Has Anyone Used The Motorcycle-superstore.com's Preferred Installer Program?

Luvmyvfr

• Member Contributer

I was just wondering if any of you out there had ever heard of or used the motrocycle-superstore's preferred installer program? Where you would order your tires through them, have them shipped to a local shop near you, and then you just ride in or take your wheels there and have them changed?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/819/M...-Installer.aspx

I know that lot's of shops here in IL won't change tires that they don't sell due to insurance reasons. So if you like saving money on tires online, you better be able to mount them yourself or know someone who can. Other wise you are stuck getting them from a dealership at insane retail prices + mounting and balancing fees!

Their program helps to bridge the gap between finding a good deal on your own and getting them installed!

I ask this question because I myself am looking into becoming a preferred installer in my own area!

Thanks for any input!

• Member Contributer
I was just wondering if any of you out there had ever heard of or used the motrocycle-superstore's preferred installer program? Where you would order your tires through them, have them shipped to a local shop near you, and then you just ride in or take your wheels there and have them changed?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/819/M...-Installer.aspx

I know that lot's of shops here in IL won't change tires that they don't sell due to insurance reasons. So if you like saving money on tires online, you better be able to mount them yourself or know someone who can. Other wise you are stuck getting them from a dealership at insane retail prices + mounting and balancing fees!

Their program helps to bridge the gap between finding a good deal on your own and getting them installed!

I ask this question because I myself am looking into becoming a preferred installer in my own area!

Thanks for any input!

I haven't used this program specifically, but have used the Tire Rack's program which is very similar.

You're still paying for the mount and balance, but you get the added convenience of not having to bring the parts (Tires, exhaust, whatever) with you. The price is listed on the M-S website, but you may find you are charged a different price when you get there, per the M-S FAQ.

• Member Contributer

Doing a couple of searches, all the preferred installers seem to only show the price including removing and reinstalling the wheel. If they are open to the idea of mounting tires bought online, I would imagine they would do it if you brought the wheels in only, but a call would confirm.

If you click on the More Info link for each installer you get more detailed information about rates, including the "bring in the wheels off the bike" mount and balance rate. I recently got tires mounted, and the shop is on their list (didn't know that ahead of time though). I was charged exactly what they listed for the "off the bike" rate.

• Member Contributer
If you click on the More Info link for each installer you get more detailed information about rates, including the "bring in the wheels off the bike" mount and balance rate. I recently got tires mounted, and the shop is on their list (didn't know that ahead of time though). I was charged exactly what they listed for the "off the bike" rate.

More Info...who woulda thunk it? :dry: Thanks

• Member Contributer
Never heard of it. I don't see the two or three dealers in my area participating - they make a killing on tire installs and selling at full MSRP. :dry:

My Kawasaki dealership here (where I order all my Honda parts from, thank you online micro-fiche!) won't touch tires that customers didn't buy from them...they say it's all liability insurance. And there not B-S me, I'm one of the few they let into the back room. I even once installed my own body panels with their tools just so I didn't have to drive a cage there to bring stuff home. They agree that they would like to mount tires that customers don't get there, but they don't.

I want to catch all the riders who don't want to get robbed by dealer MSRP , but can't get them on themselves!

• Member Contributer

This is interesting. I have taken tires to two Suzuki dealers when I had my SV. I had called the Honda dealer, but they wouldn't do it with wheels on if it wasn't a Honda.

• Member Contributer

I have heard of it. Really don't get the point of it other than advertising local dealerships. You still need to bring the wheels to them, so all I really can understand is its just sending the tires directly to the dealership.

Just make the ride north to Door County WI and i'll mount them for you. :dry:

NO-MAR TIRE CHANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Member Contributer
I have heard of it. Really don't get the point of it other than advertising local dealerships. You still need to bring the wheels to them, so all I really can understand is its just sending the tires directly to the dealership.

That must mean you have a NO Mar??

I'm getting mine to pay for itself....and some! :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

I don't believe the insurance liability excuse. I could see them only touching new tires, but I don't see a liability difference between whether they sold you the tires or not.

I recently asked Cycle Gear about their prices. They told me they charged $20 each, if you bought the tires from them and $30 each if not.

I checked for the Preferred Installers in the Tucson, AZ area and found prices ranging from $20 to $75 per set if the customer brings wheels in loose. Bringing in the bike is as much as $160 per set. :dry:

• Member Contributer

That must mean you have a NO Mar??

I'm getting mine to pay for itself....and some! :biggrin:

Yup, I have a no-mar and never looked back. And this week I had two tire changes, that's 30 bones in my pocket!

• Member Contributer

I don't believe the insurance issue either. Irrational fear of patching and plugging tires, sure, but that's not insurance either. I've even had a shop tell me they wouldn't patch a tire, but they would sell me a tube to install on my 6th gen which would have gone into a Pirelli Diablo Strada (very much a tubeless tire) even though it wasn't the right size because "tubes can stretch a bit".

