Comparison Of Tires

spud786

Since you still have a good BT rear, just pop an original Ppower on the front .

Thats what I would do, no sense in wasting good rubber

The front Ppowers, give a performance level and life, I never bother with anything else. Or thats the conclusion I came to a few years ago.

As to your question the road2 offers guanteed 20% more life over every sport tour tire on the market.

What front tire was he running with the BT 21 rear at the time?

Performance wise, the PPower front /BT 21 rear combo is very well matched, and is more agile than the Ppwer front , proad 2 combo, including rain traction level.

Having run several sets of both packages, in all conditions IMO

But I see your point, if your friend has spoken . If I knew the the Power rear would give the BT life, I might try on the VFR. Sounds like you were real close on miles between ppower rear and strada rear. But were probably able to run the PPower rear sub wear bar. Where a strada starts chunking steel >G<goofy.gif

PP fronts are kind of our standard! :fing02:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

FWIW, Spud, I've run BT021's but not ever again. They grip and handle very well for the first half of the tread life then the handling gets downright dangerous, IMO. The front 021 will not last for 2 rears for me.

And, so you won't feel so bad, the ONLY kind of rear of any kind of tire I can get over 2200 miles on is the PR2CT that's on my bike now. It's wearing great right now, but the set of PR2CT's handle like a boxcar....suck bad.

Also, that Motorex Chain Lube you put me on has made my VFR 23% faster and the chain seldom needs to be re-lubed.... :fing02: :laugh:

Bent,

Clarification,

Nobody is talking BT21 front from this camp, its pretty obvious to me, the front BT kills the entire package, of an otherwise very proficent rear tire. Dont touch the BT21 frontgoofy.gif just say NO!

I've never ran the BT 21 front, because of this view.

• Member Contributer

When I burn the BT21's off, I am leaning towards the PR2 for the new set. Not a speeder / drag the knee kind of rider. I just like to get there. AND SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET GOD ALMIGHTY, the snow is melting.

• Member Contributer

Bent,

Clarification,

Nobody is talking BT21 front from this camp, its pretty obvious to me, the front BT kills the entire package, of an otherwise very proficent rear tire. Dont touch the BT21 frontgoofy.gif just say NO!

I've never ran the BT 21 front, because of this view.

10-4. I have Rosetta Stone on order for English.... :goofy:

MetzelerSportecM5Intetract_5.jpg

The new Metzeler sportecs now come with a high tech lean indicator, how cool is that?

:goofy:

I would be wiping the feet off the elephant, don't know what use the numbers would be around here! tongue.gif

I guess you FL boyz could use them for exit ramp railing! :blink:

• Member Contributer

MetzelerSportecM5Intetract_5.jpg

The new Metzeler sportecs now come with a high tech lean indicator, how cool is that?

:goofy:

I would be wiping the feet off the elephant, don't know what use the numbers would be around here! tongue.gif

I guess you FL boyz could use them for exit ramp railing! :blink:

+1.gif

Wouldn't be hard to kill the elephant around here. :wheel:

Anyone know how the new Metzler is? The Z6 sucked big time! :491:

Bent

Is the new Z6 the sister of that perilli analee ? I highly suspect it is, but not really following it

The reviews I saw, show the analee not quite as good as the original Strada, but maybe a little extra life.

• Member Contributer

Bent

Is the new Z6 the sister of that perilli analee ? I highly suspect it is, but not really following it

The reviews I saw, show the analee not quite as good as the original Strada, but maybe a little extra life.

I don't really know but wouldn't be surprised. I meant to nose around the Metzler site and others today but haven't gotten a "roundtoit".

To sum up my feelings on tires right now.....I just wish someone made a dual compound tire set that lasted like the PR2CT but handled much better.

To sum up my feelings on tires right now.....I just wish someone made a dual compound tire set that lasted like the PR2CT but handled much better.

)))))))))))))))))))))

Yeh, I know what ya mean its like a full 20% extra life I chose happiness over tire lifebiggrin.gif

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I've got about 5.5k miles on my Pilot Powers (front and rear). I'm practically at the wear bars, but want to see how much more I can get out of them before I mount my next set of PPs from Tires Unlimited (I'm thinking I'll get about 500 to 1k more miles out of the rear; not going to push it though). The wear is excellent: the rear is showing symmetrical wear all around. The grip is amazing; I've never lost grip on all the twisty roads around San Diego County. I ride the twisties aggressively every weekend; everything from tight and technical hairpins to 100 mph sweepers. I ride some slab and back country roads. I keep the air pressures at 35-36 front and 40-42 rear.

These are the best tires I've ever had, and I've run Pilot Road 2s, the PP front and PR2 combo, Dunlop Roadsmarts, and Bridgestone BT-021s. I'm considering installing some Conti Road Attacks, but worry about the drop in performance. We'll see if that ever comes to fruition.

Don't know how some of you cook a set in 2.5k miles. Guess I must not ride that hard after all.

Are you pulling more life out of PPOwer rear, than BT21 rear?

I'm back to running a Power front with a Proad 2 rear, simply cause I need the life, but its a slower package, I much prefer the power front , Bt21 rear package performance wise.

• Member Contributer

Are you pulling more life out of PPOwer rear, than BT21 rear?

I'm back to running a Power front with a Proad 2 rear, simply cause I need the life, but its a slower package, I much prefer the power front , Bt21 rear package performance wise.

To tell you the truth, I can't really say much about the BT-021 rear, as this was the tire that was on the bike when I bought it and it had been run for a while with really low pressure, so it wasn't in the best shape. However, I don't think it would have given me much more than the power; it seemed like the center wore out really quickly.

I didn't like the PP front/ PR2 rear combo because of the wierd-feeling turn in. I used to mismatch tires all the time, but now I stick with the same tire front and rear, since profile similarities seem to be very important.

Not much of a mention here of Avon Storms or Vipers. I've got Storms on at the moment (same rear as was fitted a couple of years back, and a newish front) and I really like them. Unlike all other tyres I've tried, they give great mileage and grip in all conditions, without exhibiting some of the things VFRs tend to do to front tyres especially, like uneven wear patterns.

The only problems I've had with them relate to my riding - I haven't done enough hard highway riding, and no trackdays, so the front developed a bit of a step to the point where I lean it furthest when commuting. This mean that on the few times I pushed a bit harder to lean in more, there was a slight initial reluctance then it tipped in quickly, so it felt a bot like it had lost traction. However, this only lasted a short while before they needed replacement to pass the next Warrant of Fitness inspection.

The rear tyre has started to get a litle hard, I think, because as I said, I haven't done enough hard highway riding, and no trackdays, so it's still got lots of tread, but has proabably done its heat cycles. It sometimes spins up a little now if I give it a handful of throttle on a tight corner. Nothing alarming, and it probably wouldn't do it if I was in some twisties as it would get more heat in it. It didn't do this until the last few months.

Archived