How To Keep From Scratching The Top Triple?

fastbroshi

Hey guy and gals, I'm trying to figure out a good way to keep from scratching my top triple any more than it is. I only have one other key on the ring w/ my motorcycle key, and the damn thing flutters around and scratches the top triple - you know what I'm talking about.

I'm trying to figure out a good solution to keep this from happening, wether it's a key sleeve of some sort or key ring that's detachable in some way with gloves on that's small enough and quiet at speed (ie no clink clink). Ideas?

• Member Contributer
Use one key? Thats what I do anyway :biggrin:

There you go.

If you want to keep the bike key on a key ring, attached it with a small carabiner and remove the key when using it.

• Member Contributer

A small piece of vinyl tubing will slide perfectly over your key and prevent it from getting those black marks on your triple clamp. You can get a foot of it at any hardware store for a few cents, and you can easily cut it to different lengths for different keys, or keep it around for when you lose it!

I can take a picture if you need me to, but it's pretty simple.

smile.gif

• Member Contributer
Use one key? Thats what I do anyway :biggrin:

There you go.

If you want to keep the bike key on a key ring, attached it with a small carabiner and remove the key when using it.

Yup...just use the one key. I have a key ring on my bike's key that is small enough that it doesn't touch anything else. When I remove the key, it gets added to the rest of my keys.

That's an interesting bit.

I just put my 4 or 5 rings of keys I use on a carabiner to keep them together so I can find them when I need them.

Other keys go in a box.

I don't want to carry around 10 or 20 keys all the time. Three to five to a ring, max. :cool:

Here's what I use:

167.jpg

Keeps my bike paperwork and keys (I have separate ones for helmet lock and tank) in one nice, small package.

Slips right into my jacket pocket.

When it's time to ride, I just unclip my key and start 'er up!

• 2 weeks later...

Guys,

I have to agree with the poster who simply stated use one key.....unless you are the school janitor and are in need of them all the time.....I love to see someone with pagers phones and three keyrings ...are you going riding or going to work.....heaven forbid gravity take over and you go for a tumble with that stuff hooked to ya...friction is gonna leave ya with a mark not soon forgotten...ONE key for me please.....I got a wall of peg board in my "Old Guys Garage" and a place for keys....blessed/curssed with five bikes so keeping up with keys is important...when I leave out I get my VFR key, get to where I am going it goes in my watch pockewt,when I get back home bike goes in garage, the key goes back on the wall.....Haven't lost a key in years....

Rod

• Member Contributer

A bit off topic, but related.

What's the best way to fix/cover up the scratches?

• Member Contributer
A bit off topic, but related.

What's the best way to fix/cover up the scratches?

Remove and re-paint, or one of those stick on decals.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

mine was already scratched up, but why don't you just flick the keys over the ignition like so.

IMG00014.jpg

Archived