Continued Problems After Carb Clean

Guest pmucka

whats up everyone,

I finally cleaned the carbs, and got 'em back on the bike. I got everything hooked back up, put the battery back in after sitting on the tender and fired her up. The bike cranked and kicked over into idle at around 1200rpm with full choke. I let it run, and she blew a little smoke, nothing crazy though, just warming up. As the bike began to warm, the idle speed slowly went up, and I pulled back the choke after the engine had reach temperature, expecting it to die like before. BUT the bike hung out at idle at 1500k, and didnt even die after some generous throttle application. Called it a day, packed up the tools and caught the last few laps of WSBK. This morning I went down for a celebratory ride to class, and she started back up, and was performing the same as the day before. But after about 3 minutes of idling around 3krpm at half choke, she just slowed down to barely a crawl and died on me (****). So now I will be going home to check it out some more.

The possible things I am looking into:

Fouled plugs

As evidenced by: The fact that my rear left cylinder does not warm up as fast as my others, possibly a wet foul that goes away when the engine is at temperature?

Needs to be Synched:

I don't really have a way of doing this right now, but I suppose it is more than possible that this is the problem, as I did just take off the carbs.

Shot CDI:

I have mentioned this before, as the previous owner mentioned it to me. They could be shot? who knows, the intermittent nature of the bike problem makes me wonder though. I wont be dealing with this until everything else has been checked.

Other things that worry me:

Strange rattle at idle that goes away about 3krpm

thanks in advance,

P

• Member Contributer
The possible things I am looking into:

Fouled plugs

As evidenced by: The fact that my rear left cylinder does not warm up as fast as my others, possibly a wet foul that goes away when the engine is at temperature?

Needs to be Synched:

I don't really have a way of doing this right now, but I suppose it is more than possible that this is the problem, as I did just take off the carbs.

Shot CDI:

I have mentioned this before, as the previous owner mentioned it to me. They could be shot? who knows, the intermittent nature of the bike problem makes me wonder though. I wont be dealing with this until everything else has been checked.

I'd suggest doing a carb sync first. The cylinder not warming up is probably due to this. A fouled plug, or plugs, is not out of the question either so you might try pulling them out at least for an inspection. I kind of doubt that it's the CDI because both cylinders in each bank get spark at the same time (wasted spark, remember) so if one is firing the other one is probably firing too.

You should start with the obvious first, which to me is the sync, and then proceed from there. Let us know what you find out!

• Member Contributer

Fast idle is often a sign of an air leak in the intake manifolds. Phantom air could be getting in from a bad seal or a crack in the rubber. Check that by lightly spraying some carb cleaner around the intakes. If the idle changes, look for the leak.

Be careful with that spraying so you don't run into "other" problems.

Do you have an idle adjustment screw type thingy that you can turn while sitting at a stop-light? Perhaps that became loose at the bike was idling. I have to periodically adjust mine, and this might be something for you to check, as you might need to reset the adjustment as you've had the carbs off.

The left rear cylinder has a vacuum hose that connects from the intake manifold to the to the fuel petcock. If there's a leak in the hose, the left-rear cyclinder will run badly. Alternatively, if there's a leak in the petcock diaphragm, that cylinder will suck in raw fuel directly from the tank.

• 3 weeks later...

THE engine could haved died from use of too much choke for too long a period.

Always turn choke off as soon as possible, and use idle adjustment screw--not the choke-- to get a fast idle.

Unnecessary use of choke can foul plugs, increase wear on pistons, rings and cylinders, dilute oil with fuel.

• 2 years later...

I cleaned my carbs very well on my 86 vf500r and i cant even get it to run with out starting fluid. Is there any vacuum hoses or anything i might be missing as to why it wont start without a shot of starting fluid. ?

Archived