I can understand a shop not wanting to get sued but this is moronic. As for the installer program, I think I just found my next dealership to call when I need another set of tires mounted, will call with my PR2's are worn out if I'm still in town at that time.

• Member Contributer

Looking to buy a "unmatched" set of tires (PP front PR2 rear), I checked many sources including these guys who were basically tied with southwestmoto but have a "price beater" policy. Long story short: I had them in from southwest AND mounted before these clowns even responded to my email. I played along and it took nearly another week to get a better price (about $1). No thanks.

I don't believe the insurance liability excuse.
I don't believe the insurance issue either.

:blink:

Exactly how it is an insurance/liability issue I can't understand. Whether they sell you the tire or not, if they do a crappy job of mounting it and it causes a wreck it's still a crappy mounting job. And you can't tell me the dealership inspects every single tire in their inventory for any flaw that might cause a problem. It sounds like a feeble excuse to try to improve sales (although in this economy I can't say I blame them for that).

• Member Contributer
[snip]

I recently asked Cycle Gear about their prices. They told me they charged $20 each, if you bought the tires from them and $30 each if not.

[snip]

My local (if you can call it that seeing as it's in NJ) Cycle Gear said the same thing. I don't understand how offering two different prices for the same exact service is not illegal.

• Member Contributer
It sounds like a feeble excuse to try to improve sales (although in this economy I can't say I blame them for that).

What's better for them, for me to pay ~$50 to have a couple carry in tires mounted on carry in wheels, or for me to take to someone else that's easier to deal with?

As far as I can tell, motorcycle shops exist for emergency purposes or when I'm pretty sure I'll have to keep returning apparel that may or may not fit. Otherwise their main roll is to emulate an ostrich in regards to online parts sales; stick their head in the sand and hope it goes away. Prime example is when I had to replace a mirror on my VFR; Service Honda wanted ~$65 and could have it to my door in about 4 days, the largest Honda dealer in town wanted just under $100 and it would be over a week. "Can you get the mirror for a better price than that, it seems high?" was answered with "No, that's the price, take it or leave it". Tires seems to be about the same situation.

• 2 weeks later...

Harbour Freight, Cycle Hill, NoMar......DIYDS......why pay for what everyone can do it only takes a few times to learn....how many tires do you go through a year? By the end of this year my NoMar will be paid off in savings over stealers{dealers} and you can help your riding buds and mabey get a tip for the use of the tool.....hey a $10-$20 bill here and there ain't a bad deal.....I've gone from taking hours to changing a sport bike tire in 20 minutes....it can be done in far less time too.....dealer charging 25-35 -40 to mount and balance a tire ! one tire....do your own and it like Dire straights said "Money for nothing and your checks for free"

Rod :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I'm charging locals here $20 per wheel mount and balance if they remove the wheel and bring it in to my (garage) and $40 if I have to take it off their bike... a little more work, but a little more money....

And those prices are about half of what a dealership would charge....and even though I'm not racing anymore, I still have a hookup with a track vendor and can get tires pretty damn cheap. So I pass the savings on to my customers ( if that is the right word) they become friends after and hour in the garage with me :laugh: and they are tickled that they got such a great deal! Everyone wins!

Harbour Freight, Cycle Hill, NoMar......DIYDS......why pay for what everyone can do it only takes a few times to learn....how many tires do you go through a year? By the end of this year my NoMar will be paid off in savings over stealers{dealers} and you can help your riding buds and mabey get a tip for the use of the tool.....hey a $10-$20 bill here and there ain't a bad deal.....I've gone from taking hours to changing a sport bike tire in 20 minutes....it can be done in far less time too.....dealer charging 25-35 -40 to mount and balance a tire ! one tire....do your own and it like Dire straights said "Money for nothing and your checks for free"

Rod :laugh:

Not to get off subject. I always "thought" the song said "Your chicks for free".... guess I'll have to pay attention to the whole song next time... :blink:

I order over the internet, so I'm as guilty as the rest. I understand from where the shop owners are coming,as far as not wanting to put parts on a bike for you if you don't buy the parts from them. Having retired from FedEx, I know that there are storage warehouses FedEx can hold their stock in ( I think for free, or reduced rate) as long as they use FedEx to ship it. Point being is that it's a lot cheaper for a internet company to set up Per volume sales, than a small mc shop.

On the other hand I like to be able to have a shop where I can walk in, try on a helmet for size. Then go home an order it. So yes it's going to piss mc shop owners off. I guess we'll either have to do all of our own work or pay to make up for our using the internet to cut cost.

I also think "insurance" has been a tag-line since I was a kid, for just about anything that makes it easier for a shop to not have to get into a debate over why they do things the way that they want.

Just thought I'd shine a few more lights on the subject.

• Member Contributer

Rod :laugh:

Not to get off subject. I always "thought" the song said "Your chicks for free".... guess I'll have to pay attention to the whole song next time... :blink:

yes, it is chicks for free.

Archived