Rc-51 Tail Section Installed

douglasthecook

Ok, here's my attempt at doing a "How to" thread, so please forgive me as this is my first try...

http://s107.photobucket.com/albums/m317/douglasthecook/

As you should be able to see from the album, I made some links out of 195mm X 195mm square extrusion. I took it to a local machinist for cutting and drilling. The proto type link was/is just that. The final links were/are a little different in the way they are cut. There is a 5mm gap between the front of the seat when installed, and the tank. I'm still debating on if I want to have shorter links fabbed up, or just install a seal on the leading edge of the seat and be done with it. I also have to make a cover panel to cover the gap where the stock fairing goes flush to the tank and main frame of the bike. I also am debating on if I want to make an aluminum battery box to mount the battery in the stock location, or leave it where it is. I am currently using the stock VFR battery, if I were to get the battery for the RC-51, then I could use the battery box cover which I have. The most difficult part of this was determining the proper length of the links, and setting the angle of the tail section to where I wanted it to be. This is a complete bolt-on mod, no cutting of either sub-frame was required. I could go back to stock in about an hour or so if I wanted to, but why should I? This saved me right around 17 pounds in weight. The weight savings is a total to include sub-frame, seat, seat cowl and inner fender. I'm also trying to sort out what to do with the fuel pump and filter. I'm looking at getting some new hoses and fittings and possibly relocating them to where the battery used to reside. If you have any questions, just ask, and I'll do my best to answer them. Please keep in mind that these are also my track day plastics, and a really beat up RC tail fairing, as if I couldn't get this to work, I didn't want to sink alot of $$$ into parts that I don't really have a use for. Ok, so it wasn't really a how to, as more of a this is what I did...

Guest Radioaktiv

looks really great

i love seeing the different tails on the 4th and 5th gens

good shot here of your handywork

IMG_8942.jpg

Turned out very well Doug :fing02:

Instead of a cover panel, maybe fabricate a mesh cover like the VF1000R has behind the tank.

And what about ditching the license plate light with a smaller one that fits almost flush with the tail lights so you can also remove the bracket it is currently mounted on? Or use the tailight itself to illuminate the license plate by cutting out a small section of the bottom of the taillight and replacing it with a piece of clear plastic. Just like the Euro VFR license plate lights.

Give me some time, and I'll have that gap sorted out. Just looking for the right material. As far as the license plate mount and light go, I'm still looking at creating a better mount as well, just not had the time lately to attack it like I want to. I also have a few more tricks up my sleeve....Watch this space in around 45 days...

• Member Contributer
Give me some time, and I'll have that gap sorted out. Just looking for the right material. As far as the license plate mount and light go, I'm still looking at creating a better mount as well, just not had the time lately to attack it like I want to. I also have a few more tricks up my sleeve....Watch this space in around 45 days...

Good to see you have rear subfame on and plugged in. Just looked at your pics and am thinking have you simply added the four lengths to extend the subframe so it attaches? And for strength, have you added any cross struts between the extension legs,(top to bottom on either or both sides am thinking) as im guessing if its just held together with the strength of the four bolts it might poss flex and fail at the wrong time?(just a thaught)

Have you tried using sheet carbon fibre before? Gaps and bodywork are siple to make as carbon sheet is stong but flexable all at the same time. Oh and unpainted looks the nuts corse.(just another thaught)

Good to see you have rear subfame on and plugged in. Just looked at your pics and am thinking have you simply added the four lengths to extend the subframe so it attaches? And for strength, have you added any cross struts between the extension legs,(top to bottom on either or both sides am thinking) as im guessing if its just held together with the strength of the four bolts it might poss flex and fail at the wrong time?(just a thaught)

Have you tried using sheet carbon fibre before? Gaps and bodywork are siple to make as carbon sheet is stong but flexable all at the same time. Oh and unpainted looks the nuts corse.(just another thaught)

I am thinking of making a CF panel, just gotta source the proper resin here in Germany. So far I had done track time at Valencia, Spain, with the RC tail installed and didn't have any flex issues that I could feel. I also checked the bolts for security after, and they were still all tight. I did think of adding some verticle struts between the horizontal struts for additional strength, but don't really think that is necessary at this time. I will re-evaulate this after more time just to see. The four links were to take up the difference between the RC-51 frame, and the VFR frame, as the RC has an extension that faces aft. I also wanted to keep this a bolt-on mod, so I could go back to stock if it didn't look right, or work.

