Forcefield Back Protector

BrittC

• Member Contributer

For some time now I have been interested in upgrading the back protection of my riding jacket. I spent many hours reading reviews and specs of various back protectors and decided that rather than buying the backpack style back protector, I would upgrade the back protector in my jacket.

I realize that the backpack style back protector is probably more effective than the jacket type, but I had to be honest with myself in that I would probably not end up putting on this extra item on hot days. I never ride without my jacket, so if the armor is already in it I won't have to think about it.

My research led me to the ForceField Back Insert Pro. Forcefield Body Armour | Forcefield Upgrade Performance Back Inserts

There are several selling points listed on the site:

# Available as a Level 2(Pro) product for ultimate protection, or Level 1 (Sport) product (I bought the Pro version)

# 3 sizes available, giving a choice of 6 variants (I bought Medium)

# Optimum performance

# Repeat performance technology

# Comfortable and non restrictive

# Breathable

# Lightweight

# Flexible

# Moulds to your body shape

By far the cheapest source for this was on Ebay. I ended up getting it for $85.00 from a "Make an Offer" auction - versus $125.00 from several online vendors.

When it arrived I was very impressed with the ruggedness and build quality of the back protector. It feels very tough, yet flexible, and seems like it should hold up really well in the event of a mishap (knock on wood!).

DSC07640.jpg

Unfortunately the back protector did not simply drop into the back protector pocket of my jacket. Here you can see the Forcefield back protector next to the Cortech back pad. The Cortech item is a very cheap, flimsy piece of foam that would not do much in a crash. I suppose that if you took a nap on a picnic table the back pad would feel good on your spine....

DSC07644.jpg

They are pretty close in size but because the Forcefield is bulkier, the velcro closure for the jacket's back protector pocket would not close. In this picture you can see the pocket closed up with the Cortech back pad inside.

DSC07647.jpg

I solved this by trimming about 2 inches from the top of the back protector (the narrow end goes "up" in my jacket but I'm not sure about others). My band saw with a wood cutting blade went through it like butter, but a utility knife could also be used if necessary. Once trimmed down, the back protector fit into the pocket much better. The mesh material that makes up the pocket is snug, but not seam-ripping tight.

This morning was my first ride with the back protector in place, and I have no complaints about the feel. The extra material on my back is certainly noticeable but it caused no discomfort or any concerns. After a few minutes I forgot it was there.

There are lots of stories about riders experiencing back injuries our there on the various forums. Having a high quality back protector makes me feel a little more confident in my protective gear!

• Member Contributer

That looks/sounds pretty good. I wondered why the back protectors on jackets are so minimal. As far as I'm concerned, the more armor the better. As long as it doesn't cut down on flexibility. And I like that you did it with a Cortech jacket, as I have one also. Got me thinking now. Hmmmm.

Coincidence, I was re-reading UK's "Ride" mag, they reviewed back protectors, here's their score;

Prices in pounds.

Forcefield Pro L2. Ride "Best buy", 29/30 points. £80.-90.

Held Recia. Ride "Recommended", 29/30 pts. £115.

Halvarssons Track "Recommended" 29/30 pts. £80.

Oxford Max Protection 27/30 £50-80

Alpinestars Bionic 20/30 £90.

Knox Contour 19/30 £100.

Hein Gericke Hiprotec 17/30 £60.

Dainese Wave 17/30 £100.

Skipped a few, but you get the idea.

-I have a 661 "pressure suit" armor thing. $100. Hey stare all you want, this has a size "nerd" back protector and great ventilation. Can't stand the heat.

one more PLUS 1 for the forcefield.....back and chest protector...wear on the track and the street. love it and it is VERY comfortable and the protection is supposed to be Tops!

:goofy: Forcefield makes great stuff! I've got the Full back protector and I love it. Can't ride without it now.

I've also got the underarmor shirt with elbow, shoulder, and chest armor too. Plus a separate chest protector piece for the track.

Archived