Best Place To Buy Oem Parts

billyjackjimbob

• Member Contributer

So, I'm pretty sure that my own handy work is to blame for my electrical problems. When I installed my Microns I managed to not get the wiring harness back into it's rightful place and long story short.... it's crushed flatter than a pancake under my left thigh.

Called my local STEALER and they want $500 for the main harness. I've found it for $359 at Cycle Parts Nation and am thinking I'll drop the other $70 to get the front end of the harness as well to replace anything that may be damaged up there (one of the main lamp plugs is burn up pretty bad).

My question is.... Anyone know of a better vendor than Cycle Parts Nation?

Kevin

PS

Anyone wanna "help" with the install? LOL

:goofy: WESTERN HONDA!! :biggrin:

So, I'm pretty sure that my own handy work is to blame for my electrical problems. When I installed my Microns I managed to not get the wiring harness back into it's rightful place and long story short.... it's crushed flatter than a pancake under my left thigh.

Called my local STEALER and they want $500 for the main harness. I've found it for $359 at Cycle Parts Nation and am thinking I'll drop the other $70 to get the front end of the harness as well to replace anything that may be damaged up there (one of the main lamp plugs is burn up pretty bad).

My question is.... Anyone know of a better vendor than Cycle Parts Nation?

Kevin

PS

Anyone wanna "help" with the install? LOL

I don't make the whole harness, just a jumper part to help the charging system. I can however repair your harness if you would like, I have done a couple of those setups...basically replace any wires that are damaged with good sections.

• Member Contributer

I would be careful with replacing your main harness with another harness from another bike. I'm pretty sure the main harness is different between ABS and non-ABS models, and although I can't say with certainty, I think the harnesses are different on models made after 2005. So I would be leery of a harness off a parted bike, and if it was me, I would just repair the damaged section of the crushed harness, because if you ask me, that would be a lot easier than removing and replacing the main harness.

• Member Contributer

So, took the rear apart again and with the bike running I pushed on the flattened part of the harness and the bike's timing changed. I mean BIG TIME. I had the throttle open to 4k to check the current. Looked pretty solid at 12-14v with fan running and high beams at 4k. But, when I manipulated the harness the RPMs would dive to like 2k. The bike would sputter and then return to 4k on its own.

Is this new data leading to the conclusion that I have a short in the flattened part of the harness? That is my guess. Experts? If you guys believe this is further evidence of a short due to a crushed wire... would you like to speculate on the posibility to find the damaged wire/wires and repair them? (I'm thinking splice fresh wire for the damaged ones) Any input is very WELCOME.

Kevin

I think if you cut (very carefully) the harness outer layer, you will be able to find the wires causing the issue. It could be one going open, not shorting out even.

• Member Contributer

Got the Harness repair completed today. Everything "seems" to be fine. I have all four head lights working and both... yes both tail lights working both as running lights and brake lights. I think the battery is pretty much shot but that's easy to replace. Thanks to all that gave advice. Now to see if it will hold.

Kevin

• Member Contributer

Congrats Kev,

Did you happen to check the resistance or voltage drop through the lines you repaired? I know they work, just a double check to make sure there aren't any problems there later...

• Member Contributer

About 1/2 through getting the whole thing together I dropped my meter.... it wouldn't read anything after that. So, no I haven't checked anything much after the repair. It's pouring the rain here all weekend but, I have let it run for like an hour with the throttlemiester holding the rpms at like 4k with highbeams on and the fan working overtime to keep it cool. Everything held. All the lamps burning after the test. (please don't preech to me about letting it run for an hour... LOL I know it's not the best for the bike)

Kevin

• Member Contributer

Service Honda...everytime....

Archived