Edited by douglasthecook

• Member Contributer

Ok, this one is done very nice indeed!

Next is the radial brake front forks right?

:blink:

• Member Contributer

Hopefully. My mechanic already has the parts, he just needs to check compatibility. He wasn't 100% sure that the fork lowers were interchangeable, and he didn't want to take mine apart and not have it work, so he ordered a bunged up 954 fork leg to see of the 1000RR fork lower will screw on. Hopefully I'll do this mid to late June. That'll probably be the last upgrade for the summer. Does your Akro pipe have the EU stamp on it by chance, and where is a good place to source EU compliant exhaust?

Edited by douglasthecook

• Member Contributer
I am thinking of making a CF panel, just gotta source the proper resin here in Germany. So far I had done track time at Valencia, Spain, with the RC tail installed and didn't have any flex issues that I could feel. I also checked the bolts for security after, and they were still all tight. I did think of adding some verticle struts between the horizontal struts for additional strength, but don't really think that is necessary at this time. I will re-evaulate this after more time just to see. The four links were to take up the difference between the RC-51 frame, and the VFR frame, as the RC has an extension that faces aft. I also wanted to keep this a bolt-on mod, so I could go back to stock if it didn't look right, or work.

Talking of CF you can either buy flat sheet avaliable fleabay for example, altho the price has shot up since i last did same exercise.

As my last job was a boat builder,(good place to pick up a kilo or two of resin!) we used general purpose resin in some of the CF and kevlar layups i did, so shouldent be a problem if you wanted to lay up some carbon mat for this job, prob backed by some glass fibre or a sheet of kevlar behind for more strength. Glass tissue for backing/ first layup for carbon top will be fine tho. Theres no big secrets invoved here.

The horizontal strut idea is a good one i agree, triangles are where the strength and reliabilty will come from over time, will make the subframme adaptor solid and the bolts take less of the stress. Keep up the work, im just waiting on me rearsets to turn up, then ill be getting stuck into adding me ducati front subframe. That reminds me i need to order some Ally...

Wonder if you ever did sort out that front clocks thing? A simple honda race exchange would be nice, but nothings as simple in the end. lol

Edited by B4D80Y

• Member Contributer

Very nice adaptation. You can probably fabricate some sort of covers for the area aroung the tank and subframe.

Talking of CF you can either buy flat sheet avaliable fleabay for example, altho the price has shot up since i last did same exercise.

As my last job was a boat builder,(good place to pick up a kilo or two of resin!) we used general purpose resin in some of the CF and kevlar layups i did, so shouldent be a problem if you wanted to lay up some carbon mat for this job, prob backed by some glass fibre or a sheet of kevlar behind for more strength. Glass tissue for backing/ first layup for carbon top will be fine tho.

Wonder if you ever did sort out that front clocks thing? A simple honda race exchange would be nice, but nothings as simple in the end. lol

I'll probably wait to do the gauge swap out this winter, as I'm trying to limit my downtime, and maximize my riding time. I did consider doing the main panel in fiberglas, then covering it with a sheet of CF. We'll see though, it all depends on what I can get here. I have enough material to make a vertical support link, but again, want to wait for a few months before I tear into her again. I gotta let the patient recover between surgeries after-all!!!

Thanks for all the kind words. I wasn't really sure of this would work or not. FotoMoto was a major source of inspiration on this project. Heck, all the work that has gone into my VFR is the fault of VFRD and VFR World, as without all you helping me out, and pointing the way, none of this would have been thought of, or even attempted!!!

• Member Contributer

Hopefully. My mechanic already has the parts, he just needs to check compatibility. He wasn't 100% sure that the fork lowers were interchangeable, and he didn't want to take mine apart and not have it work, so he ordered a bunged up 954 fork leg to see of the 1000RR fork lower will screw on. Hopefully I'll do this mid to late June. That'll probably be the last upgrade for the summer. Does your Akro pipe have the EU stamp on it by chance, and where is a good place to source EU compliant exhaust?

The the Akra is street legal and has the markings.

If der Polizei is really picky though, they ask for the paperwork/look up the reference number on the pipe and find it is for a GSX-R750.....

:cool:

SCAN0123.jpg

• 1 month later...