I just plug into that and can use it in the car as well. I think you will be fine getting a car model, just have to protect it from the elements.

• Member Contributer

another TomTom one 125 owner here. Just toss and tie a ziplock back over it with the powercord for iffy weather. Not the greatest GPS, but it does the basics well, is cheap, and fairly fast. Just remember that the new OS (8.0 and greater) doesn't let you fiddle around with the software.

Archived