Bike Disc Lock W/security Alarm

Guest HondaGuy86

Guest HondaGuy86

Ever since the attempted theft of my bike I have been looking into better bike security. It will be garaged most likely from now on but I still am looking into a one of the Disc Locks with a built in alarm. They have a dual shock sensor and motion sensor that sets off an alarm...

XENA Disc lock @ Cyclegear

Figured that wasn't too bad for keeping it under $100 bucks... question is, is it effective? :laugh:

Anyone have experience with these?

• Member Contributer

I love mine. Works great. Gotta have fresh batteries, in it, or it will chirp at you, overnight, then 600+ miles home, from T-Mac. LOL.

• Member Contributer

I like my lock, but the electronic beeper wouldn't work right out of the box, contacted Xena several times and just got ignored.

• Member Contributer
I like my lock, but the electronic beeper wouldn't work right out of the box, contacted Xena several times and just got ignored.

Wow. Even with fresh batteries? (Not the ones that come with it, they can be packaged up, for some time). Sorry to hear they' have been diss'n you. That is un- exceptable.

Works well and is very loud. I've had mine for about two years with the pre-packaged set of batteries. :laugh: I suggest a brighter color to act as a visual deterrent also.

Anything helps, but it's always best to try and anchor the bike down to something solid with a big chain and lock or find a guarded parking space. Remember, it only takes three guys lifting your bike with alarm wailing into a big van a few seconds and driving away to somewhere where they'll take their time taking your locks off and disable any alarms you miht have.......and don't think that anyone will even try to stop them unless it's a LEO that happens to be in the area.

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer
They also have disk-locks with reminder curley-cables that you can stretch to throttle..... Monk

I found a small round magnet that perfectly covers the ignition key hole. I place it there every time I park the bike. I have never forgotten to remove the lock.

They also have disk-locks with reminder curley-cables that you can stretch to throttle..... Monk

I found a small round magnet that perfectly covers the ignition key hole. I place it there every time I park the bike. I have never forgotten to remove the lock.

Another thing you can do to avoid disaster with a disc lock is to place it where you would not be able to roll the bike in the direction that you will be setting off from your parking spot. I always place it right against the fork leg or brake caliper so I could not roll to far and build up any momentum to bust the caliper bracket or drop the bike. The habit saved me at least a couple of times already when I was in a hurry to get on and go on the bike. Learned my lesson many years ago when I broke off the front caliper bracket on my Hawk GT when I forgot about my disc lock leaving work. Had to ride 25 miles home in the dark with my front caliper tied to the fork leg and no front brakes. It was a long, slow and scary ride with just the rear brake working.

Beck

95 VFR

Anything helps, but it's always best to try and anchor the bike down to something solid with a big chain and lock or find a guarded parking space. Remember, it only takes three guys lifting your bike with alarm wailing into a big van a few seconds and driving away to somewhere where they'll take their time taking your locks off and disable any alarms you miht have.......and don't think that anyone will even try to stop them unless it's a LEO that happens to be in the area.

Beck

95 VFR

Exactly!!!

• Member Contributer

Personally,.....

I put the lock right against the caliper, and put the zena lock case, over my ignition.

I'm picking up one of these disc locks this arvo. $59 aud...

If 3 big guys want my bike they would probably have a big bolt cutters anyway to cut through the cable lock I use too... Lucky mines just an old mans touring bike, and there are many more sporty looking bikes in the same bike park.

• Member Contributer

Wow. Even with fresh batteries? (Not the ones that come with it, they can be packaged up, for some time). Sorry to hear they' have been diss'n you. That is un- exceptable.

Mine was/is overly sensitive , co-workers that were near the parking lot reported quite a few false alarms,

same thing at home (under cover out of the wind and weather).

Batteries were replaced, both led and reflector were cleaned, improved a bit but still has false alarms.

• Member Contributer

Nothing's perfect, but I plan to use it to alert me so I can prevent the "right out of my garage" scenario. I think it would also work well when parked just ouside a motel room on a trip. I've ordered an XX model.

• Member Contributer

Before I had a garage I actually had a Scorpion alarm system I installed on my VFR. Motion sensor would warn people away if they got too close, ignition kill if alarm was activated and it flashed all the running lights along with the siren. The draw back was the FOB battery life sucked. I was replacing those small batteries every other month when I have a car alarm FOB that is still running on it's original batteries from 5 years ago. Aside from that it was a great alarm system for a small peace of mind as I had the front disc locked and it chained to a pole with right outside my apartment window under a motorcycle cover every night hidden behind my car.

One day I may get the FOB replaced and put the alarm back in my VFR once we start doing longer road trips. :lurk:

• Member Contributer

I've had one of the Xena disc locks for several years and am very happy with it. I only use it when I stop somewhere and will be off the bike/out of sight. Normally I keep the bike in my garage at home and at work we park in a private garage with security cameras and a designated bike area that can't be seen from any of the streets or garage entrances. I've never heard of anybody having a problem so I don't bother with it there. I'd bet it's really loud in a parking garage!

I like the magnet over the key hole idea as a warning, but I bought a coiled line "thingy" like Monk mentioned to attach across my handle bars to remind me. It's orange with a built in loop at each end and I got it for $2 so it works for me.

One bit of advice is to put your earplugs in before trying to disarm/remove it until you get the hang of it. It is pretty darn loud when you are crouched down next to it and you accidentally move the lock while trying to insert your key. Surprisingly, it doesn't take as much movement as I thought to set it off. Also, sometimes the angle isn't real good and just a slight bump may cause the lock to rotate and set it off.

I appreciate all the feedback! I luckily should be moved into a house next semester with a garage to keep the bike in and here in Knoxville she is garaged as well... may still get one just to be safe and use when necessary. I never even knew they had alarms on the disc locks for so cheap til a few weeks ago when I saw one in a MC magazine. Would like to put a full alarm on the bike but do not wanna spend that kinda money and if alarm systems arent installed properly they can cause MAJOR MAJOR electrical headaches.

Thanks again for all the feedback! :comp13:

Archived