520 Conversion For 6th Gen?

gstanfield

• Member Contributer

Well, simple question. I was just wondering if anyone has done the 520 conversion and if so was there any noticable difference and was it worth doing? I know they make a decent amount of difference on some high revving, light weight bikes, but on these heavy relatively low rpm bikes I'm just curious if it's an actual improvement or just a way to spend some money for fun.

Thanks,

George

Guest onedowneaster

Hi George, Good question, I really dont know the answer but I think that it was talked about a few times in a previous thread. See what a search of that topic will get you.

Anyway going to a 520 chain and sprocket has to help at least a little, it would be easier for the bike to accelerate the lighter weight assembly,but I guess what you really want to

know is can you feel it in the " seat of your pants". ed

• Member Contributer

I think its just a case of "be like the racers" syndrome. I'm not even convinced an aluminum sprocket is necessary on a streetbike VFR. That's just me, of course...

• Member Contributer

I haven't seen any noticeable difference. Price was the same as the 530 kit and the RK 520 seems to be wearing fine over the first 4K miles.

I haven't seen any noticeable difference. Price was the same as the 530 kit and the RK 520 seems to be wearing fine over the first 4K miles.

4k time to replace them! :rolleyes:

j/k

Interested to see how long they last for you, I know aluminum sprockets seem to not stand up near as well as steel ones on any bike. :cool:

• Like 1

• Forum CEO

Unless your one of those guys who is looking to make the ultimate lite bike, squeezing out every ounce of wieght you can for some purpose only you can fathom - no its not. If you want your chain and sprockets to last stick with the 530!

you didnt save anything , 520's will not hold up on a vfr , go ahead and order a 530 and steel (now) for a back up

they barely hold up on 30 horse bikes

Edited by spud786

• Member Contributer

Cool, that pretty much sums up what I was thinking it would. With a bike this heavy the diff will not be noticable and will only result in lower life. I just had to ask. Right now I am runnign a 45 tooth steel rear instead of aluminum as I like things to last a long time and this is the first chain drive street bike I've had for quite some time now.

George

• Member Contributer

I ran a AFAM Al hard anodized rear sprocket with no complaints on wear. Sprocket still looked good when I took it off. Replaced it with a steel rear this time and do notice a bit more drive snatch off throttle to on. My guess is the 520 would be fine and maybe make the bike shift and accelerate smoother.

Is it worth it? For my riding I think I'd go with the stock fitment and lighter tri-metal rear sprocket next time. VFR is a street bike first and not the best track toy. So unless you are trying to convert it to a pure sport or track bike I'd steer away from the lighter/weaker setup.

Then again I'd like to see you do it and give a ride report to us. :cool: