How Much To Lorica Boots Break In?

Rustbucket

• Member Contributer

Hi All,

I've been playing the mail order boot game (don't have any local dealers I like). I ordered up a set of Sidi B2's and a set of TCX SS's. I was really disappointed with the construction of the Oxtar's (sorry, TCX) - they just seemed flimsy. The B2's are a bit tight, and the spot where the toe slider screws in pushes on my pinky toe. I tried the size up, but they're just huge on me.

I'm wondering how much breakin I can expect from Lorica. If they were regular leather, I'd be inclined to keep them, figuring they'd loosen up a bit with time. Is that the case for fake leather, too, or should I be searching elsewhere.

If not, anyone have suggestions for a boot that runs a bit wider than the Sidi's? I had a set of Oxtar Matrix's that I was really happy with, but they're really worn out and I want something a bit more aggressive. Budget is about $250...

Just got some Sidi Vertigos myself, damn these things are tight, and mine are pretty tight on the pinky too. I normally wear a 9.5 or 10 tennis shoe, which is like a 43 I think, and the Sidi in that was just too big, so I got the 42, which is a bit tight.

Two work commute rides and one blast around town, they're still pretty tight. We'll see.

• Member Contributer

if the toe slider screw screws with your pinky to I'd say they are not for you.

Unless you have a good old fashioned cobbler in your area that has the tools to locally stretch out the material.

For boots, they either fit or they donot.

• Member Contributer
I'm wondering how much breakin I can expect from Lorica.

I've gone through several pairs (3 pair?) of Lorica boots in the last 15 years (currently have a pair of Sidi Strada Tepors and a pair of NOS Gaerne Stradas).

I have encountered no "stretch" to speak of.

IMHO, if they don't fit, and they are still in new condition & can be returned, then you may want to return them.

Ron

• Member Contributer

I had similar trouble with Sidi and Oxtar boots. I'm currently wearing a pair of Teknic boots that I really like. They are Lorica as well. I'm actually fairly pleased with Lorica - the Lorica boots I have owned have held up better than leather.

Also, for fit, you can do a lot using the tricks they use for ski boot fitting. Heel lifts will move the ball of your foot back a little, and relieve pressure from the toe area. They will also help if the boot cuffs are too tight.

You can also buy the larger boots and fill up some of that extra volume with insoles. Unfortunately a lot of the insoles found at the pharmacy are made of crappy soft foam that packs down instantly. You're better off with harder foam, in just the right shape. Or the gel inserts, though these need to be placed under the footbeds or they stick to your socks and move around when you put the boots on. You can also make your own inserts from neoprene mousepads, to fill the excess boot volume.

• Member Contributer
If not, anyone have suggestions for a boot that runs a bit wider than the Sidi's? I had a set of Oxtar Matrix's that I was really happy with, but they're really worn out and I want something a bit more aggressive. Budget is about $250...

I do not know if you normally use "wide" sizes in street shoes. If so, I will point out that Sidi does offer wide sizes in 2 of their models - the Way Mega Rain (which does not meet your "a bit more aggressive" requirement) and the Vertigo Mega Gore-tex (which does not meet your budget requirement).

I know that neither of those meets your specific requirements - but I thought I should mention them.

Best of luck - finding good footwear is a challenge (especially if you are looking for a model not carried by the local dealership).

Ron

• Member Contributer

I guess I'll be returning these. I don't usually wear a wide, but shoes are usually a bit tight for me when I buy them, and I rely on them to stretch out a bit over time. I'm probably halfway between a normal and a wide... I may just have to bite the bullet and get the Vertigo Mega's - i really like the Sidi designs, and have a credit at http://newenough.com, which primarily carried Alpinstars, TCX and Sidi. I guess I could give the A*Stars a shot...

I was going to go with the size up and use various tricks to fill the volume, but they're big enough that they really interfere with shifting, so I think that's not the best option. Worst case, I'll go with another set of Matrix's - I got 4 seasons out of them, and they have pretty good protective features... i'm not looking for 'bling' so much as extra protection in a spill.

I had similar experience with Lorica foots. They do not "break in the same wa y as leather boots do. Leather boots get a little roomier as you wear them but Lorica seems to mostly stay the same size, except they do get a bit softer with use. Lorica boots also seem to stay looking new for a longer time than leather boots because they seem to resist getting as many creases at the boot's flex areas, plus they seem to also repel moisture that could affect the boot's surface finish.

As for wider boots, you might want to check Alpinestars. IIRC, the Alpinestar boots that I've tried on through the years seem to have more room at the toe box area than most other Italian brands. Their mid level models do seem to fall a little below on quality when compared to SIDIs, Dainese and Gaerne boots (JMO).

If you do not mind the less racey look, the sport touring boots from Daytona called "Roadstars" are one of the most comfortable (they are slightly wide at the toe box area), most protective and best built/durable boots out there. I have a pair that are close to 15 years old, and except for the cracking/peeling shifter patches and the well worn (but no holes) soles, most of the boots seem to be ready for another 5 years of riding. A bit pricey though, compared to other ST boots, but well worth the investment IMO.

I recently bought myself a pair of Puma GP1000s,

PUMA20100020Motorcycle20Boots20NIGH.jpg

at clearance price from a local bike accesories shop ($170.00!), to finally replace the Daytonas and they are a big surprise too. They could be one of the most comfortable Race boots I have tried on. Despite of having all the stiff plastic and metal bracing/shell/pivots on the outside that makes them look almost like ski boots, the designers at Puma were suceesful in isolating the foot from all the hard parts and pieces and maintaining as much freedom of movement of the foot (in the right directions), making them surprisingly very comfortable on and off the bike. You might want to check them out too because they are going for good prices at some retailers because the second version of the boots were just released this summer. They do tend to run a little narrow at the toes so if your feet are wide, they might not work for you.

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

I had a pair of those Daytonas. They were wonderfully comfy and the armor was topnotch. Unfortunately they are VERY expensive, and they're also darned hard to find in the USA. The only official distribution channel for them, in the USA, is through Helimot.

I got mine from Acton Motomarket in Acton, MA, but when I wore them out and went back for another pair, their stock was thin and they didn't have my size. They told me that Helimot rarely ever was able to send them any boots, everything was always out of stock there. They got the boots they had, by buying them retail in Germany. Sheer speculation here, but I'm wondering if Helimot is just not set up to be a distributor to other stores - aren't they mainly a high end retailer that makes custom leathers and sells them retail? Perhaps supplying boots at wholesale to a small store on the other side of the country is just not very high on Helimot's to-do list.

If I ever get to Germany again, shopping for moto gear is high on my list of things to do.

The Teknic boots I am wearing now, are similar to the Pumas you describe. Lots of hard armor on the outside, kinda ski-boot looking, but well insulated from my feet and ankles, and nicely articulated so the boots are easy to walk in and don't have pressure points.

d2d47329a4e5ae33c39df4f000037615_rough.jpg

I had a pair of those Daytonas. They were wonderfully comfy and the armor was topnotch. Unfortunately they are VERY expensive, and they're also darned hard to find in the USA. The only official distribution channel for them, in the USA, is through Helimot.

I got mine from Acton Motomarket in Acton, MA, but when I wore them out and went back for another pair, their stock was thin and they didn't have my size. They told me that Helimot rarely ever was able to send them any boots, everything was always out of stock there. They got the boots they had, by buying them retail in Germany. Sheer speculation here, but I'm wondering if Helimot is just not set up to be a distributor to other stores - aren't they mainly a high end retailer that makes custom leathers and sells them retail? Perhaps supplying boots at wholesale to a small store on the other side of the country is just not very high on Helimot's to-do list.

If I ever get to Germany again, shopping for moto gear is high on my list of things to do.

The Teknic boots I am wearing now, are similar to the Pumas you describe. Lots of hard armor on the outside, kinda ski-boot looking, but well insulated from my feet and ankles, and nicely articulated so the boots are easy to walk in and don't have pressure points.

d2d47329a4e5ae33c39df4f000037615_rough.jpg

Glad to hear you agree with me on the Daytona Roadstars!

I did get mine from Helimot a loooooong time ago, and like you said, even back then they were expensive.

Not sure if they were/are still a big distributor of the brand, but I remember that they do know their stuff when it comes to providing the customer information on the products they sell and giving good advice on which one to get.

BTW, they use to be the prime (sole?) US distributor for HELD gloves which I also bought from them in the past, but they let that sole distributorship go when they supposedly noticed a drop in quality with the HELD gloves after they moved their production from Germany to the far east.

Beck

95 VFR

Nice find on the Bates' boots, those are awesome! I was in the Marine Corps so I can tell you they're probably comfy. I wonder how fast the toes would wear after a good polishing?? :fing02: I had no idea they made that type though, very cool. Oh and here's Helimot's American distributor in San Jose:

http://www.helimot.com/shopcontactus.asp

Best fitting boots (or even shoes) I've ever owned.

Custom fitted for my funky azz feet. :laugh:

In your price range. :fing02:

Z Custom

• Member Contributer

I ended up ordering a set of the Vortice Mega's and set of the A*Stars SMX-5's - if those don't fit, I'll probably just get a set of the new Matrix's (the name escapes me at the moment). I have a $200 credit at NewEnough, so I'm trying to find something from them that fits before going elsewhere. If the Vortice's fit, I'll just keep them, and screw the budget... We shall see.

In the future, I will definitely not be going mail order for boots!

Thanks for all the input!

I ended up ordering a set of the Vortice Mega's and set of the A*Stars SMX-5's - if those don't fit, I'll probably just get a set of the new Matrix's (the name escapes me at the moment). I have a $200 credit at NewEnough, so I'm trying to find something from them that fits before going elsewhere. If the Vortice's fit, I'll just keep them, and screw the budget... We shall see.

In the future, I will definitely not be going mail order for boots!

Thanks for all the input!

I got a pair of SMX-5's earlier this year, the waterproof version. I normally wear EE width shoes and these boots have been good on the width and fit. They were a little tight across the toe box for my claustrophobic feet, but I expanded them a touch in that area and they've been fantastic since. I can tell you that the waterproof fits a little more snug all around than the standard or vented version b/c of the addition of the waterproof liner inside.

Best of luck with your search.

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to post a little up date on my Sidi Vertigo Air's. Some have said that they don't stretch but mine in fact have. They were definitely uncomfortable when I got them. My feet would actually start falling asleep a little bit and I'd be hankering to stop so I could put stomp my feet to get a little circulation back. But no worries now, they fit like the typical glove.

As for the shape of my foot, I have a high arch, medium width. This didn't seem to be an issue from the beginning, as the tightest part of the boot was in the toe area.

I have the Sidi B-2's and got lucky that they fit me real well. They are a bit tight around the ankle, the only time I notice is when zipping them up. Once on they're proper. I dont think the Lorica will stretch much but it will get a bit softer after 5-6 longinh rides.

I've just started to really use my Dainese TCI boots that I bought a couple of years ago as a backup when my Daytonas finally break down and they are the first all Lorica boots for me.

Two things i noticed are, the boots tend to be stiffer than leather boots I had in the past, so I end up walking like I have ski boots on, specially because they have a big amount of forward cant built in.

So, compared to leather boots, I find them harder to "break in". I can confirm though that due to the stiffness of the material, the boots tend to look brand new much longer and not develop the usual creases you expect on a leather boot.

I do have to say that although I have not gotten to use my Puma GP1000s yet, they feel much more comfortable walking around in than the Dainese TCIs. It all comes down to Puma providing softer bellows type panels the main flex/pressure areas of the boot, so I don't think that I will have to break them in at all to feel comfortable in them. so if designed correctly, Lorica boots can be as comfortable from the start.

Beck

95 VFR

Ha ha! (Pokes with stick, a la Trace)

My last three pairs of boots have been StylMartins (made in Italy). All leather, and instantly comfortable. Even went hiking in my last pair.

Current ones aren't completely all leather though - they have seven (7!) carbon fibre panels in each inner boot.

Oh - and they're 100% waterproof.

I was going to buy some Sidis this time, but the StylSafe were so much more comfy; I have wide, flat feet, so getting comfy shoes and boots is potentially problematic.

Archived